Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all symptoms came last year,during pre seasons starts, season on ran 124 like normal , this year summer pre starts, noticed sled heats up like 160 in less then a min,, last season i did have a mysterious loose of coolant with no visible leak each ride;just topped it off ,and got a a new cap, well just cranked it up had the garden hose from under side on rear exchanger and its still getting way to hot. when sled was new i could throttle after it reached 124 and it would cool off , both rear exchanger hoses r hot. dose this sound like a stat issue or head

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey all symptoms came last year,during pre seasons starts, season on ran 124 like normal , this year summer pre starts, noticed sled heats up like 160 in less then a min,, last season i did have a mysterious loose of coolant with no visible leak each ride;just topped it off ,and got a a new cap, well just cranked it up had the garden hose from under side on rear exchanger and its still getting way to hot. when sled was new i could throttle after it reached 124 and it would cool off , both rear exchanger hoses r hot. dose this sound like a stat issue or head
or water pump gear

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Sounds like it may need bleed. Those are tricky, you have to lay it over on its side to bleed air out of system.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Is there even a hint of sweet smell coming out the exhaust. After it sits before you start it. Pull a plug and see if there is even a tiny drip of coolant on the plug. I’d find out where that coolant went. And why. Did it blow out the overflow ? Does it have a small leak in a rubber hose , fitting , clamp etc. is thermo sticking etc

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I wouldnt run the engine any more until you pull the thermostat and check it out. My buddy has the exact same sled and the thermostat came apart last year.Luckily,he shut it down right away when it started to overheat or the parts would have got sucked through the cooling system into the impeller.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no sweet smells. and have bleed it several times last year, stat water pump my best guess

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would assume its your tstat. I had the same issue start happening to me on my 17 at around 3500 miles. I would be in perfect snow or riding with pro-s's and they would be fine and I would have to dip off trail because the temps were climbing to the 165 range. I think the t-stat was only partially opening causing the issue.

·
Registered
'17 XCR 800 / '18 XCR 800 SB
1,248 Posts
Deja vu with these... Same issue I had. About 3200 miles, '17 XCR 800.
Mine happened last winter on the trail. Shut it down right away.
Thermostat grenaded. It wore a groove into the head, so that needed to be replaced also. No other damage with it though.
Dealer warranty covered it. At the time Polaris was out of that head('17 and before), so they actually installed a SLP for no charge. Engelhart in Madison really went above and beyond (y)

Add the thermostat to list of items to change, including the egt sensor on the '17's.

·
Vendor
10,123 Posts
we replaced around 20 of these last year. from 500 miles to 5000 miles. this is the main reason ski-doo does not have a t-stat in there two stroke motors for years now. Polaris finally made this change with the 850 and now the 650. funny thing is the storm/xcr's had the t-stat outside of the motor and these were never a issue? vibration is the cause of these failures.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
we replaced around 20 of these last year. from 500 miles to 5000 miles. this is the main reason ski-doo does not have a t-stat in there two stroke motors for years now. Polaris finally made this change with the 850 and now the 650. funny thing is the storm/xcr's had the t-stat outside of the motor and these were never a issue? vibration is the cause of these failures.
Take a look at key#5, 5130943 in the COOLING SYSTEM parts diagram on a MY97 600 XCR . This is an external thermostat housing with a T, one from the engine, one to the coolers, one to the boost bottle, then the waterpump.

The link below will take you directly to the MY97 600 XCR online parts page:

https://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp?ProductLine=SNO&Year=1997&Model=0975677

I used that T housing to add a thermostat to a MY96 600 XCR SP triple triple (metallic sapphire DARK blue, still got a spare hood), basically the same engine, but it came without a thermostat, and with a waterpump feed hose that would rub thru on a sharp edge of the motor casting. This sled had a LOT of Tech. bulletins put on it, but mine got almost 6,000 miles the first seasons, and never failed on me. I should have taken off the Storm tuned pipes they used at the factory, and put on a set of SLP 600SP pipes. That sled had a bad habit of shortening straightaways and getting you to the corners, before you were ready for them!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Might pressurize the coolant bottle to make sure it holds pressure. Seen you replaced cap, but coolant bottle mating surface may be damaged?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pulled the stat tonight, its in one piece , yep my luc think the water pump gears apple cord ,bummer,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts