Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bud has a loss of power over 70MPH and excess fuel and oil consumption. Runs fine up to about 70, no real noticeable diff at normal trail speeds.
He put a new belt on didn't make any diff. Sled has about 4000 miles. Secondary seems tight so jackshaft bearing should be OK?

Any ideas on what to look at are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
329 Posts
Start with the obvious and easy. Check compression and change plugs. Disassemble the clutches check everything and change both springs. Rotate driveline and look and listen for binding or bad bearings. If the normal maintenance items don’t solve the problem have the dealer plug it into digital wrench. Hopefully still under the four year warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Start with the obvious and easy. Check compression and change plugs. Disassemble the clutches check everything and change both springs. Rotate driveline and look and listen for binding or bad bearings. If the normal maintenance items don’t solve the problem have the dealer plug it into digital wrench. Hopefully still under the four year warranty.
Agree with this ^ 100%

Only thing I'd add in would be a look at the VES and get the valves cleaned at least. Digital Wrench would definitely help identify if something's going on ECU / electrical related. What's he seeing for RPM's when he's doing this? Is it running over 8K?

Reactions: Liggett

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It still is under the warranty but the dealer is questionable. Clutching deterioation came to my mind also. He just last weekend put his first-ever replacement belt on! Flannelguy69 gunked stuck power valves is one thing he has in mind. He's had it in every fall for a going over, but my guess is that they never pulled and cleaned the power valves.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know a lot about polaris, but could it be that your powervalves are gummed up?
Agree with this ^ 100%

Only thing I'd add in would be a look at the VES and get the valves cleaned at least. Digital Wrench would definitely help identify if something's going on ECU / electrical related. What's he seeing for RPM's when he's doing this? Is it running over 8K?
I don't remember what RPM he was getting or not getting but he said it was a slow crawl over 70 so I doubt if he's seeing 8K. Runs great, starts great. He said you wouldn't know there's a thing wrong till you git in the open somewhere and try to get after it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know a lot about polaris, but could it be that your powervalves are gummed up?
My feeling is that even though he has had the sled in for service every fall, that both the clutching and the power valves have never been cleaned or looked at, just from my experience with this dealer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks for your ideas! Since it is under warranty he will be taking it to the dealer by Thursday at the latest.

The dealer mentioned power valve cable maybe snapped. We'll see.

I thank you all very much for the input and I will report back here with the dealer's findings.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
329 Posts
Please let us know what the outcome is. My bad for forgetting about the power valves.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It could even be a rodent nest in the muffler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts