Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok found a sweet 14" track and its a great deal, just not sure if i should get it. I have a 04 pro x2 700 and im a very aggressive rider. the track im looking at getting is a 14-121-1.75 with studs it came off a iq 440 racer. But its a great deal and brand new. What to do?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have that track on my 03 Pro-XR 800 conversion. I really like it, compared to the 1 1/4 Ripsaw on my 04 X2.

It is great in semi-soft stuff and off trail. I don't ride on hard-packed trails at all, though.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have that track on my 03 Pro-XR 800 conversion. I really like it, compared to the 1 1/4 Ripsaw on my 04 X2.

It is great in semi-soft stuff and off trail. I don't ride on hard-packed trails at all, though.[/b]

thats just it i ride on trails 70% of the time dont know if i should do it or not why do they make them a inch narrower?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
the one off an iq is a 14.75 wide track none notched its will not fit without notching it (very easy to do) to clear the coolers. the 04 xr 440 has a 14 wide 1.75 track that is notched and the 03 xr a 1.625 notched track.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you do to notch it? Just grind the edges of the lugs?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
What do you do to notch it? Just grind the edges of the lugs?[/b]
no you cut out for the cooling strips. you cut the track down just in the line where the window are (cooling straight above) so when the track it going aorudn its not rubbing on the coolers. if your looking for pics and really good instuctions pm rick (on the edge 02( he is the man to talk to.

·
Registered
415 Posts
thats just it i ride on trails 70% of the time dont know if i should do it or not why do they make them a inch narrower?[/b]
I don't know how it would stand up to a lot of hard trail use. It is a fairly soft lug track. The long studs tend to break and pull out fairly easily.

I have heard that the 14" wide track turns better than a 15" track and is a bit lighter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have that Identical track on my sled just notched it this year i can take pics if you like let me know it wasn't too bad. You can really move if you have another guy helping you cut the other side.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Rick.................Buddy
What u think about this and how the hell do i do it?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Studs arnt in the way r they

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Thanks for the plug, Freddy. Just love notching tracks,lol[/b]
if it got to do with a track rick you are the man, hows the riding been?

nope studs arent in the way at all

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Studs arnt in the way r they[/b]
Just take a pair of tin snips and a utility knife and cut about a 1/4" off the lugs that line up with the track windows. (use the snips to cut the depth lining up with the windows then bend the lug and use the knife to cut across the lug to cut out the peice) So you will have a straight line on both sides notch lining up with the windows because this is where your coolers hang down in the tunnel and the lugs will rub.

I did mine by myself and it didn't take very long. I love my 1.75 and will never go smaller I also ride alot of trails, that track will eat up the hard pack and mine isn't even studded, we are talking hard pack and not icey trails though. Just be careful riding off trail with those studs because the first thing you hit will f your studs up, it is good you have the double backers because the studs will snap before you rip them out the track. I had singles backers on my 1 5/8" track and ripped a bunch out and shredded the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts