Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be long, but I'll try to make it clear. My sled now has 8500 miles with a top end rebuild done at 6500 by the PO. I bought it this year with 8000.
It ran perfect until just two weeks ago which was just about enough tome for me to get the suspension and skis set up for my liking. We had a short season this year, it's almost done. Might get a few days still if we trailer.
What happened is that it started throwing a DET code and reducing engine power around about 3/4 throttle on a roll on. Go from 2mph WIDE OPEN to 90MPH and it's fine. Doesn't idle smooth like it did before either, need to feather a bit after start up, warm or cold till it settles in. So midrange sputter, and idle sputter but WOT from idle is OK.
Drained tank and used new fuel, looked in tank, no water.
I'm thinking sticking power valve or bad reeds? Or something with the electronic throttle sensor?
Any ideas would be appreciated greatly! I'd like those two more days this season!
Thank you.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,912 Posts
check reeds for sure, get your TPS adjusted, pull PV and clean them well including the two small holes behind the bellows and the small hole in the cylinder block. If the fuel filter hasn't been changed, change it. SPI makes one that around $60 or so.

taking it to the dealer and getting it on the digital wrench will tell you a lot. they can adjust TPS and tell you whatever else needs to be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. new fuel filter, and sock ordered along with the Harbor Freight tool set to change. That was my original thinking until I changed out the gas discovered it ran fine WOT. Still going to change out fuel filter system just because it's probably never been done.

Can the dealer pull codes with the digital wrench that happened previously? I know when you shut down the machine the user codes disappear.

TPS another possibility I'm thinking also from looking on here it seems it's VERY sensitive to voltage. Battery is new.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,912 Posts
all codes will be stored. they will have access to it all with the digital wrench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great.
Next question. Is there a code reader that they layman can buy and use like with automotive systems?

Nevermind. a quick google search tells me that toy systems diagnostics are and can be protected by the dealers. Least expensive I could find was 5 grand that didn't come from a Russian internet download. lol

I guess I've got to load up and make a trip to the dealer.

At least it runs!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don't know if you solved your issue or not. I have a '14 - 800 SB with almost 12,000 miles on it. I had a rebuild at about 6,600. This past winter I was fine going slow and fast. Mid-Range my RPM's would drop from 6K down to about mid-3K's and it was really sluggish. I took it in and as Lexuslover said mine was a problem with 1 injector. Replaced that and the rest of the season rode perfectly.

My engine light went on when this happened but I never got any codes flashing on my display.

i would also get the injectors pulled and flow tested.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,912 Posts
Don't know if you solved your issue or not. I have a '14 - 800 SB with almost 12,000 miles on it. I had a rebuild at about 6,600. This past winter I was fine going slow and fast. Mid-Range my RPM's would drop from 6K down to about mid-3K's and it was really sluggish. I took it in and as Lexuslover said mine was a problem with 1 injector. Replaced that and the rest of the season rode perfectly.

My engine light went on when this happened but I never got any codes flashing on my display.
nice to see that i can push mine to those miles bob, going to do pull the crank and get it inspected for wear. 6700 miles currently

1 - 8 of 8 Posts