Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy with a ZR700 and it is absoltly gut less off the line or in deep snow. once it is moving it seems to be OK but you basicly have to be going down hill or pushing it to get it to move. The motor seems to be running fine but boggs under load. Top end is fine.

Does any one have any thoughts on what the problem might be??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Have your first................

-removed / cleaned and serviced both clutches?
-replaced primary spring?
-aligned the clutches?
-set belt deflection?
-confirmed track is set correctly?
-checked driveshaft / wheels bearings / changed the chain case oil and set the chain?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
clutching ...

powervalves stuck open ...

track ,chain,skid binding...

bearings ...

put it on a secure track stand ,with the hood open and the engine running hold the brake to give the system some resistance and give it the gas to see what the clutching is doing ... is the primary spining on the belt ? is the belt getting sucked into the secondary ? does the clutching look like itsfunctioning correctly but it seems like something in the drive or skid is holding it back ? then get back to us ...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree 100 % with clutch concerns being the no. 1 thing to look at. I had a zr700 and correcting center to distance and belt deflection made a big differnce in bottom end. Too much deflection can cause a "starting off in second gear"feeling. You didn't mention the year but if it is an early one with twin pipes and VM carbs , mine benefitted greatly from installing and setting up correctly with UFOs' in the round slides. Huge difference in bottom end power. Some models can take UFOs with pilot and jet changes ,but with that engine you must also change the needle jets . The mod is well worth it!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Have your first................

-removed / cleaned and serviced both clutches?
-replaced primary spring?
-aligned the clutches?
-set belt deflection?
-confirmed track is set correctly?
-checked driveshaft / wheels bearings / changed the chain case oil and set the chain?[/b]
hi i also have a 700cc ......i removed and cleaned the clutches......
......i have brand new springs.............
......i aligned my clutches.....
......my track is set correctly....
......driveshaft, wheel barrings,chain and all that is all good on mine but...
what is the belt deflection? is it how high your belt sit in your back clutch?
mine sits abouit an 8th of an inch out of the back clutch? is this about right.....? some help on the belt deflection would be good for me....
i have the twin psi racing pipes.....44mm carbs.....ported, polished, heads cut...21/39 gears...uni air filters..and all that good stuff....

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
my sled isn't starting off in second gear but if you are just going slow it seems to shift in and out all the time???????/any idea what it is.....i dont really know what belt deflection is ....any help?

·
Registered
524 Posts
my sled isn't starting off in second gear but if you are just going slow it seems to shift in and out all the time???????/any idea what it is.....i dont really know what belt deflection is ....any help?[/b]
belt deflection is how tight/loose the belt sits between the two clutches. this can be adjusted two ways, changing center-to-center distance or adding/removing shims between the secondary sheeves. first set the center-to-center distance, should be 12.2". you will need a clutch tool to do this.
then you can fine tune with the secondary shims. belt should sit 1/8" above secondary.
to measure deflection, take a straightedge and place on top of belt across the two clutches. then take a ruler and press down (firm but not too hard) on the belt from the top next to the straightedge. you should be able to move the belt down about 1.25".

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
thanks man....would a clutch tool from royal distributing be good enough to aligne your clutches..they only cost aboput 30-40 bucks.....do you mean put the straight edge from the front clutrch right to the back clutch ...than push downward on the belt and measure it that way?????????/i have my 700cc in a 1994 zr 440 sno pro chassis......it seems like the belt for the 440 was a little too short so i had to go with a smaller size .....

·
Registered
524 Posts
thanks man....would a clutch tool from royal distributing be good enough to aligne your clutches..they only cost aboput 30-40 bucks.....do you mean put the straight edge from the front clutrch right to the back clutch ...than push downward on the belt and measure it that way?????????/i have my 700cc in a 1994 zr 440 sno pro chassis......it seems like the belt for the 440 was a little too short so i had to go with a smaller size .....[/b]
not familiar with that tool but royal distrib is a reputable company so i would think its ok.
yea, you can rest the straightege on top of the belt from front to back then press down to measure how low the belt will go.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
not familiar with that tool but royal distrib is a reputable company so i would think its ok.
yea, you can rest the straightege on top of the belt from front to back then press down to measure how low the belt will go.[/b]
thanks man....i wont get a chance to do this till the weekend but i'll let you know when i do......any good clutch set-up's for 660ft for me......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts