Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 EXT 580 EFI with an aftermarket pipe, some clutch work and a EFI chip. The sled runs very good, however, it has a strange problem when I try to start it cold.

First pull...nothing. Second pull...nothing. Third pull...fires once maybe twice. Fourth...fires 3 or 4 times. Fifth...7 or 8 times and by the sixth pull it fires right up like it should on the second pull. This is consistent regardless of whether its 20 below or in the 60s like today. I've gone through the EFI system with a fine toothed comb at the beginning of last season to get it running again...but didn't find anything the helps with this starting issue.

Any help would be great, thanks.
-Brad

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi, my wildcat was doing the same thing, I couldn't find anything wrong til I gave in and pulled the cylinders and found the pistons all scored up down by the intake port and the rings were shot, funny thing was it still had decent compression on a guage. I honed the cylinders, put in two new cat pistons and rings and all my problems went away. It now starts in 2 pulls if it is 30 degrees out or -10f. I don't know if your motor is fresh or has alot of miles, if alot of miles it might be worth giving the pistons a good look. I should also say it ran just as fast at the radar runs with the shot pistons as with the fresh top end. Just my 2 cents. Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eeek! I sure hope thats not my issue. I'm in no mood to be putting new pistons in this sled. Maybe I'll take a close look in the cylinder next time I go through it. I'm kind of hoping its just a low battery/bad connection or something of that nature!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Originally posted by chicksdigwagons@Oct 1 2005, 02:02 AM
Eeek! I sure hope thats not my issue. I'm in no mood to be putting new pistons in this sled. Maybe I'll take a close look in the cylinder next time I go through it. I'm kind of hoping its just a low battery/bad connection or something of that nature!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=902299
[/quote]

It is not too big of a deal to rebuild the top end on these engines. When was the last time it was done? If it has never been done then you're playing with fire on a 12 year old sled, especially one with some mods. Don't wait until one of those pistons lets go out on the trail, or you'll be spending much more. :div20:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It got new pistons a few seasons back, sat the season before last all year, last season didn't see many miles. I'd be very suprised if there was anything wrong with the top end but I've been wrong before! (lots and lots of times now that I think about it...)

·
Registered
230 Posts
chech your belt deflegtion a efi with a tight belt will ack just like you say try pushing your belt down in the secoundary and see if it helps

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by gussy77@Oct 11 2005, 06:59 PM
chech your belt deflegtion a efi with a tight belt will ack just like you say try pushing your belt down in the secoundary and see if it helps
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=922999
[/quote]

Thats a great idea, I have noticed it seems like there is a little more resistance pulling the 580 now than in the past or compared to my 530. Makes perfect sense! I'm going to check all these theories next week when I have some time and I'll let everybody know what it was. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did your sled have this problem before you put an aftermarket pipe on it???? 580's didnt run worth a crap with aftermarket stuff on it for some reason thats my opion and results. If it had this problem after you put the pipe on I would bet its the pipe. Or you have a bad battery not staying fully charged to make the fuel pump prime all the way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would take the aftermarket stuff off chip and pipe clutch it to about 50 grams straight 55 or a 55-53 helix yellow secondary spring (stock) orange comet primary and drop the main jet down 2 sizes from factory and leave it there thats a good combo on that sled runs will all the time After market pipes run good one day not worth shit the next over wind in power under wind you name it they don't give you constent proformance. oh yeah if you go orange comet spring you have to grind them a little so they set in the clutch cover gotta make sure its seated down in there

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by teamgreen2@Oct 21 2005, 01:18 PM
I would take the aftermarket stuff off  chip and pipe    clutch it to about 50 grams  straight  55 or a 55-53 helix  yellow secondary spring (stock) orange comet primary and drop the main jet down 2 sizes from factory  and leave it there  thats a good combo on that sled runs will all the time  After market pipes run good one day not worth shit the next  over wind in power under wind you name it  they don't give you constent proformance.  oh yeah if you go orange comet spring you have to grind them a little so they set in the clutch cover gotta make sure its seated down in there
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=945636
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. First, this is a recent occurance. The aftermarket stuff never caused this in the past, just this year and last year. Its an EFI sled so i don't think I'm going to be jetting it any differently either. Once its running it runs fine, just takes more pulls than I think an EFI sled should. However, I think your comments on the primary might be something. I was just fixing my clutch cover. The front mounts broke and it was rubbing the primary...and then it was REALLY rubbing the primary to the point that I think i'm going to have to junk it. So I was inspecting the primary and found a weight that was jammed between a baddly worn roller and the side of the clutch housing... The clutch wasn't fully disengaging which would explain the excessive drag on the belt at idle.

I'm guessing once I fix the clutch the rest of my problems will solve themselves... will keep this updated for when I find a solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts