Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Hazelhurst, 13-year-old Miranda Phillips was killed when a snowmobile left a trail and struck a tree.

The Oneida County Sheriff's Department reports the accident occurred on the Bearskin Trail near Leigh Street. Authorities were notified of the mishap at approximately 11:12 p.m. Friday.

Phillips was a Hazelhurst resident.

The Oneida County Sheriff's Department, the Oneida County Medical Examiner and the DNR are continuing to investigate the accident.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
she was riding the sled right? im sure if she was going 55mph this would not have happened... :flush: :frech32:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Wayyyyy too many deaths this early in the season. Usually the only deaths we get this early are people going through the ice. Its unfortunate.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Originally posted by HOUGH@Dec 19 2005, 07:20 PM
she was riding the sled right?  im sure if she was going 55mph this would not have happened...    :flush:  :frech32:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1126382
[/quote]

She was actually doing about 35-40 MPH, according to witness accounts, She was on an old Cat Jag. she had just passed her brother, and was looking behind her for several seconds when she left the trail and impacted with a tree. The preliminary findings for C.O.D. are blunt force trauma about the chest and abdomen. Most likely upon impact from the description of the scene.
I have this information first hand from an attending EMT.
I also listened to this unfold on the scanner. there was alot of conflicting information about location given, causing 4 different rescue teams to be dispatched before the correct city team was ordered to roll. The location conflictions were in no way related to the loss of life.

This accident happened within 2 miles of the families home in Hazelhurst.

So, speed was not an issue, Nor was alcohol. But somehow the DNR will twist this into more ammunition for the new speed limit legislation.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Originally posted by xcsp@Dec 20 2005, 08:24 AM
Would a protective vest, such as a Tekvest, had made a difference in an accident like this?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1128334
[/quote]

I do not think a tec-vest would have helped this one, Although I do commend you for wearing one, I wear one also. It is uncomfortable, but if I ever take a good hit from a sharp branch, ski, or other object such as a handlebar end, it will help.

Most vest's, tek-vest, saf-jac and such are designed so ski's or studs do not pierce you in the vitals. it spreads the impact to a larger area, this was full blunt force to the entire body. basically the same as jumping out a window from 12 stories up.

If it were a tree branch or a ski ramming into your chest or back it offers excellent protection over nothing at all.

But they will do little for massive blunt force hits such as a tree or a car.

But keep wearing it!!

The sled was off the trail for 176 feet before she impacted. She was looking behind her at her brother when this wreck started, and ended. she never even saw the tree!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts