Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded my 08 XP 146X for an 08 Dragon 700 RMK 155. Just couldn't get comfortable with the XP's characteristics. But that's another story. However, I am impressed how the 155 feels so much like the 136 (stretched 121) until you get into the really deep and steep.

However; my new Dragon 155 makes a horrid noise when hard braking for higher speeds. First thought the chain was skipping. Chain tension appears good. Next thought it was the track. Track was slightly loose, but not enough to convince me that it is skipping cogs. Haven't been able to ride since adjusting it. It's been suggested that it is just the backshift. I have an 07 Dragon 136 with almost 2000 miles that makes no such noises. Yes the 07 will clunk once when accelerating after hard decel, but the 155 makes several in a row during the decel until I ease up on the braking or it gets down below 30ish.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Just traded my 08 XP 146X for an 08 Dragon 700 RMK 155. Just couldn't get comfortable with the XP's characteristics. But that's another story. However, I am impressed how the 155 feels so much like the 136 (stretched 121) until you get into the really deep and steep.

However; my new Dragon 155 makes a horrid noise when hard braking for higher speeds. First thought the chain was skipping. Chain tension appears good. Next thought it was the track. Track was slightly loose, but not enough to convince me that it is skipping cogs. Haven't been able to ride since adjusting it. It's been suggested that it is just the backshift. I have an 07 Dragon 136 with almost 2000 miles that makes no such noises. Yes the 07 will clunk once when accelerating after hard decel, but the 155 makes several in a row during the decel until I ease up on the braking or it gets down below 30ish.

Any ideas?[/b]

That must of been your XP at OM?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ride it after adjusting the track. That should be it. I adjusted mine to close to or less than 1" of sag with no weight. Noise is gone.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The new center extro is causing some ratcheting issues when braking going downhill or hard braking on the trail. The series 5 tracks like to be run really tight. Where's the story about why you got rid of your XP? I know you were one of the first with an S module failure.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... Where's the story about why you got rid of your XP? I know you were one of the first with an S module failure.[/b]
Yes, I started the whole "glass jaw" thread. After dealing with dozens, yeah dozens between our group, of A-arms on the IQ chassis without one single frame failure, I was less than impressed to total the S-module and not even tweak a A-arm. Then we got into the whole belt issue, and to be honest I only ruined one belt, and started a second, but had two spares because I didn't want to lose a ride.

The real issue is that I never got comfortable with the machine. The extraordinary power made it extremely responsive. The power to weight made it almost too easy to go over backward. The stiff throttle coupled with the engine braking characteristic exagerated the effects so I was never sure whether I would tail land or snuff the nose. The rider forward position further exagerated the perception of nose diving. It seemed to require continuous shuffling of the foot position forward and back depending on what I was doing. However; I have two buddies that love their's. But they were both previous rev riders.

Short of it all, if you like the REV, you may very well love the XP. The XP displays the epitomy of seemingly unbridled power IMO. Could be a good machine, just not for me.

I like how the balance of the RMK 155 almost duplicates the 136. I can jump from one to the other and never feel unsettled. Two years ago I had a chance to ride the Dragon RMK 155 at Polaris' unveiling in Utah. I took it over a cornice that must have approached 50ish feet vertical. It was that ride that convinced me to get the 121 and stretch it. Since going to the 136 x 1.75 backcountry, I'm starting to wonder why I thought I needed the 155. But a virgin trip over snow mountain to the border in better than five feet of powder, where it was stop and go because the trail was blocked with alders, proved the value of the 155.

Yes, I traded at OM. If you want an XP, that is one hell of a deal, max warranty and all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
JUST A QUESTION,
I HAVE AN 800 DRAGON RMK COMING I BOUGHT AT OM AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF THEY HAVE YOUR 700 RMK SET UP FOR OUR ELVEVATION, FROM THE FACTORY OR DID OM DO IT. JUST WANT TO BE READY WHEN IT SHOWS UP SO I CAN BE PREPARED TO RIDE WHEN IT ARRRIVES! SOON I HOPE!!
MISER

·
Registered
456 Posts
The new center extro is causing some ratcheting issues when braking going downhill or hard braking on the trail. The series 5 tracks like to be run really tight. Where's the story about why you got rid of your XP? I know you were one of the first with an S module failure.[/b]
There is no center extro on the 155" only on the 163".

If you look in the owners manual, Polaris recomments 3/8" to 1/2" of sag measured 16" in front of the rear axle with a 10lb weight hung from the track. That's pretty tight.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JUST A QUESTION,
I HAVE AN 800 DRAGON RMK COMING I BOUGHT AT OM AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF THEY HAVE YOUR 700 RMK SET UP FOR OUR ELVEVATION, FROM THE FACTORY OR DID OM DO IT. JUST WANT TO BE READY WHEN IT SHOWS UP SO I CAN BE PREPARED TO RIDE WHEN IT ARRRIVES! SOON I HOPE!!
MISER[/b]
First sled from OM? Based on my experiences, and they are many, I hope you're dealing with Larry. He will do you right!

No, mine was stock (7-9000 feet) and was not set up for our "lower" elevation. It was an "impulse" buy so I didn't make a lot of demands. It is indeed clutched too low . It is suggested to increase the clutch weights from I believe 62 ( or maybe 60) stock to 64 for 2-4000 or 66 for 0-2000ft. As I have a set of 10-66's, I have since bought a set of 64's to try first (albeit this weekend). Preferring zing over speed, I wanted to try the 64's first. After all, I tried heavier weights in the 136 last year and went back to stock. HMMM, maybe there is something to those clicker thingamagigs (naaa!).
PS: Maybe we could ride together sometime if you don't mind carrying an old man along! Just got to be willing to yank on who's ever sled isn't moving at the time. And we call that fun???

·
Registered
47 Posts
YES, I AM DEALING WITH LARRY(HE'S A GOOD GUY). THANKS FOR THE INFO. I WILL SEE IF THEY CAN SET IT UP FOR OUR ELEV. THEN I WILL TWEAK! LOVE TO RIDE WITH NEW FACES, I HAVE SEVERAL FRIENDS WITH LONGER TRACK MACHINES(ALL BRANDS) WE DO ALOT OF OFF TRAIL. BOTH HERE AND OUT WEST. NOT AFRAID OF TUGGING(ALL PART OF THE FUN!)NEXT TIME WE ARE HEADED TOWARDS BOSEBUCK I WILL POST. THANKS FOR THE INFO. HAVE A BLAST ON YOUR 700.
MISER

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
There is no center extro on the 155" only on the 163".

If you look in the owners manual, Polaris recomments 3/8" to 1/2" of sag measured 16" in front of the rear axle with a 10lb weight hung from the track. That's pretty tight.[/b]
Oh. There is on the 800 155.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts