Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a used 800 155" RMK ~2013 and newer for my son. Most of the Pro 13-14 RMK's I am seeing listed have a "new top" end or motor redone. Can someone tell me what exactly this means and why this is? Should I stay away from these? Other advice for a good longer track sled for my kid in ~$4,000 range? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,496 Posts
Mostly because the fuel mapping was to lean in n spots and the oil pump was set to lean also. Most people blame it on the pistons, but if they aren't lubricated no piston will last.

They got better each year. 14 on are the best. Until the 800 ho came out.

One other item to note is the oil cap can fail to vent. This starves the pump of oil making the problems worse.

If these issues are addressed they can be very good machines. Unfortunately lots of people slap a new set of pistons in without addressing the root cause.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I run my 13 in ethanol fuel setting. Seems to keep things cooler. I imagine it lets in more fuel because ethanol doesnt have as much energy. I cant tell a difference in eth mode to non eth 91. But I actually only run 91 non ethanol in it.

I got my engine blown. The oil cap was not venting. I couldnt even force air through it. I put on arctic cats new mountain oil cap. That vents gaurenteed and wont leak on a roll over.

I run scratchers to make sure it stays cool.

I also have my oil pump turned up too.

Cylinder skirts on the 13 and up 800s are the big beefy cylinder skirts. So that problem is fixed. Piston issues were fixed at that point too. They are superceeded to the 16 pro 800 pistons. 6163 is the ending part number.

Plus there is the whole durability kit propaganda that still exists, from companies trying to make money. And spreading false information. At 2013 or newer its just snake oil. Alot of false info out there on the later polaris 800s.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
For instance. Heres a quote on Hanson racings info on the polaris 800 "It's a known fact that the Polaris 800 twin engine from 2008-current has some serious issues that if not now, will eventually need to be fixed."

Completly FALSE. They make it seem like polaris never improved or fixed a thing and thats not correct at all. Polaris was constanly making changes and fixing things. 2013 just about all the problems within the engine were fixed. And the superceeded parts are even better.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
They were junk and Poo guys just don’t want to admit it. Do yourself a favour and buy Cat. Any pre 17 Mountain Cat will last for 10000 miles with no issues. Now watch all the Poo BS that no dought will come after this post. But what I’m telling you is true and nobody could ever say I’m wrong.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
They were junk and Poo guys just don’t want to admit it. Do yourself a favour and buy Cat. Any pre 17 Mountain Cat will last for 10000 miles with no issues. Now watch all the Poo BS that no dought will come after this post. But what I’m telling you is true and nobody could ever say I’m wrong.
You're wrong. That was easy, lol

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I know your just playing, I’m used to it. Lol But I’m serious about what I said. To just have fun and not have to do without a sled in midseason there are more durable options than what the OP is asking about. I know they have beefed them up and the newer models are better but how do you no what your getting? I’d sooner ride a sled that hasn’t had problems in the past.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I know your just playing, I’m used to it. Lol But I’m serious about what I said. To just have fun and not have to do without a sled in midseason there are more durable options than what the OP is asking about. I know they have beefed them up and the newer models are better but how do you no what your getting? I’d sooner ride a sled that hasn’t had problems in the past.
[/Q
I know I shouldnt fall for the trolling by why do guys insist on talking about shit based on internet BS?
If you worked on sleds every day you would realize that they all have a comparable number of issues and its just pick your poison.On top of that,if brand A sells 8 sleds and 4 have issues its the same as if brand B sells 4 sleds and 2 have issues.Do you hear more about the issues of brand A ?Of course you do because there are way more sleds out there.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I mean. Building every year engine from the crank up. And then working at a cat and polaris dealership. They both break. Cat sleds were in more for service work than polaris was slightly. Neither with blown engines. For all years. One 16 polaris pro s 800 had 10,000 miles on it. No issues. He just wanted it checked over. To say polaris 800s are still unreliable is just not right information at all. Cats 800 is a good engine. So is modern polaris 800s. Ive built em, seen several 13+ 800s with over 10k miles. Trail miles. So screw it. Get a modern cat or polaris 800. You'll probably be happy with either.

Its also common for mountain riders to do piston swaps too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MuscleD- I'm curious if the newer liberty 800s have alignment pins on the crank bearings? Also do they have the oiling holes drilled to feed the crank bearings with mix oil? These are two things that I believe polaris didn't do on some years and can contribute to the bad rap the 800 liberty has received over the years. I know Ski-doo tried to omit the bearing alignment dowels too and also had issues on the 800r.

So far the Cat (suzuki) 800 seems to be the most reliable but the rest of the machine offsets that advantage with crappy electronics wiring, problematic arctic clutching and diamond drive, loose rivets, weak rear axle design, crappy toe holds, weak factory skis etc etc.

I think its comparable to the dodge cummins partnership with a million mile engine in a 100,000 mile truck.

Not to sat the liberty is a bad engine. My 01 has been great and is getting close to 4000miles with no problems. I love that old sled

Of course I don't have any experience on the newer machines yet so my opinions may not apply to them. All my experience is with older machines so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts