Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys out there have experienced track shaft spinning inside the brake-side bearing on '17 & newer TCats, ZR9000, 998 turbo ProCross chassis?

Over on the TY forum it seems like most Sidewinders have this problem. Lots of warranty going on, and allot have no warranty. The fix is new track shafts and bearings along with a special machined part available from Barn-of-Parts to expand the track shaft to lock it into the new bearing. If you don't put this part on, the same thing will happen (unless you loctite bearing on which, btw will make future removal more difficult).
BOP trackshaft saver.jpg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I caught mine before it happened. I added 3 dimples to my shaft, AND loctited the bearing to the shaft when I put it back together.
I have 2 buddies w '17 TCats and both of theirs are toast. Shaft worn down .004-.005" and bearing worn about .003". I wonder how the h*ll Cat engineers who designed this thought this wouldn't happen?!!! A new shaft is about .001-.002" smaller than a new bearing! Nothing to keep shaft from spinning inside the bearing.
As I said, over on the Totally Yamaha site, MOST all Sidewinders are having this failure! Allot of dealers are able to get warranty but some seem to not want to.

So, I very surprised there seems to much fewer Cats with this problem. Why? Exact same parts as Yamaha. I know Yamaha jack shaft and clutches are different but chain case, track shaft, brake, bearings are all the exact same as Cat.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
This has been happening since 2012 cats came out, they were toast around 5000 to 7000 miles tho, cat has known about this from day one, that's how they make money

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
How many guys out there have experienced track shaft spinning inside the brake-side bearing on '17 & newer TCats, ZR9000, 998 turbo ProCross chassis?

Over on the TY forum it seems like most Sidewinders have this problem. Lots of warranty going on, and allot have no warranty. The fix is new track shafts and bearings along with a special machined part available from Barn-of-Parts to expand the track shaft to lock it into the new bearing. If you don't put this part on, the same thing will happen (unless you loctite bearing on which, btw will make future removal more difficult).
View attachment 2062338
What is it that this part does to fix the problem?

·
Registered
882 Posts
It is placed into the shaft (which is hollow under the bearing), and when the bolt is tightened, the two pieces come together and wedge themselves into the shaft and slightly expands the shaft so this puts pressure on the inside of the bearing race to prevent the shaft from spinning within it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
My shaft on 18 t cat was toast at 4000 miles. I have already gotten the Barn of Parts piece to install. Our group has a 14 viper and a 16 viper and mine that all were worn badly.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
They do know how to make money don't they, I bet they paid the engineer $100,000 for that idea , I'm on my 4th or 5th shaft lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, absolutely. All you need to do is remove that shield that covers the brake caliper. Track shaft is hollow so all you need to do is insert that part and tighten it to about 35-45 ftlbs. Reinstall shield and ride. Very easy and good insurance. See pic of how it looks after install.
BOP trackshaft saver installed.jpg

1 - 20 of 206 Posts