Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post up here and change things up from my solid 2 months of arguing with all of my fellow Yami's about what a joke this FX is out of the crate.
My buddy picked up an brand new 07 IQ 6 HO cfi for $6370 otd a few weeks ago and we have ridden together now 4 times so far this winter. At first he had major ski lift and high siding and hated it in the corners so I raised his limiter strap and BAM what an awesome frickin sled! Runs side by side with my FX Nytro on hard pack and is theeeee most comfortable sled I have ever ridden--period! On normal bumpy/rutty Michigan 2 tracks and beat groomed trails, I couldnt believe the shock performance either. Not sure how it would handle big G-outs or sno-cross wanna-bees, but for my riding it felt like a Cadillac on a pillow. Awseome little SCREAMIN 600 engine that runs flawless and gets decent mileage too. Top notch instrument gage and the left thumb controll to switch its display is titts!!! Most sleds take a few hours to get use to but this sled is like within 45 seconds Im right at home in the saddle. I dont care for the wierd handle bar end flare up bend but even that was no biggie.
All I can say is for $6370 otd and 1 limiter strap adjustment, Im fucking sick to stomach with my 10 grand Nytro that after 2 months of chatting, fighting and wrenching its just now a rideable trail sled at best.

Good job Poo and if they are still this good when mine is done depreciating in a couple years, I'll probably own my first Polaris.....

BTW, our group last weekend consisted of the my Nytro, the IQ, an 05 ZR 900, 05 F7 and an 05 REV 800 X powertek and EVERYONE was impressed with the IQ 6 not just me. Not to mention my one friend with the F7 hates (or hated) Polaris and I had to shame him into even sitting on it.

·
Banned
17,243 Posts
Good post.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just wanted to post up here and change things up from my solid 2 months of arguing with all of my fellow Yami's about what a joke this FX is out of the crate.
My buddy picked up an brand new 07 IQ 6 HO cfi for $6370 otd a few weeks ago and we have ridden together now 4 times so far this winter. At first he had major ski lift and high siding and hated it in the corners so I raised his limiter strap and BAM what an awesome frickin sled! Runs side by side with my FX Nytro on hard pack and is theeeee most comfortable sled I have ever ridden--period! On normal bumpy/rutty Michigan 2 tracks and beat groomed trails, I couldnt believe the shock performance either. Not sure how it would handle big G-outs or sno-cross wanna-bees, but for my riding it felt like a Cadillac on a pillow. Awseome little SCREAMIN 600 engine that runs flawless and gets decent mileage too. Top notch instrument gage and the left thumb controll to switch its display is titts!!! Most sleds take a few hours to get use to but this sled is like within 45 seconds Im right at home in the saddle. I dont care for the wierd handle bar end flare up bend but even that was no biggie.
All I can say is for $6370 otd and 1 limiter strap adjustment, Im fucking sick to stomach with my 10 grand Nytro that after 2 months of chatting, fighting and wrenching its just now a rideable trail sled at best.

Good job Poo and if they are still this good when mine is done depreciating in a couple years, I'll probably own my first Polaris.....

BTW, our group last weekend consisted of the my Nytro, the IQ, an 05 ZR 900, 05 F7 and an 05 REV 800 X powertek and EVERYONE was impressed with the IQ 6 not just me. Not to mention my one friend with the F7 hates (or hated) Polaris and I had to shame him into even sitting on it.[/b]
It's amazing how some brand loyals will deficate on POLARIS and when they ride them, they love them. I rode a NYTRO at the Adirondack shoot out and was pretty impressed, I normaly eat, sleep and bleed 2-stroke, But could see it in my corral. What were your issues with it? Only thing I didn't like were the handle bars but was impressed with it's nuts. But then again, I only rode for 30-45 minutes.

·
Banned
17,243 Posts
I put the 08 bars and riser on mine. It just feels right now when I corner.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I love the feel of mine top to bottom. Beats any 600 out their as of right now and will keep up if not beat some 700's. They can take some whoops too.

The sled rips i am very pleased

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
My best freind and riding buddy (like a brother) sold his family Polaris dealership 2 years back. He is now a service manager for a good size Yamaha dealer. He is still Polaris loyal as he has his 02 800 XCR and a 03 800 XCR still in a crate. I was given a few Yamaha's the other day to test ride and next day take my pick on a 160 mile ride.

The Nytro FX was my first pick as the idea of a lighter but still powerfull 4 stroke appealed to me. The way the sled was set up I found it hard on my wrists and awkward/unstable when turning on rougher trails- it felt real heavy and was not for me. I rode a 40th Apex GT which felt light and was very impressive on the trails. I love the fit and finish, the gauges and the sound and perhaps mostly the 4 stroke reliability feeling. We took the Apex on our big ride and it worked well, unfortunately it was the only sled unable to cross a water/mud hole and sank up to it's windshield. After blowing our guts out we realized how flippin heavy the sled was.

I have ridden the IQ and loved it but have been nervous about the CFI and the small block design of 700 and 800.

My conclusion is the 600 IQ is the best sled going for ride, reliability and value. I have always bought for the biggest and fastest but I will be buying a 600 IQ for the reasons my wife would- common sense.

PS: unchained hit nail on the head- the IQ felt right almost instantly for me, like I had ridden it for years.

Thinksno

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Similar troubles getting used to the '07 Apex RTX (with torsion springs - not the mono) I bought late last winter. Lots of questions and messing around, and now with almost 1000 miles on it, seems like I'm starting to enjoy the ride and handling (think STIFF but supple, kinda like ProX) as well as the engine and powertrain. I do have to admit it's my first rider forward, and 4 stroke. There is darn sure a learning curve involved with both - no matter your prior experience level - a humbling experience for this old timer anyway. All those years to date didn't mean squat. Now catching myself grinning on occasion as I had imagined I might on my first ride.........

I also bought an 07 600 IQ carb for the lady friend, or more correctly, both of us (after she accidently let me on it). I fell in love with this thing on the first ride - and she's been sharing it since! I was blown away with the pep this sled has on the trails - honestly very similar to the 800's I've been running the last few years. The stuff you have to learn the hard way....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was looking at the apex rtx and the nytro, And the fact i Owned a yamaha dealership for 5 years i keep looking at them and still have not pulled the trigger, I thought i would like the new nytro but my knees hit a lot. I think i could correct it with a riser and pull the bars back. But i decided to ride my 06 dragon but in 660 form and give it another year.
I love the way the IQ's work. I had a 800 dragon 121 bought, We all know what happened to them.
Who knows what is to happen next year.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I looked at a Nytro in a showroom this morning just to see what one looks like in person. The Nytro looks great.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
It's amazing how some brand loyals will deficate on POLARIS and when they ride them, they love them. I rode a NYTRO at the Adirondack shoot out and was pretty impressed, I normaly eat, sleep and bleed 2-stroke, But could see it in my corral. What were your issues with it? Only thing I didn't like were the handle bars but was impressed with it's nuts. But then again, I only rode for 30-45 minutes.[/b]
It goes with all brands, it is truley hard to comprehend that some people will go to such lengths to convince themselves that brand 'x' is totally junk. All 4 brands are getting better every year at a amazing rate, I personally find it hard to fathom that such a small industry continually manages to make leaps and bounds in technology.

Compare this to say the auto industry. The spend billions in R and D and when was the last time you drove a 5, or even 10 year old vehicle and found it to be so out dated you couldn't hardly stand to drive it...they really have not changed that much.

Seems like Poo is on the comeback trail, competition is good for all.
I know for sure if I did not ride a Doo, it would be a new Polaris.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After the Fusion 900 mess and the HUGE success of the REV's, Yami 4 strokes and the almighty F7, I thought Poo was dead especially with this "traditional" chassis.

My Nytro will be awesome when Im done with it, but overall my point for posting was that we did a 20 min limiter strap adjustment and an entire group of various sled brand owners ALL unaminously agreed that "little" 600 IQ was a blast to ride--not to mention it pulls on top end like a pumped 600 with twin pipes.....
Peace guys!

36 Posts
I love the topic, the yamis are great sleds tho. Talk about reliability. I road the FX and i feel the same way as everyone els. Sure it's an amazing sled, but i'd take my dragon over it anyday.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have heard the same response around our area also from guys that eat sleep and shit green,you could never get a positive comment out of these guys about a polaris if you bagged them,but last year there mouths dropped when they seen my brothers dragon in action,they couldn't believe it was a 700,and they couldn't keep up to that dragon on the trails!I feel the IQ's are a throw back to what originally made polaris #1

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Rode my Dragon RMK with my bud on his CF7 last weekend. Even with mountain gearing and the long track, we both agreed, the RMK handled just as well on the trails and had more power. My friend bleeds green but he admitted he would be very happy on an IQ chassis. Oh, and I got 1.5 MPG better than he did too, even with the low gearing and monster track. :)

Haven't ridden a Nytro yet but it seems guys are not liking their trail handling much.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rode my Dragon RMK with my bud on his CF7 last weekend. Even with mountain gearing and the long track, we both agreed, the RMK handled just as well on the trails and had more power. My friend bleeds green but he admitted he would be very happy on an IQ chassis. Oh, and I got 1.5 MPG better than he did too, even with the low gearing and monster track. :)

Haven't ridden a Nytro yet but it seems guys are not liking their trail handling much.[/b]
Yeah, MOST of us are or were not happy with the chassis "set-up". At first IMO the sled was unrideable. Now after about 250 hours on TY.com and HCS, several hundred dollars, several hours out in my barn and NOW ultimatley a severely fractured ankle, Im finally getting it to where I thought it would be when I ordered it.

I didnt start this thread to piss off the Yamaha mafia by anymeans, just felt like giving the "devil" their dues and possibly even get my foot in the door over here just in case I come join you in the future :kissass:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts