Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SBA 850, 2012 SBA 800, 2002 700 XCSP, 1992 Polaris Indy 500 EFI
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy did a 136 extension on his '01 600 XCSP last year. That is one mean looking sled now. I like my 700 but like the looks of the longer track.

Are there significant differences to doing an extension on mine versus buying an RMK/SKS/SB? Will the clutch, timing, gearing, etc need to be reworked on mine?

As some of my recent posts suggest, I'm not the handiest guy on these boards. OK, might be setting a new standard for ineptitude. Still, my buddy is willing to help me out with it, if I want to go the 136 extension route.

I'd plan on the TracksUSA 136 kit with 1.25 Ripsaw track.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I did a 136 extension on my '01 600 Edge X. I thought that was the best riding sled to date. I have have had a '04 600 Switchback & a '06 600 switchback and am currently riding a '07 600 CFI that I have made into a 136. IMHO the 136 with a coupled suspension is the way to go in the MN area. That is to say, a couples suspension will not stop me from taking it the the Black Hills or west.

The 136 with a 1.25 track, seems to meet all my riding needs. Offers the deeper snow ability, but yet still works in the trails. The 144 on the switchback or RMK are great, but no coupled suspension. the 144 does not really feel that long on the trails.

So, I would say the biggest part of your decision is coupled or not? Riding style will determine that.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
You may need to address clutching/gearing but it's all really quite simple stuff. Same with the extension project. It can be completed in an afternoon easily.

I really enjoy riding my 01.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
My buddy did a 136 extension on his '01 600 XCSP last year. That is one mean looking sled now. I like my 700 but like the looks of the longer track.

Are there significant differences to doing an extension on mine versus buying an RMK/SKS/SB? Will the clutch, timing, gearing, etc need to be reworked on mine?

As some of my recent posts suggest, I'm not the handiest guy on these boards. OK, might be setting a new standard for ineptitude. Still, my buddy is willing to help me out with it, if I want to go the 136 extension route.

Any suggestions?[/b]
In two words: Do It. Worse case scenario is gearing. May need to gear down maybe 1 tooth on top to compensate or 1 or 2 teeth on the bottom. Should still be able to use same chain. I wouldn't touch the clutching till you get the longtrack in there and drive it. There really isn't any cons to having a 136". Best of both worlds. I will still be nimble, ride better due to it bridging the bumps better, better acceleration due to increase traction and more manoueverability in the deep stuff.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The conversion actually works out much better than the RMK/SKS for dual use and trail use. It would have coupling and adjustable transfer available - something not available on the RMK/SKS suspensions. Works out much better when things start to get rough, or if you were to want drag racing with it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A friend of mine that rides a lot put a 136 on his classic and absolutly loves it. it goes better in the deeper stuff but it still goes fine on now much snow and it gets rid of the little bumps because it bridges them.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've read a few of your posts and here is what I would do....

Ride the sled as is next week.

Buy the TracksUSA extensions and track closer to Spring, watch for specials.

Do the extension, rebuild shocks, and look over skid etc this Spring/Summer when you have more time.

Leave the clutching and the gearing alone and ride it with the long track. Gearing/Clutching is not necessary for 70% of the people out there in my opinion.

If you were to spend money I would buy some aftermarket ski's. The 136" can push a little more in the corners and even though you can make adjustments to compensate the ski's are a very good upgrade.

My Buddy did his and left the stock gearing and clutching in for two years. (02XC700) He loved his.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Has anyone put a 144" setup on their Edge instead of the 136? I'm considering going up one size....

If 136 is good, the 144 has to be better. Right? :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I like mine. 2001 xcsp 600 with reverse. I actually bought it from a lady who owned it. She made her husband install 136 kit in it. It's actually the polaris kit. She also had him install some ski doo precision skis.

Sled rips and what a differance in the studder bumps. Awesome off trail too.

I still have not really ridden it though this year. I have had some problems with the rear shocks. Also a broken bolt. Sending out the front track shock today.

Word too anybody that needs shocks rebuilt. Don't be like me and wait till last minute. I should of done it this summer. :dohdoh:
Luckly I have another sled too ride in the meantime. errr

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Has anyone put a 144" setup on their Edge instead of the 136? I'm considering going up one size....

If 136 is good, the 144 has to be better. Right? :)[/b]
I guess it depends on what your doin. 144' may have some advantages in a little deeper stuff.....how much better will depend on track choice? I think the longer you go over 136, is when you start sacraficing top-end (one again limited to track choice?) and having to worry more about gearing and clutching. 144" would be as long as I'd go with just extensions. Tracks are also quite a bit more expensive. If you have a 136" now, then I doubt the money is worth it to upgrade?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Just curious if anyone has gone from 136 to 144. I'll likely be picking up a 153+ sled regardless, but just curious.

·
Registered
2019 SBA 850, 2012 SBA 800, 2002 700 XCSP, 1992 Polaris Indy 500 EFI
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff G,

I'm getting the shocks rebuilt by DSL right now. I dropped them off today and he said he'll have them back to me tomorrow. The shop pulled them for me. They said, once they got in there, that the shocks were missing the collars on the top side, under the fender, so the springs really weren't helping last year, the shocks were doing all the work. They ordered some collars up so, hopefully, with those and the rebuild on the shocks we'll be set for this year.

BTW, this same shop told me my shocks were probably "shot" and I should get new ones. Told the shock guy that today and he said to tell the shop "they're f*@!ing idiots!"

As for the extension, we'll probably go 136 over the summer. I like the studded track I have now, at times, but with winter finally returning to MN it would be nice to float in the powder a little better.. I'll probably go 1.25 Ripsaw without studs going in to next year and see how things go from there.

Anyone have pics of their extended sleds?

Here's a pic of my buddy's blacked out '01 600 XCSP 136

[attachment=414915:Rapp__s_..._profile.jpg]

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Jeff G,

I'm getting the shocks rebuilt by DSL right now. I dropped them off today and he said he'll have them back to me tomorrow. The shop pulled them for me. They said, once they got in there, that the shocks were missing the collars on the top side, under the fender, so the springs really weren't helping last year, the shocks were doing all the work. They ordered some collars up so, hopefully, with those and the rebuild on the shocks we'll be set for this year.

BTW, this same shop told me my shocks were probably "shot" and I should get new ones. Told the shock guy that today and he said to tell the shop "they're f*@!ing idiots!"

As for the extension, we'll probably go 136 over the summer. I like the studded track I have now, at times, but with winter finally returning to MN it would be nice to float in the powder a little better.. I'll probably go 1.25 Ripsaw without studs going in to next year and see how things go from there.

Anyone have pics of their extended sleds?

Here's a pic of my buddy's blacked out '01 600 XCSP 136

[attachment=414915:Rapp__s_..._profile.jpg][/b]
Tell him to black out those wheels and his rails!! My buddies skid is blacked out, looks cool. (although I would not spend that much time pulling every nut out of my skid to look cool)

·
Registered
69 Posts

Yes, I just finished that conversion on my 2002 XC 800sp . I bought the 144" x 2" kit and other related pieces from my buddy who has run the kit on his 2002 XC 700 and a 2002 XC 600 for several seasons. In addition to being a good quality kit from Tracks USA, he also spent time tweaking and tuning things to make it work really well. He bought a newer RMK now, so I got to reap the rewards from his work.

Specs:
- 144" x 2" paddle track
- Tracks USA 121 --> 144 rail extension
- tunnel extension
- Rox 3-5" height adjustable bar risers
- Powder Pro skis
- geared to 21/43
- clutched & jetted for 8-10K
- RMK seat
- swaybar removed
- scratchers

Pics:

Rob

G

·

Any suggestions?[/b]
Trust me on this one, just did mine in early Dec. and if you weigh over 220#s due yourself a favor and change the springs when you do the skid..... have mine out now again to put the .437 wire in. i guess you live and learn. mine is a 98 extra 10 136 track usa..

im 6'4" 265#s with gear if it helps

trackstand

·
Registered
3,692 Posts

I had a buddy that had a prox with 144 tipped up extensions from tracks usa (that I put some miles on) and another who has an egde xc 136 and I have owned 121 and 136 sleds and I think the difference going from 136 -144 as far as hadling is little to none, actually its not that much going from 121- 144. I ride mostly trails with some ditches and a trip to the up once in a while and I would go with a 144 coupled skid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts