Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I am a pretty smart guy but I am the first to admit I know very little about engines, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I do not know about combustion, fuel octane, timing, etc..

So, I have an 07 Dragon and I have had similar problems as all of you. The only difference with my sled compared to many is that I have only fouled 3 plugs in 1400 miles and get 12 MPG pretty consistantly. I have had all the updates done this year and have put on about 200 miles since. My sled has run pretty much the same as last year since the reflash and T-stat change. I am not a top speed guy anymore but last year I had 102 MPH on short section of ice. The sled is strong in the trails/corner to corner.

This weekend I went for a 40 mile ride and outdoor temp was about 20 degrees F on Friday night. The sled had a hesitation at speeds of 30-45 MPH then whacking the throttle. Keep in mind this has been my biggest complaint since I got the sled. I ran 93 octane on this ride.

I went riding again on Saturday and the temps were about 30 but I put about 4-5 gallons of 87 octane in the sled. Now the sled has about half 87 octane and half 93 octane. Sled ran the balls and all day the hesitation was almost non-existant at any speed and RPMs.

I read a post on here about another Dragon owner reporting the same thing but once he hit 100 MPH his motor would cut out. Sounds like it was detonating. I did not do any high speed runs but had it up to 80 and 90 on some roads with no sign of the DET light.

If anyone knows why the hesitation almost disappears with the combination of 87 and 93 octane I would love to know. Also neither fuel had MTBE in it.

·
Banned
17,243 Posts
I think that I am a pretty smart guy but I am the first to admit I know very little about engines, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I do not know about combustion, fuel octane, timing, etc..

So, I have an 07 Dragon and I have had similar problems as all of you. The only difference with my sled compared to many is that I have only fouled 3 plugs in 1400 miles and get 12 MPG pretty consistantly. I have had all the updates done this year and have put on about 200 miles since. My sled has run pretty much the same as last year since the reflash and T-stat change. I am not a top speed guy anymore but last year I had 102 MPH on short section of ice. The sled is strong in the trails/corner to corner.

This weekend I went for a 40 mile ride and outdoor temp was about 20 degrees F on Friday night. The sled had a hesitation at speeds of 30-45 MPH then whacking the throttle. Keep in mind this has been my biggest complaint since I got the sled. I ran 93 octane on this ride.

I went riding again on Saturday and the temps were about 30 but I put about 4-5 gallons of 87 octane in the sled. Now the sled has about half 87 octane and half 93 octane. Sled ran the balls and all day the hesitation was almost non-existant at any speed and RPMs.

I read a post on here about another Dragon owner reporting the same thing but once he hit 100 MPH his motor would cut out. Sounds like it was detonating. I did not do any high speed runs but had it up to 80 and 90 on some roads with no sign of the DET light.

If anyone knows why the hesitation almost disappears with the combination of 87 and 93 octane I would love to know. Also neither fuel had MTBE in it.[/b]
That could have been mine that you are talking about. I also am running 87 at times and 89 octane which did not make any difference when it is cold outside, have not found the fine line where it runs well and does not run well. Your Dragon 's DET light probably will not go on as it does not have a DET light on it. Higher octane burns slower and lower octane burns faster. I could be wrong on this but here goes. If your heads have high compression you will need 91 or 93 octane fuel as it burns slower and will not cause detonation. Higher octane fuel will not burn fast enough in lower compression engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts