Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of long tracking my firecat to a 151. Anyone got one, and what do you think of it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Steve-0, we are longtracking my F7 here at our store as I type. We will be taking it to the mountains this weekend. I have a MC900 159" 1M also and we will have that with us so I should be able to give a good report on the performance. The snow is real deep up there too. The sled is a F7 Sno Pro and we are installing the Arctic Cat 151 kit with the 1.5" track.
Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
It should be done before we close today but I will probably wait until tomorrow to take photos outside but will do it.
Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
We are going to try 15 wide 20/44. We are still arguing about the clutch set up. 2,500-6000 feet is the altitude
Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have done the 151 conversion on my F7 standard with a 2 inch track and 9 tooth drivers and I left the stock gearing as the 9 tooth drivers gear it down from the 10s. I am running 62 gram weights and stock helix at 6000 feet and it is pulling 7800- 7900 RPM consistently and will be putting in VF3s today. The rear of machine needs a lift to reduce attack angle and I have snopro rear mount plates on order to drop track and suspension. In deep snow it trenches badly and is ok if you stay moving. The attack angle of track is too great. I may be putting a 2 inch lengthened chaincase to drop driveshaft down and be able to run 10 tooth drivers again. I still can run 85 mph with 151x2 track on 4 inches of fresh snow. This thing does not lack power to pull track but narrow track is noticeable for flotation. One racer in the west is rumoured to have received the parts from AC to build a widetrack Firecat (15inch). If Cat is sending out parts to build it the production model can't be far behind. The new Rev Summit is coming to local dealer in 2 weeks and it is light with a 144x16 track. They also have put the 800 HO motor in it. Cat won't be left behind as they have told Western Dealers they plan on being and maintaining the #1 mountain sled spot . 1M 900 definitely is #1 this year for price and performance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We finished the conversion today and it looks really nice. we used the mat that goes in the rack area on a mc model and tailored it to cover the top of the tunnel where the tailight harness runs and it looks sano. I got so busy at work I could not take pictures today. We are leaving for the mountains in the morning. I think the performance will be okay but like brianscathouse said it probably needs a drop and rolled case and two inch to really rock. The 1.5" looks really wimpy especially sitting next to the 159". I did not want to just change the driver size to use a bigger track. We really did it because we have a bunch of kits in stock. I am going to take the digital with us in the morning and try to get some good photos for everyone. We will have my 159 1m and a stock F7 Sno Pro in the group so we will see how it goes and report back tomorrow nite.
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had mine long tracked for 1 mounth now along with a few other goodies. I can still pull 102 mph on the speedo! This thing is awsome! Tunnel extention was not the funnest to put on but it looks great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hi everyone. We had the 151 out in the mountains today. I just got home and it worked really well. I took some pictures and I will try to post them tomorrow. It still rides and handles really well. I did not ride it as much of the other guys in my group because it was a great day and great snow and it ain't no 1m 159" It does however completely smoke a stock sno pro F7 climbing and boondocking. It is also the first longtracked sled with a 43" ski stance that i would consider acceptable handling in the mountains. Everyone who rode it loved it. Most of what I have read on the sites say it does not perform as well as expected so I think I was pleasantly suprised with how well it worked. I think it is an excellent sled for someone who wants the the light weight and great rough trail handling but needs better deep snow performance. It would have been the ultimate comparison if we had a 144' version there as well. One thing I did notice and did not like was the bog or lag when you punch it hard from maybe 1/8 throttle to full. I never noticed riding it on the river but it did it quite a bit. My 800 efi did it last year also I learned to ride around it. Hill Topper is right it is not a fun kit to install and the correct labor charge would probably be a full 8 hours. It is the nicest longtrack kit cat has ever made looks very stock. Anyone
with specific questions about the machine post it and I will try to answer it with the experience from the one ride we put on it.
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am going to run with the BIG BOYS in Cooke City on friday! I am doing some upgrades to the suspention and engine will see what happens. I am a good ridder but not the best. I will let every one know what happens when I get back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nps is definitely right about the 43 stance being easy to handle. The narrow track is the big factor in that. Performance with this setup is great but the fact it isn't a wide track is noticeable. Even with the 151 and 2 inch track on mine the trailabilty is still awesome. The power to weight and manoueverablity factors makes this a very fun sled in the mountains but with doing the few mods I listed previously I think it will be even better. :p :D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Just curious did any of you have any trouble with snow plugging up the airintake under the nose cone. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
there was plenty of over the hood powder and icing on the hood and running boards it seemed to handle it fine.
Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts