Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got on trail and at about 1/2 throttle she went blahhhhh and died. Another f7 was on the trail dead told me he's already had a piston replaced he didn't have 80 miles on yet. Mine started back up and I rode 28 miles just to get some break in miles should I be nervous about what I'd see if I took the y-pipe off? :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Well other than that little mishap no problems this sled rocks now we just need more snow!! Northern Michigan needs a good winter with lots of snow so I can tell my poo buddies see told ya so!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
1.5 miles for me and same thing...Blahhhhhhh, It did restart only to run on 1 cyl. I took the Y-Pipe off to find the PTO side piston was toast.
For the amount of time it takes and for piece of mind I would make a trip to the dealer (NOW) Get in there before all the engine parts are gone.
From what I hear some already are backordered to JAN 15th.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't get this. You guys have me freaking out.

Here is my sleds history.

Took off trailer from dealer.
Put on trailer to take to our shop.
Took off trailer at shop.
Put on trailer to take home.
Took off trailer to put back in garage.
Put on trailer to go for ride.
Took off trailer.
Rode at no more than half throttle around park for about 15 min.
Put back on trailer.
Took of trailer back in garage.
Ran on jackstand for a total of 30 min, 15 front, 15 back, to check for air pockets. Coolant stayed the same. All heat exchangers got warm to touch, about the same temp as the head.

Have 0.7 hours and 3.6 miles. Planning a trip the weekend after Christmas.

Should I be concerned or not?? :wacko:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I myself will be bringing a back-up sled for my first trip to Timmins on New Years.
I sure hope I wont have to use it, But at least I'll have some thing to ride if the F7 goes blahhhhhhhhh again.
:wacko:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just returned from the u.p. and logged 500 miles on two f-7s. Both ran great. There is a slight hesitation when the engine is cold in the morning, but found that flipping the fuel switch to ethanol cured the problem until the motor warmed up. This is adding 3% more fuel and is like running with the choke slightly on. The sleds ran smooth and flawless. I also did some 2-3 foot deep powder for about 15miles and everything worked great. Marginal snow also without any sign of heating. no darting, no pushing, slight inside ski lift in hard corners. just my report

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by ridna7@Dec 9 2002, 08:15 PM
got on trail and at about 1/2 throttle she went blahhhhh and died. Another f7 was on the trail dead told me he's already had a piston replaced he didn't have 80 miles on yet. Mine started back up and I rode 28 miles just to get some break in miles should I be nervous about what I'd see if I took the y-pipe off? :(
Same thing happened to me twice...road for another 4 hrs to total 120 for the day and took my sled in last Monday to make sure all was ok and it looked like someone played kick the can with my pistons and cylinder walls...so I would have it checked to take the excuses away.

Trust but verify and then you can ride without worrying which is a lot more fun than waiting for the blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The main thing with these are they need to be warmed up
they can take up to 10-15 minutes to get the running board's
warm..and can take another 5 minutes of going easy at
15-20 mph to get them right up to temputer...go easy warm
them up right...make sure all air is out of coolent and u have
lot;s of de-icer in for water...go have fun.

·
Registered
245 Posts
REv, thats exactly What I found. I let it sit on the stand for like 15 minutes, then Run it on stand for 1.5 - 2 min more. I run it around the parking area, and off to the trail. It took about 1.5 miles for it to warm up and respond well. COLD BLOODED BITCH. WELL WORTH THE WAIT.

GO SLAM IT OFF THE MOGULS, SHE'll BEG FOR MORE :wacko:

·
Registered
534 Posts
BTW: Had a bit of hesitation after the first fill-up. I had 100 miles on my F7 and put 10.4 gallons in it. After starting it and going across the street from the gas station, the sled hesitated a bit. (The engine was still warm. I think it was the computer getting recalibrated for (much less) no pre-mix. About 20 seconds (it might have hesitated a bit a couple of times), the Patriot lit up again and found her soul. . . one of instant almost pre-thought accelleration. The thing almost pre-guesses my throttle pull and takes off. It's GREAT. . .

Can hardly wait for next weekend.

QUESTION:
I'm wondering if the dealer does anything I wouldn't do with normal maintainance (adjust track, check to insure bolts are tight, grease zerks again) with the first "recommended checkup". Anyone out there know what the dealer does that would justify the "first checkup"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts