Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
The snowmobile safety course is not a snowmobile training course.
Exactly!
Try what? Being a good parent that knows their children's limitations!

Sent from my XT901 using Snowmobile.com App
You have no idea what the parents and kid went thru to decide it was OK to ride. He may have been right down the street from his home. It may have been a case of he didn't look twice.

It was a friggin accident and you are judging the parents that will live with this for the rest of their lives.

I consider myself safe and I was hit by a Ford Ranger pickup crossing the road and lived to tell about it. It was a case that I didn't look twice and was in a hurry to get some miles under my belt.

Things happen, show some compassion....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Exactly!

You have no idea what the parents and kid went thru to decide it was OK to ride. He may have been right down the street from his home. It may have been a case of he didn't look twice.

It was a friggin accident and you are judging the parents that will live with this for the rest of their lives.

I consider myself safe and I was hit by a Ford Ranger pickup crossing the road and lived to tell about it. It was a case that I didn't look twice and was in a hurry to get some miles under my belt.

Things happen, show some compassion....
Things do happen, but its our duty to make them happen less if possible. This was an entirley preventable accident.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Snowmobile.com App

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
:Dunno:

I rode alone at 12...the day I graduated safety class.

With that said....my daughter will NEVER be riding alone until she is at least 16.

Perhaps we should think about changing the law so that parents have to be within sight of youngsters? Like hunting.
X2! Same thing goes for my kids, this is my son's first year on trails and he has been riding on lakes and such since 2 1/2 and he races quads pretty fast but he even says not to sure about crossing hwys yet, and you have to figure they know how to drive sleds good or great but not a good judge of speed of on coming cars. On busy roads I have him wait until I get off my sled and flag him across but I also told him it is still his call and if he doesn't like what he sees to wait no hurry while out there.

RIP

·
Registered
468 Posts
Speechless…..God bless that young man and his family. I do not care what anyone’s opinions are….he was too young to die, period.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Friend of the family's. He wasn't more than a few miles away from home, 4:30 in the afternoon on a two lane country road, with not a lot of traffic that time of day, riding with his older brother in front. Good kid, good family, outdoors type, and just overlooked a truck coming. The crossing has a left turn once you cross the road, so he wasn't speeding through a stop sign continuing on his way. He stopped....Do we all stop and look both ways three times every single time? Probably not. What he saw or didn't see we'll never know. Hankiden, was it preventable? absolutely, but what f*** accident isn't? There are hundreds of variables for any accident that happens. The kid was out, doing something he and the family enjoyed, and it happened.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Friend of the family's. He wasn't more than a few miles away from home, 4:30 in the afternoon on a two lane country road, with not a lot of traffic that time of day, riding with his older brother in front. Good kid, good family, outdoors type, and just overlooked a truck coming. The crossing has a left turn once you cross the road, so he wasn't speeding through a stop sign continuing on his way. He stopped....Do we all stop and look both ways three times every single time? Probably not. What he saw or didn't see we'll never know. Hankiden, was it preventable? absolutely, but what f***ing accident isn't? There are hundreds of variables for any accident that happens. The kid was out, doing something he and the family enjoyed, and it happened.
Thanks for sharing more of what happened! Heart felt sorrow to the brother and the driver of the truck. That's a lot to live with!

Sent from my XT901 using Snowmobile.com App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Friend of the family's. He wasn't more than a few miles away from home, 4:30 in the afternoon on a two lane country road, with not a lot of traffic that time of day, riding with his older brother in front. Good kid, good family, outdoors type, and just overlooked a truck coming. The crossing has a left turn once you cross the road, so he wasn't speeding through a stop sign continuing on his way. He stopped....Do we all stop and look both ways three times every single time? Probably not. What he saw or didn't see we'll never know. Hankiden, was it preventable? absolutely, but what f*** accident isn't? There are hundreds of variables for any accident that happens. The kid was out, doing something he and the family enjoyed, and it happened.
All of them are, ive responded to too many young people who havent made it is all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Snowmobile.com App

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm with you bob. The parent should raise the child not the state. NO NEW LAWS!!! We have to many nannies already.:thumbsup:
Exactly. Last thing this sport needs is more idiots telling others what they can and can not do. Same with our nation. If a parent raises a good kid it's no one's business telling that parent/kid what they can and can not do.

I personally was riding trails alone and with friends at age 12. I've been riding on our property and lakes since 4... When I turned 12 my parents let me snowmobile to school with my neighbor... It was an hour and a half ride to school... (Abt 40 miles). My dad would have kicked my ass if I ever did something stupid. Would have sold my sled too... Kids need more discipline these days. Period.

Sent from Snowmobile.com App

21 - 32 of 32 Posts