Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I've got over 8000 miles on It and 125psi compression and not one problem. And if the sled is set up right there shouldn't be many problems at all. I've herd of some of these sleds with over 12000 miles with nothing being done to the engine except yearly maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Snowmobile.com App
Right on my 1994 had over 6,000 miles in three years no problems, other guy put several more on with no issues (except exhaust gasket common issue very messy same with Ultras), heard about some with 14,000 miles it was the Sask. stock drag champ in 1994. 38 will add maybe 2-4 hp but you will lose lots of MPG, stock 34 get 16 mpg riding WFO it is great and an easy starter jut pull the rope six inches.

·
Registered
45,655 Posts
Thanks for all the info, helps a lot! And It looks like next winter I'm going to rebuild the engine, replace the crank, clutch it, port it and put on some 38mm carbs. Hope it makes a difference.
And what are the risks with any of these upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Snowmobile.com App
There is always a bigger risk of losing a crank....just a matter of when. A known risk factor is your wallet will be lighter with very little in return if any to show for all your efforts. Imo...why waste your time on this project when there are far better sleds to work with. :wall:

·
Premium Member
10,381 Posts
X2. Ridden casually on good trails with good maintenance these sleds did well left stock. Only 600 motors seen that lasted with triple pipes were poorly tuned not making a whole lot of hp over a good running stocker. Some of the older 580 xlts with pipes held up better but then again never made the hp a 600 did with the porting and 38 mm carbs.
ALL the 600's I piped and tuned made MORE power, got BETTER fuel mileage, and LASTED longer than stock.

I saw WAAAAAAY more problems with the Ultra 680 cranks.
I NEVER broke a mono block 580/597 crank.

Witnessed a few KICK ASS mono blocks WIN races!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to def agree with you on that! My 94lngtrk & 98sp crankd the big boys n the day at 660' and on long hauls with gearing for the conditions. The 94 loved the Slp's with stingers(not the later canned 1) and the 98Sp liked Aaens. Had 12tho on the 94, yes i rebuilt and welded crank at 6000ish miles, drilled the oil galleys just like the old 500's and cleaned up transfer's and exhaust side. I twisted the piss out a the 94. The 98 id run 9200. Didnt have lot money in them other then time dialin in.

·
Premium Member
10,381 Posts
I have to def agree with you on that! My 94lngtrk & 98sp crankd the big boys n the day at 660' and on long hauls with gearing for the conditions. The 94 loved the Slp's with stingers(not the later canned 1) and the 98Sp liked Aaens. Had 12tho on the 94, yes i rebuilt and welded crank at 6000ish miles, drilled the oil galleys just like the old 500's and cleaned up transfer's and exhaust side. I twisted the piss out a the 94. The 98 id run 9200. Didnt have lot money in them other then time dialin in.
My 93 --I ported, piped, 38's, had Ross do the crank. Ran it at 10,300- to 10,500
I pissed alot of Mach Z's off with that sled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do a search on this forum for XLT clutching, I found lots of info last winter about proper setup. On my 96 XLT SP I ended up with the stock primary spring (Blue 120-300) and weights (10-MB), an SLP-BLK secondary spring (44-66), and a 42/34 helix. Make sure you shim your belt to .015-.020" clearance also. I am very happy with the response and backshifting with setup - way snappier than stock!

·
Registered
1 Posts
that is really all you can do, i just got done doing xtra 10 all around on mine and a bar riser. i have a can (not sure of brand) and its pretty loud. clutching is the best thing you can do for yourself, maybe doing different jets on the carbs but that will cause alot of hassle tuning it.
How much hp would a mbrp exhaust add for a 96 600 xlt?

·
Registered
45,655 Posts
Actually a 95 xlt with triple aaen pipes made 18 hp on our dyno. Don't even bother buying an aftermarket can for a stock 95 xlt. You won't gain a thing. Only a good aggressive port job with at least 38mm carbs will.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually a 95 xlt with triple aaen pipes made 18 hp on our dyno. Don't even bother buying an aftermarket can for a stock 95 xlt. You won't gain a thing. Only a good aggressive port job with at least 38mm carbs will.
i just did some porting on one, nothing crazy but cleaned up the transfers and exhaust ports. see if the famous xlt bog goes away.

·
Registered
45,655 Posts
i just did some porting on one, nothing crazy but cleaned up the transfers and exhaust ports. see if the famous xlt bog goes away.
I doubt the bog will go away unless you run a polaris 7041080 blue spring. Add 38 mm tmx carbs and is surely will. You can get rid of the bog also by swapping the xlt head gasket for the optional thinner xcr one, but that brings up other detonation issues if running anything less than 93 octane fuels. Imo, these sleds should have had coolers under the tunnel like newer sleds, not running board ones. I had to install a nosecone radiator in my 95 600 xcr to keep it running cool enough. Left 100% bone stock the 95 xlt is fine, but increase the hp...more engine heat, they can get ugly fast.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts