Hardcore Sledder banner

07 F8 First Ride Impressions

652 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  weismuller 
#1 ·
Picked up my new 07 F8 LXR last weekend and put about 300 miles on. Lots of snow and groomed trails but generally loose conditions.

Ride is most impressive. Couple ungroomed trails where everyone in my group tried the F and all got off and said the same thing "WOW" cant belive how nice the ride is and the stand up option is worth its weight in gold. I actaully got on my old F7 (buddy now owns) and couldn't believe how rough the trail was and the fact that I used to think the F7 had a good ride.

Handling was another story. I had dealer put on an 1 1/4" Ripsaw with 150ish studs and 10" carbides. Pushed horrible in the corners or when it did hook up, it wanted to roll. Lots of ski lift. This was with the seat in the highest position. Last day I dropped the seat all the way down and this made quite a differance. By simply being able to better shift my body weight the sled was much more responsive but this was still an issue for me. I think pulling the limiter strap up about an inch and loosening the front shocks a bit will make a differance. Am going to try this next week. Love the way the 1 /14" hooks up on packed snow conditions.

Performance was OK but not outstanding. 1200' plowed ice run against a stock 04 we where about even or me just a bit ahead. Raced my old 04 F7 which has been geared up, V-force, timing key, high flow intake, bikeman clutch and a 1" track that hooks like hell with 1.5" studs. Buddy gets me about 3 to 4 sleds off the start. At about 800' or 75 to 80 mph, seems I would reel him in to about 2 sleds then we were even or he might even gain a sled again. I really dont care about top speed just want to get to 80mph quick. Dealer has a D&D clutch kit with the shift assist set aside for me next weekend. I'm hoping this will help me out of the hole a bit better. I will say the 1 1/4" with 1.375 studs hooked up ok but did break loose a couple times out of the hole. Dealer also says I need the stock 08 gearing and the stock 08 or speedworks air intake. Also had a chance to play in some large fields with atleast 3'-0" of snow. Sled feels a bit heavy and takes a bit more work than my old F7 to get up on top of the snow but fun once on top. Seemed to get boggy on the low end but once the RPMs where up, it was good. Hope the 08 gearing doesnt make this worse. Also didn't like how the snow and ice built up around the fuel tank cap. Go to pop it open and all drops in tank and its not easy to get it out from around the cap before you open it.

Overall I was pretty happy. Wish it had a bit more snap but mid range was arm straightening and I'm thinking I can make this better with not alot of $$. Best part was while everyone else was complaining of being sore, I never felt a thing. Turned 40 this weekend and maybe just getting old but I think I'll sacrifice a little speed for what I think is the best ride around. If I get the pushing under control, I think it will definatley be the best sled I've ever owned for $6700

Any thoughts on the D&D clutch kit or air intake mods? Dealer is still say to wait on the Y-pipe until the ECU update to make sure there is no lean spots.

JMO

See less See more
#2 ·
good review! since i studded mine, the ski lift in the corner is crazy. looks like some warm weather on the way, so i will get a chance to play with the straps. keep us updated on how your sled stacks up against your old one once you get that clutch kit and shift assist please!!

#3 ·
Picked up my new 07 F8 LXR last weekend and put about 300 miles on. Lots of snow and groomed trails but generally loose conditions.

Ride is most impressive. Couple ungroomed trails where everyone in my group tried the F and all got off and said the same thing "WOW" cant belive how nice the ride is and the stand up option is worth its weight in gold. I actaully got on my old F7 (buddy now owns) and couldn't believe how rough the trail was and the fact that I used to think the F7 had a good ride.

Handling was another story. I had dealer put on an 1 1/4" Ripsaw with 150ish studs and 10" carbides. Pushed horrible in the corners or when it did hook up, it wanted to roll. Lots of ski lift. This was with the seat in the highest position. Last day I dropped the seat all the way down and this made quite a differance. By simply being able to better shift my body weight the sled was much more responsive but this was still an issue for me. I think pulling the limiter strap up about an inch and loosening the front shocks a bit will make a differance. Am going to try this next week. Love the way the 1 /14" hooks up on packed snow conditions.

Performance was OK but not outstanding. 1200' plowed ice run against a stock 04 we where about even or me just a bit ahead. Raced my old 04 F7 which has been geared up, V-force, timing key, high flow intake, bikeman clutch and a 1" track that hooks like hell with 1.5" studs. Buddy gets me about 3 to 4 sleds off the start. At about 800' or 75 to 80 mph, seems I would reel him in to about 2 sleds then we were even or he might even gain a sled again. I really dont care about top speed just want to get to 80mph quick. Dealer has a D&D clutch kit with the shift assist set aside for me next weekend. I'm hoping this will help me out of the hole a bit better. I will say the 1 1/4" with 1.375 studs hooked up ok but did break loose a couple times out of the hole. Dealer also says I need the stock 08 gearing and the stock 08 or speedworks air intake. Also had a chance to play in some large fields with atleast 3'-0" of snow. Sled feels a bit heavy and takes a bit more work than my old F7 to get up on top of the snow but fun once on top. Seemed to get boggy on the low end but once the RPMs where up, it was good. Hope the 08 gearing doesnt make this worse. Also didn't like how the snow and ice built up around the fuel tank cap. Go to pop it open and all drops in tank and its not easy to get it out from around the cap before you open it.

Overall I was pretty happy. Wish it had a bit more snap but mid range was arm straightening and I'm thinking I can make this better with not alot of $$. Best part was while everyone else was complaining of being sore, I never felt a thing. Turned 40 this weekend and maybe just getting old but I think I'll sacrifice a little speed for what I think is the best ride around. If I get the pushing under control, I think it will definatley be the best sled I've ever owned for $6700

Any thoughts on the D&D clutch kit or air intake mods? Dealer is still say to wait on the Y-pipe until the ECU update to make sure there is no lean spots.

JMO[/b]
I totally agree about the seat thing. When I got the new Jag I put the seat in the all the way up position and I couldn't corner worth a shit, I thought there was something wrong with it compared to my '07. I was deeply concerned about it until I put it all the way to the bottom, then it was back to the handling and cornering that I loved on my '07.

I think the seat up will be sweet when I'm ditch banging but for trail riding, all the way down is the way I prefer by a long shot!

I really couldn't believe how much that seat position effects the handling of the sled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.