Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a chance to try the new 10.4 sheeves and a clutch kit from Dakota Performance and I know all clutch kits are going to vary but I am curious what to expect. First off, the primary spring is orange and the secondary spring is silver. It engages at 4300 rpms and it seems to peek around 8100 rpms. Right now, the conditions are not very good and nothing to compare it against so I am not sure what to expect. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I finally had a chance to try the new 10.4 sheeves and a clutch kit from Dakota Performance and I know all clutch kits are going to vary but I am curious what to expect. First off, the primary spring is orange and the secondary spring is silver. It engages at 4300 rpms and it seems to peek around 8100 rpms. Right now, the conditions are not very good and nothing to compare it against so I am not sure what to expect. Let me know what you think.[/b]
Is your machine stock? It should only be revving at 7750-7800 max.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, but this could be hindering your full shift. Adding weight, changing helix, or softer secondary springs are a few options. Most importantly make sure your clutches are shifting fully. Also I found the XS 812 belt to work very well in place of the 044.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes, but this could be hindering your full shift. Adding weight, changing helix, or softer secondary springs are a few options. Most importantly make sure your clutches are shifting fully. Also I found the XS 812 belt to work very well in place of the 044.[/b]

Which belt is that.. the ultimax??? What did you notice to be the difference between that and the 044 belt. That is what I am running!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Which belt is that.. the ultimax??? What did you notice to be the difference between that and the 044 belt. That is what I am running![/b]
Yes that is the ultimax. The ultimax xs812 works great on my 05 F6 with the 10.4 as well, alot less belt slip and heat. Drops your rpms down a bit, around 200 rpms or so... just from better belt grip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys notice any improvements performance wise on top end? Does the 10.4 seem to work better in loose snow conditons than the previous set up? It seems like I have a lot better low end and considering studs. How many would you recommend? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do you guys notice any improvements performance wise on top end? Does the 10.4 seem to work better in loose snow conditons than the previous set up? It seems like I have a lot better low end and considering studs. How many would you recommend? Thanks for all the help.[/b]
The 10.4 allows the belt climb more of the clutch. It allows the machine to stretch its legs. Are you gonna race or just trail ride. If you are going to trail ride.. use the least amount as possible. You just want enough that if you hit some ice and need to stop...you can. IMO
Too many pics and especially when they are not needed, can cause unwanted vibrations and it is just more weight on the track. I have 170 I think. I run chisels though and hang out mostly on the ice. I would defintely not use 170 for trail riding.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes that is the ultimax. The ultimax xs812 works great on my 05 F6 with the 10.4 as well, alot less belt slip and heat. Drops your rpms down a bit, around 200 rpms or so... just from better belt grip.[/b]

would i have to change the clutching with a drop in rpms then??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts