Hardcore Sledder banner

136 w/1.25" Ripsaw vs 121 w/144 studs

726 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fire Chicken 
#1 ·
I have 144 studs (OK, a couple ripped out) on my 121" track. My buddy is doing a 136 conversion on his '02 600 and plans to use the 1.25" Ripsaw. He's convinced it will give him a better holeshot and be better on the twisty trails. Seems to me the longer track would be tougher to maneuver on the trails, although it might soften the bumps a bit?

With my track having the few rip outs I might be looking to make a change here at some point. Mostly trail riding with the occasional lake run.

Pros and cons of each? What would you recommend? :div20:

#2 ·
From what I've read, and one of my best friends put a 136" on his prox 6, you really do not notice the extended track when maneuvering the twisties, however the extra length is better on the bumps.
As far as holeshot, it depends what the conditions are when you run. If you're on ice, obviously you will have the better take off if he has no studs. And to be honest the only time he really pulled away from me on the start (and we both had 96 studs down the center) was when the snow was loose.

All in all I would say you will be better off in most conditions seeing as you have a 700 too! My opinion...go with an 1.5", unless you ride 3000 miles a year.

Any problems with your 700? Im looking at an 02 700 right now I might pickup to replace my 440...

#4 ·
Fast Rider, wish I could tell ya but I'm still waiting for a little snow around here.. Bought it at the end of last season off ebay so I haven't even had it out yet. Need to make a few cosmetic changes (guy went a little overboard with all the contrasting, including the windshield, in my opinion), but otherwise I plan to ride as is for this year. Track will probably wait until next year.

I asked the same question last spring looking for feedback on the '02 700 XCSPs. People that have had them seem to love them. Solid reliability and about at the peak of the Polaris HP band for its size..

I'm expecting it will tug a little harder than my 500 EFI, especially with the studded track. Look forward to finding out soon! If I get out and find anything I'll post it.

Start a thread asking for opinions in here and you'll get a ton from alot of guys who know a hell of a lot more than I do..

Thanks for the feedback :beerchug: Since the bulk of my time will be on trails I'll probably stick with the 121, maybe see how things go for my buddy this year..

#5 ·
thanx! I was just curious if there were any known problems with those motors of that year, and I would think you would have come across them since you started a post about the sled. Thanx for the info and good luck with the sled!

#6 ·
Long Track - Better in the twisties??? I didn't notice a huge difference. I still feel I'm just as fast, although it will take more physical effort to throw it around. Grabbing the brake and sliding the ass into a corner to blast out will take a little more.... how do I say.... UMPH! Good skis up front will help too.

Pros....Holeshot will improve, shouldn't feel much spin at all. In fact, might want to try without studs first with the 600 and go from there. If anything, only stud the middle. You will also be able to go play in the deep stuff and not get burried!

Cons of Long Track... if someone else goes into the deep stuff (121) and gets burried, you'll be the point guy to go help! You may also be the one that becomes "tow guy" cause you have a long track. Wont FIT in every 2 place trailer. Heavier and will require more muscle.

121 Pros... faster "Speed" wise, easier to throw around, lighter, easier to fit in multiple "2" place trailers, can point to another bitch boy.
Cons... less traction, floatation issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.