Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my rear skid out awaiting the parts to go to a 144 X 1.75 track. I am going to drill the holes to lower the front of the skid today. Any ideas as to how to start with the setup of the rear skid as it's a heck of a lot easier to adjust now? Also any changes I should make to the front? It's an '03 Pro-X 600 what was totally stock until now so I would have the stock springs. Also any good way to adjust the spring preload without a spanner wrench?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've got my rear skid out awaiting the parts to go to a 144 X 1.75 track. I am going to drill the holes to lower the front of the skid today. Any ideas as to how to start with the setup of the rear skid as it's a heck of a lot easier to adjust now? Also any changes I should make to the front? It's an '03 Pro-X 600 what was totally stock until now so I would have the stock springs. Also any good way to adjust the spring preload without a spanner wrench?

Thanks
Scott[/b]
I put the FTA as loose as I could without it rattling. First you should tighten the straps because you can get it even looser if the straps are tight. To turn the spring and nut without a spanner is easy with the skid out. it is a bitch with the skid in. I use lots of wd40 and a pair of leather gloves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am doin this exact mod to my 440 this week. i bought a 144x2 track. What am i goin to need to change my gearing to? i am currently running 21t 41t. what am i going to need to gear down to?

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I am geared at a 2.10 ratio with my 800 144". 20t top gear and 42t bottom gear with 74 pitch chain. You're going to want to regear REALLY low with that 440 to spin a 144" track IMO. I would probably go for a 2.2-2.3 ratio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What gears would those be? I am just goin to run the 440 for this winter and then sell the motor and put an 800 in it. Will the 800 just bolt right in or do i have to modify it?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Thanks
Scott[/b]
id say with the mod and the deep snow runn the FTA spring very loose as said, this will ehlp alow the front to handle the bumps well and collapse well for a good approach angle. the rear youll need to run more spring preload with the 144 and probably a higher clciker setting to. coupler block id say runn top midle hole in the low setting for really good tranfer in the deep stuff. from there youll have to adjust to your liking, there is not perfect setup for everyone.

What gears would those be? I am just goin to run the 440 for this winter and then sell the motor and put an 800 in it. Will the 800 just bolt right in or do i have to modify it?[/b]
id say run the stock 19/43 gears

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
What gears would those be? I am just goin to run the 440 for this winter and then sell the motor and put an 800 in it. Will the 800 just bolt right in or do i have to modify it?[/b]
Look HERE for all your gearing needs (Click on the chart to open and hover your mouse over the lower right to enlarge). I'm running a 136x1.5 under my 440 and I'm geared at 2.2 and that spins the track with authority on hardpack. With the 144 you might want to go to around 2.4, that would be a 17/40 or 17/41 with a 72P chain.

SK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok those are the gears i will be running. Does anyone have a set i can buy? How hard is the suspension mod? what will i have to do to my suspension?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
ok those are the gears i will be running. Does anyone have a set i can buy? How hard is the suspension mod? what will i have to do to my suspension?[/b]
the gears you may have to just order. you may find a 40 and 41 but a 17 is not used often. as for the suspension mod, it can be done tracking suspenison out and putting back in in aobut 1.5 hours easy. i have done them in 45 min before taking the skid out. some people have drilled them hole with right agle drills and it take even less tiem then. as for what the mod does, it get rid of most of the dead spot in the suspension and make the whole thing more consistant in it compression and rebound motion. try taking a 2 by 4 and putting it under them front of the rear suspension, them get on and jump around on the running board and see how much stiffer it is, that aobut what the mod does, gets rid of most of that dead spot and make the suspenison owrk alot better.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
All I have that would work is a 45t bottom. That coupled with a 17t top would give you a 2.65 ratio. Maybe a bit too much.

21/41 makes me think that you have a fan, unless you re-geared the liquid?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The sled isnt a fan. I am not even positive that is my gearing it is just written on my chaincase i will know for sure when i get the track and pull it apart. I am putting 19t 43t into it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts