Hardcore Sledder banner

1996 Indy 500 SKS Clutch

1359 2
Gentlemen,

I am working on rebuilding the clutch on my 1996 Indy 500 SKS carb. I have the clutch off and the top cover & spring removed. I made a spider lock nut removal tool out of a couple of large sockets weleded together and removed the lock nut. I then made a spider removal tool which grips the spider and adapts to a 1/2 inch square drive. My problem is that I can't seem to get the spider loose. I am preventing the clutch from rotating by clamping two large bolts in a vise and placing the clutch over them as the tools I have seen do. I took a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe on the spider tool and I still can't get it loose. I tried heating the spider by where the threads are to no avail. I have also soaked the area in penetrating oil as well.

I realize the spider is at about 235 lb-ft of torque but with the breaker bar I should of been able to break it loose. I suspect the aluminum spider is corroded to threads on the metal shaft. Any ideas on how to get this rascal loose without wrecking the clutch? I need to remove it to replace the movable sheave bushing.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Steve :banghead:
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey excess11,

Thanks for the reply! I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb. I am turning it the correct way - thanks for the double check.

I'll keep fighting with it and see what I can do.

Thanks again!

Steve :div20:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.