Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are you guys seeing fro average run temperatures on 800 rmk's with 2.4 tracks?
rode today in lose snow a little semi packed and fresh snow and temps varied between 130ish to 170f seems high to me. my Dragons all ran in the mid 120's odd time it would dip into high 130's
Any input?? :snack:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
that does seem high.
although im not runing that tall of a lug, but with my 1.352" i took a glance at my temp yesterday and it was right at 126

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds about right, lug height shouldn't have much to do with it really, still throwing snow around. I wonder if less coolers on rmk? wouldn't think so:dunno:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think you were a little ways away from the temp light coming on.. Mine said 184 last year when my pos scratchers broke off on the trail and it was 50 degees in colorado and the light still didnt come on.. made me pretty uncomfortable though!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replace your stock snowflap with a solid one and you will see the temps decrease on the trail as long as there is some loose snow. The stock cutouts dont allow the wind to circulate the snow dust back up onto the coolers. Stupid design.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
122°F - 131°F regular running temps for my 800 144" with 2" lug. As obclimb stated, I believe the RMK has a smaller cooler design to save weight, as it truly is meant for off-trail use!

Like akmclean said, swap out the stock snow flap (with holes) for the solid flap (no holes). Polaris oem is 5438021-070. I'd also recommend a set of ice scratchers if your taking it across trails... It'll help keep the temps. down!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Scratchers will not only help keep temps down, but will also help save your sliders and track!

·
Registered
92 Posts
This got me thinking so looked up the temp light details in the Service manual and is as follows:
Hot lamp on
Idle = 230°F, WOT = 185°F

Hot lamp flash (also will activate engine misfire)
Idle = 239°F, WOT = 208°F

Looks like there is a linear step between idle and wide open throttle (WOT) for these ranges.

Certainly seems quite high, hopefully we never see this light on while running!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for posting this info seeya290.. nice to know I was a little ways away from the light coming on last year when it said 184 on the trail after may scratchers broke off!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts