Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - A friend gave me a 2002 120 that has not been used in a few years. I have spark and it will start fully choked, but immediately dies. More like it just fires and doesn’t even actually run. So far I have:
1. Put in new gas
2. Put in new spark plug
3. Dipped carb for three hours
4. Carb cleaned main jet, pilot jet, main nozzle, air screw, and sprayed whole carb.
5. Put a guitar string thru main jet, and every hole on nozzle and pilot jet.

Float seems good; needle seems good. Any help is appreciated; I’m getting frustrated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check that all the fuel lines are good and tight, make sure it isn't sucking air around any of the fittings or that it has any cracks in the line.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Sounds like it isnt getting enough fuel. Try putting a few cap fulls of fuel into the plug holes of each cylinder and see if it fires. This will tell you if its getting fuel or not.

Did you drain the old fuel before adding fresh?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
When it’s starts to die squirt a lil fuel in carb if it picks back up. You clearly have a fuel delivery issue. I’ve had a carb (on a 4 wheeler ) that would not work period no soaking no nothing. Replaced it and all was good

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel appeared empty when I got it, but I did not drain or clean tank.
The gas into the cylinder worked. Good idea. It run for a few seconds and then died. So no fuel is the issue - now what? I don’t see any drips that would suggest leaky or cracked lines. Plenty of fuel in the bowl each time I pull it. I just pulled everything out of the carb and will dip it again.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure to check the line inside the tank also, I had problem with one of my sleds and it was a cracked line inside the tank that was sucking air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after disassembling the carb and dipping everything for an hour, it started up. Ran rough with me playing with the choke for maybe 1-2 minutes. Then it died and would not start. So some progress, but still a dead sled in my garage.
Either carb is still not clean, or some sediment from the tank is getting into the carb.
Anyone pull the gas tank on these little sleds? It looks pretty tough. Thanks

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
5,909 Posts
Put fresh gas in the tank. Shake stir it as much as you can.

Siphon it out into a gas can with a funnel. Put some paper towel in the funnel, to catch sediment, rust and junk.
Repeat until you are not getting any more sediment in paper towel.

You might be able to do this using a long piece of hose, on the fuel outlet of the tank.

Now you need to make sure nothing is in the carb, blocking the fuel inlet valve or any of the jets or small air openings.
Make sure any adjustable fuel/air screws have been removed and carb cleaner with a nozzle sprayed into the sockets.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
In regards to “dipping“ the carb, not sure what your dipping it into but very few cleaners will actually remove all of the crap from the carb passages, one of my best friends is an old OMC mechanic and swears by OMC’s engine tuner for soaking gummed up carbs.
you’ll still have to blow air through the passageways to actually remove the crap but this engine tuner product will soften it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts