Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I am working on rebuilding the clutch on my 1996 Indy 500 SKS carb. I have the clutch off and the top cover & spring removed. I made a spider lock nut removal tool out of a couple of large sockets weleded together and removed the lock nut. I then made a spider removal tool which grips the spider and adapts to a 1/2 inch square drive. My problem is that I can't seem to get the spider loose. I am preventing the clutch from rotating by clamping two large bolts in a vise and placing the clutch over them as the tools I have seen do. I took a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe on the spider tool and I still can't get it loose. I tried heating the spider by where the threads are to no avail. I have also soaked the area in penetrating oil as well.

I realize the spider is at about 235 lb-ft of torque but with the breaker bar I should of been able to break it loose. I suspect the aluminum spider is corroded to threads on the metal shaft. Any ideas on how to get this rascal loose without wrecking the clutch? I need to remove it to replace the movable sheave bushing.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Steve :banghead:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like you are doing it right,it must just be stuck!!! Book says 200ft.lbs for p85 and p90 clutches. Says it is standard thread,counterclockwise to remove. Hit it with an impactgun if you got one. My impact goes to 600ft.lbs in reverse. Usually a couple of quick blipps of the trigger and its loose.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey excess11,

Thanks for the reply! I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb. I am turning it the correct way - thanks for the double check.

I'll keep fighting with it and see what I can do.

Thanks again!

Steve :div20:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts