Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on what I had been reading on the Internet, it seemed like every one of the F-Cats built were going down. Based on the simple #s we've heard(which may not be anywhere accurate), only about 1% had failed. I would of thought it was over 50% based on what I've been reading. I know in 98 Yammy had to replace cranks on almost every SRX so this doesn't seem so bad anymore, besides the fact that mine was one of those 160!.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Point!!

Also, the problems with S-D's mxz700s a few years ago, and I even hear there are troubles with the 800SDI this year with something that sounds very much like our 'smart valves'. ALL the makers have trouble, especially with new models. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts
from what I have been reading on the computer, other brans are having their share of problems also, trouble is even when they get their problems fixed...they are still slower than us F7 guys! :p

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Only 160???? I think it's a hell of alot higher, AC should have more parts then that in stock and from what is being said there all out of cylinders.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Jamie@Jan 16 2003, 09:52 AM
Only 160???? I think it's a hell of alot higher
That's a good question? Let's use the same math and see if it makes sense. We have 2400+ members...let's assume 60% actually own Firecats, so that's about 1500 Firecats represented. Do we have more than 15 guys with burn downs? That would be 1%. Marc

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by Jamie@Jan 16 2003, 09:52 AM
Only 160???? I think it's a hell of alot higher, AC should have more parts then that in stock and from what is being said there all out of cylinders.
I agree... Hell, I hear about another puked 7 almost every time I walk through the dealer's door. Maybe that number represents a certain area... I bleed green, (oops, red this year) but I don't think those numbers are accurate. <_< Where did that "160" information come from anyway? :huh:

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
I think we need to put this in perspective. Cat built 16,000 Firecats (by the way, thanks for that piece of info Rob!). Let's just be conservative, and say 90% of them sold ... that gives a rough estimate of about 14,500 sleds being owned.

Out of 14,500 (remember that's just an estimate) owners, we have 2400 members on HCS. Let's say 80% of us members own F-cats ... that accounts for roughly 2000 sleds. So we're making up about 15%-20% of the entire riding public. That seems kind of surprising, but I think it's a fair estimate.

Now, out of our 2000 sleds on HCS, we've had what ... maybe 100 meltdowns? I'm talking meltdowns ... not smart valves, not oil line rubs, etc. That's 5% of the HCS group :mellow:

So if you use us as the sample, 5% of the sleds have had serious problems. Although I'd like to think 1% is really the number, it's a little higher than that.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Wicked King@Jan 16 2003, 10:07 AM
I agree... Hell, I hear about another puked 7 almost every time I walk through the dealer's door.
Something I find interesting...if it weren't for the internet, I personally would not know of one Firecat problem. My dealer and one other local dealer I have talked with have not had any burn downs and I haven't run across one with problems on the trail.

Whenever I get a chance to talk with a new Firecat owner, I always ask them if they know about this site....so far, no one has heard of it. Hell, most don't have computers and look at me like I'm crazy :wacko: ...Marc

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by LabonteF7@Jan 16 2003, 10:10 AM
Now, out of our 2000 sleds on HCS, we've had what ... maybe 100 meltdowns?  I'm talking meltdowns ... not smart valves, not oil line rubs, etc.  That's 5% of the HCS group   :mellow:
Boy, I am not trying to sugar coat this...but I follow this site pretty closely. I don't think we have had any where near 100 meltdowns reported. I know some meltdowns have been discussed 100 times :( Marc

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
Completely agree with ya Marc!! I guess I was just being conservative (over). Honestly guys, how many meltdowns do you think we've had within our members on HCS? I can think of maybe a dozen names in particular. Everything else has been ... "My buddy and his uncle were riding and they saw an F7 burned down on the side of the trail."

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I wonder what % of reported burndowns on this site don't even own a Firecat???

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Out of the 3 dealer's here in the altantic canada that i know off
only 2 have went down out of 73...and both were due to coolent
proplem's.The dealer's never got the bulltin before they were
rode.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The burn downs that i have heard about is the dealers fault not cats fault. If people would care about what they sold now adays we woulden't have the problems some of us have. I only have 600 hard miles on mine and i have no updates and the thing works flaw less.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only thing that scares me is out of those 16,000 how many were sold in the midwest to people who haven't even put a mile on there sleds yet! :( LabonteF7, Jason took his out west last week and beat the snot out of it and came back with NO problems ;) , other than he agreed with me that the fuel map on low and mid in regular is TOO lean! :unsure:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I talked to my dealer two nights ago-out of 16 F7's that he sold only one came back with a no fuel problem and it wasn't even a smart valve problem-there was some foreign material lodged in the fuel pump. He has had zero burndowns and he just got an F7 for himself. ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
you know what really sucks is having it sit in the garage waiting for it to snow ,wondering if i'm going to have problems with mine, when i do get to ride,,mike

·
Registered
749 Posts
Mike, I'm from Minn. too. If the snow won't come to you....................
You need to go to the snow! You don't know what you're missin' buddy!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts