Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the sled mechanics out there, I have a 2015 rmk pro 600 and it died and locked up on me riding last year on the hill, wasn’t able to pull over at all. Ended up loosening the clutch and was able to pull it over. Tightened the clutch back up and it ran fine for the rest of the day but at the end I was getting a DET code. Checked the plugs and the clutch side was an odd grayish color and the other looked normal.

I called it for the season, pulled it apart and had some scarring on the clutch side piston. Before pulling the pistons I noticed that both pistons had a decent amount of play in the cylinder. I ended up sending both cylinders out to be honed and plated and got everything for a new top end.

Im working getting it back together for the season, but I still don’t know what could have caused it. I want to troubleshoot it before I start it back up and roll for the season to just to have it happen again. My hunch is oil delivery in the cylinder, but I haven’t worked on enough of these pros to really know.

Anyone experienced something similar or have any tips?

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,626 Posts
Oil is probably last on the list. Most likely it went lean from a dirty or plugged injector or a bad crank seal. It's good you want to find the root cause or you'll end up in the same predicament.

Injectors can be sent out for cleaning for cheap. Crank seals can be checked when the engine is running, but I'd replace them now while it is apart.

·
Vendor
10,631 Posts
crank seals have been a issue on 6/800's in the era. you have to fine the cause i would pull the motor and tear down. play close attention to the crank bearings true the crank while apart. replace seals look at intake boots closely. have injectors tested and cleaned. if possible put it on the d-wrench and look at history. this may point to the issue also.

·
Premium Member
18,802 Posts
Always start with simplest things first.

What fuel mode were you running it in?

What octane fuel?

Was fuel fresh?

Ethanol or non-ethanol?

If non-ethanol, were you using deicer in fuel?

Any mods done to engine, clutching, etc?

DET indicates a fuel issue. Or an overheating issue.

Many other factors must also be considered:
Weather, mileage on engine, maintenance and storage, riding conditions, riding behavior, and on and on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts