Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1995 polaris xlt 600 triple with slp pipes and triple air filters. It sat for around 15 years so that give you an idea of what things look like. After cleaning out the gas tank thst the gauge had rusted in and soak cleaned carbs and doing fuel and oil lines I got it running. Put some oil in with the gas and some sea foam to really clean it out. Left the old spark plugs in it as I put a little 2 stroke oil in the cylinders because I knew it woukd take alot of pulling dry. It fired off just the oil then pulled until it ran. It was back firing when let off after higher rmp on the stand so changed out to new plugs. It stopped backfiring now itll rev up to about 3800 rmp and drop down to 1000 and idle then die after about 15 seconds. Adjust the idle screws and took it for a little ride. When given throttle itll run fine but once you let off to idle it dies. Currently has 230 jets in it. Not sure why it does this and if I should change jetting or what.

·
Registered
43,116 Posts
By the sound of it the carbs either are not set properly, that includes being in sync, or they need cleaning better. At any rate bad idea running triple pipes on that engine. Seen too many 95 600 engines like that with cranks out of phase.

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,266 Posts
Check the compression. Sounds like a weak cylinder. Check it cold and when HOT.

·
Registered
241 Posts
dies at idle, could be pilot jet dirty, or air idle set screw. too much out, flooding or too little out, leaning. I usually go to what they say like 1 turn out then about 1/8the to 1/4 more just to get it smooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dies at idle, could be pilot jet dirty, or air idle set screw. too much out, flooding or too little out, leaning. I usually go to what they say like 1 turn out then about 1/8the to 1/4 more just to get it smooth.
Last night cleaner the pilot jets they were plugged i didn't even think about them before. Runs great now thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts