Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07' XF 800 I am waiting for ins. money totaled it! However I love the ride of the XF but am leaning towards the 07' F8! Looking for some feed back, to make my decision. I hear the ride of the F8 is a step higher than the XF 800, is this true? All input will be appreciated!

Thanks Jr

·
Registered
342 Posts
f chassis rides nicer and corners better, a much better trail sled. however the crossfire is a better off-trail and powder sled, depends where and how you ride. in the flatlands with occasional powder and rolling hills i love the F.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't go out west! I ride more trails than anything off trail in U.P. once and a while! So the F series is the way to go if riding 90% trails?

·
Registered
342 Posts
get the f you will love it, by the sounds of it you're driving style will really suit it! make damn sure you get a 1.25 track tho, f8 will be way nicer with it, huge difference. go cobra if you can but ripsaws are great too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
get the f you will love it, by the sounds of it you're driving style will really suit it! make damn sure you get a 1.25 track tho, f8 will be way nicer with it, huge difference. go cobra if you can but ripsaws are great too.[/b]
Sounds great! Where did the option come from for the cobra vs. ripsaw? Is that an option on the sno pro or on stantard LXR?

I do appreciate your feedback kcat! I was leaning towards the F and now I think you have convinced my lean toward them!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't want to cloud the issue but I have a XF 1000 standard and I have ridden a F1000 SnoPro and a Jag. I was suprised at how little difference there was in the ride when switching back and forth on a semi-rough trail. The only issue with the XF is the front skid bottoming out too often. The XF chassis also offers alot more wind protection than any of the newer chassis, and IMO is more "flickable" despite its length. I do not do alot of powder riding, but of course the XF will have an advantage here. Finally, I saw a top speed of 114 mph on my XF last year, and very few F's were doing any better.

My point is I felt pretty damn good about my Crossfire AFTER riding the F... alot of people picking the F may not have ridden them both back to back.

Cheers

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have an F6 SP and a Crossfire 7 SP that I ride interchangably, so I should be able to give you some insight.

Contrary to what some have posted about this, I really don't think the riding position is much different (with the seat way down on the F). You sit roughly the same height. I think the stock bars are just a little higher on the Crossfire (making it easier to stand). The adjustable seat certainly is a plus on the F for ditch banging (but it ruins the handling on windy trails so you want it down for that). Your feet may be a little further forward on the F, but not much. Anyway, you can find this stuff out by sitting on the two at the dealer. I think the wider seat on the F is a little easier on one's butt which contributes to the comfortable, "ride all day" feeling of the F's.

The suspension just seems to "work" a little better on the F's than the Crossfires. This certainly has a lot to do with the shocks, springs, and valving of the specific model and year. The ride is a little cushier on my F, but not nearly as much as many people would lead you to believe. Sno Pro to Sno Pro, there is no "huge" difference, period. I think the shocks on my F are valved a little lighter, so it feels a little more compliant but it also bottoms a little easier. So many people are coming off Firecats, so the have an amazing appreciation for comfort of the F's, but I don't think that the Crossfire to F difference is anything earth shattering. I was "amazed" by the Crossfire, coming off my Firecat last year.

Regarding handling, there again, setup has everything to do with it. The Crossfire with its 1.25" x 136" track really bites good and hooks up great, but even my F with its 1" x 128" track hooks up good, now that my limiter straps are pulled up. Bite in the front can be gotten with either, depending on skis, wear rods, and shock air pressure. I have 6" shapers on both, stock skis on the F and Razors on the CF, and both bite great. The steering system itself feels better on the F, I believe they have bearings in the steering post, and the geometry of the linkage makes it a "progressive" motion instead of linear. The steering on the F's gives you the feeling of more precise control of the sled than the steering on the Crossfires.

I always feel more stable when going in a straight line on my Crossfire. It feels long and secure, where the F feels a little more stubby and choppy. On windy trails, the F feels just a little more nimble, where the Crossfire just seems to take slightly more "work" to get it to turn. Crossfire may have a slightly higher center of gravity, as I find myself with the inside ski up in the air in corners much more often than on the F. All in all, slight advantage "F" in high speed cornering.

My Crossfire has much more ski lift under acceleration than my F. Of course my Crossfire has more HP as well, but I get the feeling that if the had the same engine, the CF would just have more ski lift (you get ski lift without even punching it too hard). Some don't care about ski lift and some do.

Regarding floatation in loose snow, Cat markets these things as totally different sleds, and I think most people buy into this (I did), but the differences are not really significant when you look close. The Crossfire weighs a few pounds less, but not a huge amount. The Crossfire has a longer track, but in reality it's only 6.25% longer. How much more powder will that get you through? A little bit more maybe? Others may have real world experience in deep snow with both sleds, I don't (not enough snow here for that yet)!

The Crossfire has a few mountain-oriented features borrowed from the M that might be a factor for some people (the bars and the adjustable ski stance, for example). The Crossfire has a more useable trunk, and the rack on the back could be useful. You can put a shovel under the Crossfire's seat. The Crossfire has a much more accessible engine; it seems that they finally came up with the ultimate system for good access to everything, with the conventional hood and the removable side panels, and then they go to something different with the F's (for feasibility reasons, I suppose). The painted hood and textured bellypan if the Crossfire is far superior to the cheesy ATV plastic on the F's; its durable and easy to maintain. Everyone with an 07 F knows how crappy their black plastic parts look by now. Some don't care so it's not an issue for them :thumbsup:

Wind protection is better on the Crossfires out of the box, and is great on the F's as well, as long as you have a mid height windshield. Electric start is not available on Crossfires. The Crossfire has more room in front of the Rider for a child to ride. And this one's important for just about everyone, the headlights on the new F's are much, much better than the Crossfire / Firecat "cat eyes." Big difference riding these two sleds at night.

If you want an '08 Crossfire, you better like black and orange, and better like black bellypans...

Good luck with this decision, let us know!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an F6 SP and a Crossfire 7 SP that I ride interchangably, so I should be able to give you some insight.

Contrary to what some have posted about this, I really don't think the riding position is much different (with the seat way down on the F). You sit roughly the same height. I think the stock bars are just a little higher on the Crossfire (making it easier to stand). The adjustable seat certainly is a plus on the F for ditch banging (but it ruins the handling on windy trails so you want it down for that). Your feet may be a little further forward on the F, but not much. Anyway, you can find this stuff out by sitting on the two at the dealer. I think the wider seat on the F is a little easier on one's butt which contributes to the comfortable, "ride all day" feeling of the F's.

The suspension just seems to "work" a little better on the F's than the Crossfires. This certainly has a lot to do with the shocks, springs, and valving of the specific model and year. The ride is a little cushier on my F, but not nearly as much as many people would lead you to believe. Sno Pro to Sno Pro, there is no "huge" difference, period. I think the shocks on my F are valved a little lighter, so it feels a little more compliant but it also bottoms a little easier. So many people are coming off Firecats, so the have an amazing appreciation for comfort of the F's, but I don't think that the Crossfire to F difference is anything earth shattering. I was "amazed" by the Crossfire, coming off my Firecat last year.

Regarding handling, there again, setup has everything to do with it. The Crossfire with its 1.25" x 136" track really bites good and hooks up great, but even my F with its 1" x 128" track hooks up good, now that my limiter straps are pulled up. Bite in the front can be gotten with either, depending on skis, wear rods, and shock air pressure. I have 6" shapers on both, stock skis on the F and Razors on the CF, and both bite great. The steering system itself feels better on the F, I believe they have bearings in the steering post, and the geometry of the linkage makes it a "progressive" motion instead of linear. The steering on the F's gives you the feeling of more precise control of the sled than the steering on the Crossfires.

I always feel more stable when going in a straight line on my Crossfire. It feels long and secure, where the F feels a little more stubby and choppy. On windy trails, the F feels just a little more nimble, where the Crossfire just seems to take slightly more "work" to get it to turn. Crossfire may have a slightly higher center of gravity, as I find myself with the inside ski up in the air in corners much more often than on the F. All in all, slight advantage "F" in high speed cornering.

My Crossfire has much more ski lift under acceleration than my F. Of course my Crossfire has more HP as well, but I get the feeling that if the had the same engine, the CF would just have more ski lift (you get ski lift without even punching it too hard). Some don't care about ski lift and some do.

Regarding floatation in loose snow, Cat markets these things as totally different sleds, and I think most people buy into this (I did), but the differences are not really significant when you look close. The Crossfire weighs a few pounds less, but not a huge amount. The Crossfire has a longer track, but in reality it's only 6.25% longer. How much more powder will that get you through? A little bit more maybe? Others may have real world experience in deep snow with both sleds, I don't (not enough snow here for that yet)!

The Crossfire has a few mountain-oriented features borrowed from the M that might be a factor for some people (the bars and the adjustable ski stance, for example). The Crossfire has a more useable trunk, and the rack on the back could be useful. You can put a shovel under the Crossfire's seat. The Crossfire has a much more accessible engine; it seems that they finally came up with the ultimate system for good access to everything, with the conventional hood and the removable side panels, and then they go to something different with the F's (for feasibility reasons, I suppose). The painted hood and textured bellypan if the Crossfire is far superior to the cheesy ATV plastic on the F's; its durable and easy to maintain. Everyone with an 07 F knows how crappy their black plastic parts look by now. Some don't care so it's not an issue for them :thumbsup:

Wind protection is better on the Crossfires out of the box, and is great on the F's as well, as long as you have a mid height windshield. Electric start is not available on Crossfires. The Crossfire has more room in front of the Rider for a child to ride. And this one's important for just about everyone, the headlights on the new F's are much, much better than the Crossfire / Firecat "cat eyes." Big difference riding these two sleds at night.

If you want an '08 Crossfire, you better like black and orange, and better like black bellypans...

Good luck with this decision, let us know![/b]
Ya know I have yet to ride a new F-series sled but from your pro's and con's of each it leaves my opinion of going to the F-series even stonger!

What you said about trails I agree that the XF is not as nimble. But to know that the F cat is more nimble is what I am looking for! Since I have had 2 surgeries on my shoulder in the past 5 years, I am all about not muscling a sled in the corners all day! I also agree with the crazy ski lift on the XF, I have rode the 06' XF 7 and owned the 07' XF 8, the only solution is to make an extra hole in the liminater strap about 3/4 in. from the tightest factory hole and put double 6" carbides or 8" with studs to keep the front down!

As for rider position I do think for the kids the new F cats will be nice because my kids can see over the handle bars on that compared to the XF! Of course yes the is not quite enough room for the long rides with a kid in front on the F!

Thanks alot Jay

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great report jaysond I also have both and rode the f all this season(about 1000 miles so far) and switched with the wife (her xfire) and I have to tell you I could not wait to get my sled back. Also if you have trouble with your shoulders you will love the adjustable seat and handle bars for longer trips. Just my 2 cents worth. :rockernana: Good luck with you choice.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great report jaysond I also have both and rode the f all this season(about 1000 miles so far) and switched with the wife (her xfire) and I have to tell you I could not wait to get my sled back. Also if you have trouble with your shoulders you will love the adjustable seat and handle bars for longer trips. Just my 2 cents worth. :rockernana: Good luck with you choice.[/b]
I really appreciate the intel guys I like to here this is a good move, I am going to make to the F8!

bsf7 what is the pro's you havee on the F cat or did jay sond cover that?

Thanks JR

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think it's it's an all around better trail sled, ride,comfort,light steering,next to no ski lift,and like I say changing your seat and handle bar position on a long ride switches it up for you so your not in the same position all day. way easier on the body.
Wind protection not as good but I installed a low windshied right away. We were out when it was -15C which is about 0F and I was OK. I also installed a 1 1/4 ripsaw, well worth the money I think.
All I can tell you after riding the xfire again for a short time I'm very happy with my F1000 and wouldn't go back.
P.S. the wife wants a F1000 now real bad after riding mine$$$$$$

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think it's it's an all around better trail sled, ride,comfort,light steering,next to no ski lift,and like I say changing your seat and handle bar position on a long ride switches it up for you so your not in the same position all day. way easier on the body.
Wind protection not as good but I installed a low windshied right away. We were out when it was -15C which is about 0F and I was OK. I also installed a 1 1/4 ripsaw, well worth the money I think.
All I can tell you after riding the xfire again for a short time I'm very happy with my F1000 and wouldn't go back.
P.S. the wife wants a F1000 now real bad after riding mine$$$$$$[/b]
the ladies have a knack for wanting to steal that f chassis from ya...thank goodness i don't have a 1000 tho lol, my girl wants the 8 cause i got one i need the 1000 to be faster! next year is going to be expensive....o well you only live once!

oh and juinorzr the 1.25 ripsaw was an option and which you should be able to work out with your dealer on 07's, it was an exchange program. 08 sno-pros come with 1.25 cobra track.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bsf I think you said it all in the first sentence with all the big ones rider position adjustability and trail ride and comfort wow! I think I am going to like it alot. Ride hard and keep up right since I cant. First time in nearly 20+ yrs of riding I finally wrecked one, and wow can you wreck the crossfire in a quick hurry!

Well if the wife wants the sled then i know for sure its the right one, since women know what they want!!! lol

kcat as for the exchange program i am going to check into that! Thanks for the intel!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Now you guys have me almost talked into getting an F for myself! The F6 is technically the Mrs' sled, although I can't stop messing with it...

juniorzr900, the two main things I would keep in mind when you go to deal on one is that you should try to work in a good deal on the track exchange for a 1.25" track (assuming you're not getting an '08 SnoPro which would already have it), and get a mid height windshield on order (assuming you're not getting an LXR which I believe would already have it). I ordered the windshield but failed to do the track exchange, which was a really stupid oversight on my part, now it's too late.

When the Crossfires came out, we were still in the "Firecat era" with the 13.5" x 128" tracks. The 136" x 15" Crossfire track is 18% larger than a Firecat track, which is quite significant and would seem to offer a noticeable improvement in deep snow performance.

Now, fast forward to the new F's, with a 15" x 128" track. All of a sudden, there is only a 6.25% increase in size from a new F to a Crossfire.

So, when deciding between the two, the extra "floatation" of the Crossfire suddenly becomes much less relevant. Has this made these two sleds almost redundant?

I should go out & measure the actual footprint on the floor, as opposed to using the overall track length, but I'm making the assumption that the % of each track's overall length that's on the ground is the same with each(?).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Would depend on the skid frame/skid setup i guess but more or less so you would think. I guess another advantage of the F series is the floating front arm which will allow full travel of the front skid shock, especially during acceleration, which can get rid of the bottoming out that occurs on firecats and sometimes xfires.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Would depend on the skid frame/skid setup i guess but more or less so you would think. I guess another advantage of the F series is the floating front arm which will allow full travel of the front skid shock, especially during acceleration, which can get rid of the bottoming out that occurs on firecats and sometimes xfires.[/b]
Exactly. The new generation, more sophisticated skid frame with the floating arm would be my primary motivation for switching sleds. Nearest I can tell while riding, the new skid really seems to operate freely and smoothly throughout it's entire range.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will look into the track exchange Jay! I am looking at the LXR too Jay so windshiled will be good! Ya May go SP though have found one at a good $ amount!!!

I think that the bottoming problem on the XF is terrible right away when I went on my first ride I bottomed it out! Can't wait to ride the F cat!

thanks Jay and bsf7 and kcat!

I have decide there is no reason the get the XF again!!

As for the foot print Jay Cat would still have the old Firecat chasis if it had the 15 in. track to start in 2003! But cat thinks they can just produce and people will just buy! lol

·
Registered
634 Posts
As for the foot print Jay Cat would still have the old Firecat chasis if it had the 15 in. track to start in 2003! But cat thinks they can just produce and people will just buy! lol[/b]
Yeah, looking back, that probably would have been the right move. A 15" wide Firecat, or better yet, a 128" track under a Crossfire, would have been the perfect link betwen the ZRs and the new Fs.

I chatted with a guy here who has all 3 versions of the '07 F6, and he said the standard and LXR were softer than the SP, but were not too soft, as he didn't have any bottoming problems with them. You'd probably be best off with a SP or LXR with the adjustability for your shoulder problems. Electric start might be nice?

A buddy of mine has a Crossfire 7 standard and he had to change his front skid shock spring and have the shock re-valved to stop it from bottoming out all the time. I would assume this has been fixed on the '08 standards? No problems on the Sno Pros. If you were to get an '06 or '07 you'd have to go through the tunnel stiffener project as well (have the dealer do it since Cat now makes their own stiffener).

On a side note, "someone other than me" tipped our F6 today & bent the handlebars (among other things :dead: ). Anybody know if the handgrips can be removed & re-used, or do they just get thrown away with the handlebars? Dammit! Guess I'm in the market for a mid height windshield again, or maybe I should put the low one back on again for the rest of the year to make a point? Thankfully she didn't get hurt, just shaken up a little. Fairly wide trail, flat as a pancake, no ruts, gradual 90 degree curve, mid-afternoon, no other traffic, no ice, and I was going fairly slow ahead of her so there was no rush (but she always lags behind instead of staying behind me and watching me and slowing down properly, so who knows what the hell). Says she has no idea what happened, doesn't know :wtf: I'm pissed. If it were on a steep bank or some other difficult situation I'd be totally understanding, but this had to be the most basic, simple, straightforward little curve I've ever gone around. Sorry for getting off topic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts