Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at an 80 SRX and am wondering if this year was a problem year. I don't know much about these sleds, but I think I remember hearing bad things about 80 model year. Any major problems I should know about before I lay any cash down on this thing?

·
Registered
460 Posts
this was the last year for the leaf spring srx's
83 hp. rev'd 9000 rpm stock.
the '80 came with 38mm mikuni butterfly carbs.
fast sleds!

·
Registered
5 Posts
the 1980 was not to bad 1981 was the year to look out for, they cranked up the hp and overstressed the motor and it resulted in nothing but grief. 81 was the year they introduced the "darth vader"styling with strut suspention.

·
Registered
460 Posts
they did not crank up the hp in 81, it was very close to the 1980 but with a different motor design.
the 76 and 77 srx's were the highest hp srx made back then at 90 and 96 hp respectivly. starting in 78 they detuned the 440 srx's to make em more trail friendly.
all 440 and 340 srx's are high maintainence/high strung sleds.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
they did not crank up the hp in 81, it was very close to the 1980 but with a different motor design.
the 76 and 77 srx's were the highest hp srx made back then at 90 and 96 hp respectivly. starting in 78 they detuned the 440 srx's to make em more trail friendly.
all 440 and 340 srx's are high maintainence/high strung sleds.[/b]

:thumbsup: , 81 was a piece of crap but it wasn't from adding hp for sure,,,R2R

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm helping a fellow out with restoring his 1980 SRX's. It's the most mild of the old SRX's. The carbs are obscure. Alot of people say they are harder to tune and don't work as well as the VM type. The clutch is another area to watch out for which is a very light unit. Anything that wears or sticks can cause friction, then heat which can cause cracks. The Yamaha clutches aren't bad but will let go before a Comet or Polaris does.
I wouldn't run those Yamaha clutches on anything beyond an Exciter.
Your suspension on the 80' SRX is also made of steel and really bloats up the weight compared to the other SRX's. I THINK this model also has oil injection on it too but I'm not 100% sure.

Put some 38 VM's on it, a Comet clutch, maybe change the skid to an older SRX or Exciter type and you'll get a better performing sled out of it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
All the SRX's were trouble. A buddy of mine used to drag race a 79 SRX and daily ride a 80 SRX, they were very fast but not very reliable. It would work great for a while and then melt a piston.
I had a 81 SRX for a couple of seasons, It had every update available done to it including being updated with a 82 SRX crank and case. In two years I rebuild the motor about 7 times, it finaly drove me to buying my first new sled, Skidoo Formula MX.
I would actually like to get anouther SRX, any year, just to goof around with.

·
Premium Member
40,170 Posts
All the SRX's were trouble. A buddy of mine used to drag race a 79 SRX and daily ride a 80 SRX, they were very fast but not very reliable. It would work great for a while and then melt a piston.
I had a 81 SRX for a couple of seasons, It had every update available done to it including being updated with a 82 SRX crank and case. In two years I rebuild the motor about 7 times, it finaly drove me to buying my first new sled, Skidoo Formula MX.
I would actually like to get anouther SRX, any year, just to goof around with.[/b]
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe they ever made a 1982 SRX.

Don

·
Registered
460 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe they ever made a 1982 SRX.

Don[/b]
Yamaha did make make the 82 srx 500 but it was never sold to the public. they scrapped them and pulled the plug on the srx before releasing them. several of them did make it out and are still out there to this day. the 82 srx 500 is by far the most rare of the srx's

·
Registered
4 Posts
[attachment=350948:Bild_010.jpg][attachment=350947:Bild_009.jpg]Here are some pics of my -82 SRX500 sled. With correct Chassie and Motor number. It's in original condition never restored. With all the right parts in it. I have taken it apart for some major cleaning and inspection. I will send some more pic's of here when im done. So you can se that there are some few still excisting out there.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I have a recoil for an old SRX that was used 1 day, if anyone needs one.

Don[/b]
.I....remember that MY 80 SRX needed the drive sprokets and track replaced before even riding it two times due to the pitch design that year to make it" slower" than any previous SRX. In fact the whole sled was terrible...rode like a brick. BUT AS RELIABLITY, 1980 SRX WEWRE NOWHERE NEAR THE NIGHTMARE THE 81 WAS!! I had both ....2 80's and a 81.
1980 srx 440d (black/gold with the only year with oil injection and the ss440 suspension )

Cut the head and put a Comet 108 ,77 SRX secondary,,put on a set 40mm Mikunis, PreMix, and FLEW..Many bigger bores were humbled by it in the mid 80's.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Yamaha did make make the 82 srx 500 but it was never sold to the public. they scrapped them and pulled the plug on the srx before releasing them. several of them did make it out and are still out there to this day. the 82 srx 500 is by far the most rare of the srx's[/b]
All of the 81's were to be bought back and they punched a big hole in the motor, it turned into the Vmax with the 540cc motor. Had an 81, fast for a 440 when it ran, rebuilt many times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I recall the 80 SRX's had a longer pto end of the crank to allow for the gear that drives the oil injection,the longer crank extened the clutch further away from the crank bearings thus causing the crank to move "out of True" I knew of three of those sleds that were converted to early cranks 78-79 with great success.

Rob

·
Banned
492 Posts
1976 440 SRX - WAS 88 HP
1977 440 SRX - WAS 98 HP
1978 440 SRX- WAS 80 hp
1979 440 SRX- WAS 80 hp
1980 440 SRX - WAS 75 hp
1981 440 SRX - WAS 88 hp.
I HAD EVERY YEAR AND RACED EVERY YEAR. STILL HAVE 1979 SRX I BOUGHT BRAND NEW AND I ALSO HAVE A 1980 SRX THAT I TAKE TO VINTAGE SHOWS. THE 1980 SRX WAS DETUNED BECAUSE OF BUTTERFLY CARBS AND OIL INJECTION. BY FARR THE BEST LOOKING GOLD AND BLACK. THE SRX WAS NOT A TROUBLE SLED UNTIL THE 81 MODEL CAME OUT. THIS SLED WAS A DIRT BIKE ON SKI,s AND COULD NOT BE MADE FOR EVERYDAY SNOWMOBILEING WITH ITS VERY SHORT POWER BAND. THIS ALL NEW MOTOR MADE NO POWER UNTIL 6000 RPM MAKEING IT VERY HARD TO TUNE. ONLY ANSWER WAS A HIGH CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT THAT DROVE MOST NUTS. OUT ON THE LAKE THIS SLED WOMPED EVERYTHING. YAMAHA COULD NOT KEEP UP WITH WARRANTY ISSUES SO MOST WERE RECALLED AND ENGINES DESTROYED. YOU THAN GOT A 2400 CREDIT TOWARDS A NEW SR-V. THIS IS BASISLY WHY THE 82 SRX WAS NOT RELEASED. GUESS IT WAS A CASE OF HERE WE GO AGAIN. POUND FOR POUND THE 77 SRX WAS THE KING. NOTHING EVEN CLOSE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.