Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having starting issues with this sled for the last 2 years. When I bought the sled used, the starter worked great when it was very cold out the sled would start fine. Then 2 yrs ago I started having issues with the electric start that presented dead battery like symptoms. You turn the key and would get "whoomp whoomp whoomp" sound as if its trying to turn the starter gear on the primary but not enough juice to turn it quick enough over. I ordered a new gel battery threw it in on a fresh charge and same issue of it seeming like not enough power to turn that starter gear over.

Then last year when rebuilding the motor while everything was apart I rebuilt the pinion gear with "SPI - Starter Drive Gear Kit - Pinion Rebuild Kit" because I read that the pinion can stick or can break. Threw everything back together and still same issue of it seeming like it still was not having enough juice to start the sled when its cold.
Odd thing is when the sled is warm after riding 50 miles the electric start works fine until the next morning. Figuring it could have been a bad battery I ordered a Yuasa battery this past December. Installed that battery same issue as described above. Yesterday I just replaced the starter solenoid and ground down all the grounds and contacts I could find. The sled kicks over but still has that not enough juice sound when its trying to turn that starter gear. Yes the battery is on a trickle charger and had a full charge when I was trying and start the sled. The sled always starts fine when its warm.

So I'm am kinda at a loss with this electric start and want to fix this starting issue so I can sell the sled. Not sure why when it cold it doesn't want to start, but when its work the electric start works fine. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Electric start on these will rarely work when really cold out. Batteries and cold temps do not play well together. Mine works fine but if i leave it over night w/o the charger and it's below 20, no start. Even on the charger if its around zero or less, it won't start. You have to suck it up and pull start it, and like you said, after it warms up and you get some miles on it, it will work just fine. This goes for any battery, snowmobile or car or cordless drill.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have 7,800 miles on my 2012 and have always had the same issue. I even have a spare starter cause I swore that was it after I replaced the battery & solenoid. I lube that pinion gear often and keep my battery as charged as possible and have resigned to knowing most really cold days I'm pull starting on that first start of the day....

·
Administrator
24,528 Posts
The starter driveshaft is the issue with this system. You loose a TON of torque through that shaft. They work good when new, horrible when they age. I’m sure the heat from the exhaust doesn’t help it either. I have taken the e-start off from ever 800 CFI Polaris sleds I’ve owned because of this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The starter driveshaft is the issue with this system. You loose a TON of torque through that shaft. They work good when new, horrible when they age. I’m sure the heat from the exhaust doesn’t help it either. I have taken the e-start off from ever 800 CFI Polaris sleds I’ve owned because of this.
Replaced the flex shaft and pinion. With the newish battery fired right up.
I know my old battery that was less than a year old must have had a bad cell because it barely turned the sled over when i put it back in to test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts