Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have 900 miles on my switchback and have mixed feelings about it. The ride and handling are great in all conditions. Oil use was very high at 28 to 32:1 and it fouled some plugs the first two tanks. I have backed off the pump and am aiming for 50:1. I am now at in the range of 55 to 60:1. I will have to readjust asap for now I am just adding a measured amount of oil to the tank so it is running at about 50:1. The plugs a much cleaner now but I feel the CFI is still calibrated on the rich side as the plugs are always a very dark brown to black instead of tan. At first I was only getting 7 to 8 mpg Canadian. Tried rides at various speeds and snow conditions and never got any better than 9 mpg. Backed off track tension from the recommended 1 1/8 inch with 10 lbs pull to 2 inches the unit seemed more free wheeling and I did manage 10 mpg at moderate speeds ( 40 to 60 mph) in packed ditches. My friend with an 08 renegade 800R seems to make 5 to 6 mpg better.

Put on about 350 miles on groomed trails the last few days, and again I am very impressed with the ride and handling. Performance seems good but haven't done any side by side comparisons yet. Did one speed run on a groomed stretch of lake and managed a respectable 104 mph. But again the mileage is disappointing. On a 68 mile family ride with my 155 lb son driving in the 30 to 50 mph range it only managed 12.5 mpg. I guess the good news is it doesn't drop off to much if you ride hard. The next day on similar trails riding at 50 to 70 mph 190 lb rider it got 10.4 mpg. My 2001 600 XCSP is always 3 to 4 mpg better with myself or my son on it.
I guess my next step is to try clutching and gearing. I would sure like to see 14 to 15 mpg on groomed trails. Maybe I should have got a 600 as it sound like they will run with the 700 and use less fuel. I hope Polaris comes up with a reflash to bring the fuel consumption at least close to the Doo 800R. Again I feel it can be leaned out some especially in the midrange as the plugs are always very dark brown to black. I do prefer the Polaris ride and handling so for now I guess I will just have to strap on the gas pail and enjoy the ride.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts