Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have and 03 polaris xc 500. Im wondering if it is worth it to put a 136 extended track on a 500. Its a liberty 500 motor but it doesnt have VES. Will it have enough power to run a track that size? Would trail ride it alot so i wouldnt put a really deep lug on it. Probably and 1 1/4 in. lug size. Dont know alot about extended tracks so looking for some ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
long track kits tend to smooth out choppy trails and give you a better ride in general. it also improves your deap snow abilitys. your 500 could pull a 136 no problem , I would gear it down some while you have the chain case open! Cooling ends up being a problem on most sleds with longer tracks, dont know if the 500 is effected as much as the 600, 700, 800 sleds. I added a AUX cooler to my prox 136" , it was only $89.00! when it comes to lug size you need to ask yourself what you want to improve on? Off trail in fluff, had pack traction, ride????

I have a 136" x 1 1/4" studded ripsaw on my prox 700 , in fluff I wish I had more lug. on trail its great .

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I added a 136 to 98 XC 600 and love it, your 500 should spin it no problem, I gear down one step that is what I did and I lost very little none in the top speed dept.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i put an extension on i will still use the sled for trail riding most of the time. Whats the best lug hight for trail while still geting use of the extended track for off trail.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
a 1.25" will kill off about 3~5 mph top end and a 1" track should be about 1~2 mph slower then it being a 121" sled..... I like how the 1.25" hooks with studs. I can pull the skis up with a blip of the flipper at speeds under 30 mph! this was imposible with the stock track on my prox. I still have the skid frame sissor stops set on low weight transfer!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by msleder@Sep 24 2005, 05:06 PM
If i put an extension on i will still use the sled for trail riding most of the time.  Whats the best lug hight for trail while still geting use of the extended track for off trail.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=890398
[/quote]
a 1.5" is the biggest before hifax wear becomes a problem and handling on hardpack gets funny.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still need some more replys to be convinced that my 500 will do the job. Who is the best to go with for the rails and tunel

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
TRACKS USA, I did it dont regret it a bit, go with a 1" or 1 1/4"

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
It will pull it fine, the RMK came with that engine one year. Go to a 1.25" ripsaw style, and gear it down a bit, and a bit more helix with a silver/blue secondary spring. Use a HSP34X helix.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Since you mostly ride trail and are probably looking for a better ride and hooking up as well go for the ripsaw with 1.25 lug height. If you almost never ride the powder go with a 1 inch lug and save you hyfax even more and save some money. That 500 shouldn't have a problem pushing that track around. Rave X Performance can order stuff from parts unlimited if you want check out there site for gear www.ravexperformance.com or call them at 1-207-657-7727. They can probably give you prices on the different tracks and extension kits your looking for.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, your engine should be around the 90-100 HP. Not so long ago, Polaris had an Indy 500 RMK which was the old 488 Fuji engine with about 80-85 HP. They also had the XLT RMK with an 1.5" track on it.....it too was around 95-100 Hp. I say go for it. You won't be sorry. AFter longtracking my XCR 800, I couldn't believe it was the same sled - the ride was so much better.

YOur sled will pull a 1.25 fine. If you are concerned, then go for a 1" lug, but I think you will be giving up some fun. With the 136" 1.25 lug track, you will hook up like crazy and float across deep snow far better than it ever did as a 121....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question. With the heat exchanger bars under the tunnel. Do i need to find a special track that wont hit them or am i ok getting any 1.25 in lug track.

[attachment=99513:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
That is what my 600 has I used a Ripsaw, but I took some 1"x1" square alum tubing and extended to back of the tunnel ext. in line with the heat exchangers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is the "ripsaw", the track i should look into or are there other better tracks. Im thinking i will go with a 1.25 in lug.

·
Registered
823 Posts
i have been thinking about this as well....i think your track selection will be defined by what kind of conditions you consistantly ride on. If you ride mostly trail, the ripsaw will be awesome for you. If you ditch bang or ride off trail more than 50% of the time, i think you would be better to look towards a cross country track....thats the way im gonna go, because i dont' have any groomed trails around here. I spend most of my local riding in ditches and fields, etc.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info. The snowmobile trail goes right through my property so i do a lot of trail riding.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Originally posted by msleder@Sep 29 2005, 07:56 PM
is the "ripsaw", the track i should look into or are there other better tracks.  Im thinking i will go with a 1.25 in lug.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=900140
[/quote]

I think it is a excellent track for all around use, I like mine

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by REDWEDGE600@Sep 30 2005, 04:06 AM
I think it is a excellent track for all around use, I like mine
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=900708
[/quote]

REDWEDGE600 Wondering if you bought the track new. How much you paid for it and where to get one. also wondering if you could get a pic of your sled. from the little pic is looks nice. just wanted to see what the track and sled looked like.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Originally posted by msleder@Sep 30 2005, 11:28 AM
REDWEDGE600 Wondering if you bought the track new.  How much you paid for it and where to get one.  also wondering if you could get a pic of your sled.  from the little pic is looks nice.  just wanted to see what the track and sled looked like.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=901138
[/quote]

I got the track and ext from Tracks USA, I have to find the reciept.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a sweet looking sled. Havn't done much to mine yet. Plan on puting a low racer windshield, red skis, 2in riser bar, bar pad, handgaurds, Then the track extension.

[attachment=100146:attachment]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts