Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the limiter staps up 1 hole and now the front end darts. It darted a little before I did this but now it is really noticible. I removed the ski's and put the rubber blocks under the spindle in backwards and that helped some. (dealer recommended this) I am going to check my toe in tonight and make sure it is 1/8 to 1/4" toed out. If the toe is O.K. is there any other way to take the darting out of it without having to purchase new ski's? I am running 7.5" shaper bars on stock ski's with 120 studs in a 14" track. I also have the coupler blocks on 4 and the triangles on the stiffest setting. Any tips would be appreciated.

Sled runs pretty good... I had the speedometer on 111 down a hard pack road racing my bro's 2005 F7. We were dead even the entire race. :biggrin: My sled is totally stock.

Bulldog

·
Registered
899 Posts
The only way I have ever gotten rid of most if not all darting was with new ski's. The Simmons skis are the only ones that don't dart or track. My current Powder Pro's are pretty bad; especially when I follow my buddy who also has Powder Pro's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
same crap with my 08 sp, thinking of getting some CA razorz had them on my f7 worked GREAT

·
Lake Runner!
17,502 Posts
how much ski pressure are you running? if you took your straps up an inch i would suspect that you could take the shock pressure down a bit?!?! i know mine darts pretty bad right now, but i am running a shitload of ski pressure to keep them planted in the corners. as soon as i get the straps pulled up a bit, i will take some pounds out of them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not checked my Ski Pressure yet. I will do that tonight. If your sleds are darting realy bad try putting the rubber block under the spindel in backwards. (so the arrow that says forward is facing towards the back of the machine) All you have to do is remove the bolt holding the ski on and flip them around. What it does is lift the front of the ski slightly so they dont follow other tracks but it still corners nicely. This helped mine quite a bit and was a tip from my dealer. It still darts under certain snow conditions though and when applying heavy brake. That is what I am trying to get out of it. How much for a set of Simmons ski's? Is there a certain kind of Simmons ski that works best?

·
Registered
899 Posts
There are Simmons Gen I or II. I just sold a pair of gen I, but wish I held onto them. The gen II skis are wider for better off trail floatation. You are probably talking $330 for a complete set of either gen I or II.

I haven't used C&A skis so I cannot comment on them, but you will not dart with Simmons. I miss that aspect of them the most. The Powder Pro's seem to corner a bit better, but dart like crazy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I pulled the limiter staps up 1 hole and now the front end darts. It darted a little before I did this but now it is really noticible. I removed the ski's and put the rubber blocks under the spindle in backwards and that helped some. (dealer recommended this) I am going to check my toe in tonight and make sure it is 1/8 to 1/4" toed out. If the toe is O.K. is there any other way to take the darting out of it without having to purchase new ski's? I am running 7.5" shaper bars on stock ski's with 120 studs in a 14" track. I also have the coupler blocks on 4 and the triangles on the stiffest setting. Any tips would be appreciated.

Sled runs pretty good... I had the speedometer on 111 down a hard pack road racing my bro's 2005 F7. We were dead even the entire race. :biggrin: My sled is totally stock.

Bulldog[/b]
Try phoning Scott Bergstrom at Bergstrom Skegs. Based on his advice I shimmed the back of my skis and installed ski savers. I also use his triple point skegs which work great (longest last carbides I've ever used by a lot). The shim is attached to the back of the ski rubbers on the bottom....it raises the front of the ski up similar to what you did by reversing the stock rubber. The shims I've used on my last 4 sleds were 3/16" thick and were basically pieces of chopped up ski-savers. I think you could go thicker but the thicker you go the harder it will be to put the ski back on. Check out his website and give him a call.

Bergstrom

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Here is what I have done and I really like it. I weigh in at 218 then add gear. I'm 6'0". I have front shock pressure set to roughly 58psi (skis off ground in a garage at 45 deg F). Limiter straps still at factory position. Front skid shock is almost all the way backed off (more than likely backing it off all the way soon). Rear springs set on lightest. Coupler blocks set on one. Now It rails in the corners with hardly any ski lift. Nice hole shot (atleast as can be expected) OH, 170 studs down the middle. Handles well in the bumps. I have about 2 inches of travel left in the front shocks and I hit some big ones so I think I can take a bit more pressure out of them. Maybe 2-3 psi. and like I said I should be backing off the front skid spring all the way unless it becomes loose. I'll say this, it has a tad bit of heavy steering, but not that bad at all. Stock skis with 9 in shapers.
I think most of this so called heavy steering is coming from the rider position that we sit at now. As well as how these sleds seem like they pull so hard etc. This position seems to affect a lot of the feeling in the sled.
Just my .02. Take it for what it's worth.
Figure if someone is roughly my size this may help.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
The solution is Simmons skis with 6" carbides on all the edges. You'll be glad you did. :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Darting happens at one time or another no matter what you use. conditions change constantly. The worst you can do is fight the dart, let it go where it wants unless its off trail. Most high mileage sledders will tell you this.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Darting happens at one time or another no matter what you use. conditions change constantly. The worst you can do is fight the dart, let it go where it wants unless its off trail. Most high mileage sledders will tell you this.[/b]
Agreed!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Agreed, but sometimes too much darting can be dangerous. My sled may pull a foot to the left or right at any given time and if you're not paying attention you could wind up on your side or fall off.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
To me, darting is one of the things about snowmobiling. Doesn't bother some people, but to most, it can get old (and sometimes dangerous) real fast.

After years of experimenting and $$$$$ spent, I can tell you that all skis and carbides are a compromise one way or another. Set up aggressive to really carve, you'll likely get darting AND find the roll point of you and the sled a helluva lot easier/quicker – not always a good thing for the average trail rider. Set up for no darting – doolies, dooleys, suresteers, anti-darting devices – will help reduce or eliminate the darting, but you WILL give up something in turning ability and response as well. The trick it to come up with the setup that YOU are happy with MOST of the time. I can't stand darting anymore, so I'm more than willing to sacrfice a little steering for a nice, easy, predictable, straight-tracking sled. I'm running the Simmons on my '07 F1000 with 4, 4" carbides, and so far I REALLY like 'em. A slight steering effort increase, a slight carving/response decrease, and the best part... ZERO darting, and a very high level of predictability. I would be curious however to try the stock Cat offset carbides on the stock skis again to see how they compare to the Simmons, but for now the Simmons for ME were worth the $$$$$$ compared to the stock skis and single shaper carbides.

Hope this helps, but remember, it IS all a compromise with so many variables and conditions we run these machines through! – Roy

·
Registered
810 Posts
great post Roy, how are the simmons in icey corners? do they push much? i thought 8 inch dooly's were great for the darting issue but you were going straight when a corner got icey. C&A razors with shaper bars work great most of the time we've found but will still dart some when the snow is set-up certain ways out on the trail.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Agreed, but sometimes too much darting can be dangerous. My sled may pull a foot to the left or right at any given time and if you're not paying attention you could wind up on your side or fall off.[/b]
Yeah, that's extreme.

Nicely put Roy. Like I said, with my set up, I get minimal darting. Usually it's from just following in the tracks ahead of me.
But I like the way it rails the corners too much to change it much.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
great post Roy, how are the simmons in icey corners? do they push much? i thought 8 inch dooly's were great for the darting issue but you were going straight when a corner got icey. C&A razors with shaper bars work great most of the time we've found but will still dart some when the snow is set-up certain ways out on the trail.[/b]
BTW, my post above SHOULD say: To me, darting is one of the WORST things about snowmobiling. (Damn editing time limit anyway.)

In my experience the ONLY thing that works on icey corners, if you're truely down to the ice, is new, sharp carbides, especially in colder temps as the ice starts to really harden up. I will probably upgrade to the 6" carbides for the Simmons instead of the 4". – Roy

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the great info guys. I have to say I rode my sled last night and it didnt dart much at all... as a matter of fact it was awesome! I think it was the snow conditions I was on last week causing it to dart. I really think putting my rubber blocks under the spindles in backwards makes a huge difference. If any of your sleds are darting try this as it is a very easy fix... and cheap too! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Thanks for all the great info guys. I have to say I rode my sled last night and it didnt dart much at all... as a matter of fact it was awesome! I think it was the snow conditions I was on last week causing it to dart. I really think putting my rubber blocks under the spindles in backwards makes a huge difference. If any of your sleds are darting try this as it is a very easy fix... and cheap too! :biggrin:[/b]
LOL... trust me, just when you thought your darting is all gone and "fixed," (certain ideal conditions) the next time you go out, TA-DA... there it is again, just like a bad dream. Been there, done that! – Roy

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yah but as long as everyone else is darting too I can live with it and just write it off as bad snow conditions... If I have the only sled that is doing it... then I am pissed!

That being said... I am really starting to fall in love with this new F8. I switched wih a guy last night that has a 2003 F5 and could not believe how primitive that sled felt compared to mine. I could hardly drive it! All he could say was how wierd mine felt because he thought he was going to roll it in every corner because his center of gravity was so much higher. You couldn't get me to go back to one of those.

Bulldog

1 - 20 of 28 Posts