Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...i need an honest opion from you guys...i want to buy the new xf 800 sno-pro i demo rode it and loved it, but at $10,500 its steep...i have the opurtunity to buy a '06 xf 700 for $6,700 no reverse no electric start still in the box!...my question is should i bite the bullett and go w/ the '08 or get a deal and put the extra money in the sled in the off season...were there any issues w/ the 06 xf model or w/ the 700 motor......and will any idea if any big changes in the '09 xf?...thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Look around, you can probably do better on a 06 XF7. I just bought mine for $5499 ($5950 otd) at 61 Marine in MN. I thought I saw a guy on the east coast running a similar deal (may have been $5999), Houghton or something like that...

With the 08 XF8 you get reverse, you pick up 2 Hp over the 06 but at a penalty of almost 40 lbs.

Their are a lot of posts/threads here and on Arcticchat.com that talk about the issues with both sleds, majority around Tunnel Supports on the 06 and ECU mapping issues on the 08. Both have known fixes. Also their are a lot of basic mods that everyone seems to be doing for general better performance on upshift and backshift.

IMO, after riding mine for only 180 miles, I really like the 06. I am getting the tunnel supports more out of a sense of security. I haven't had a lot of time to see how the upshift and backshift compare to my old ride (99 ZRT600), heck I am still very much in the break-in period. Having said all that, unless you really, really want reverse, I can't see paying a $4k to $5k premium. Again just my humble opinion

·
Registered
90 Posts
ok...i need an honest opion from you guys...i want to buy the new xf 800 sno-pro i demo rode it and loved it, but at $10,500 its steep...i have the opurtunity to buy a '06 xf 700 for $6,700 no reverse no electric start still in the box!...my question is should i bite the bullett and go w/ the '08 or get a deal and put the extra money in the sled in the off season...were there any issues w/ the 06 xf model or w/ the 700 motor......and will any idea if any big changes in the '09 xf?...thanks[/b]
There are better deals out there on the '06 XF 700's. I own one that is classified as an Early Build (EB), not sure of all the differences between an '06 EB and a regular '06, other than a couple of things to look for to identify an EB, but I love it. I allowed two friends to get some seat time and both were riding XF's by the end of last season, and I had purchased my second one, an '07 XF 1000 SP. While I like the 1000, I think I would have been just as content with another 700, but I couldn't pass up the deal they were offering last spring.

Great power on the 700, excellent torque,... the added length, width, and lug height of stock tracks (compared to Firecat models) really makes these sleds hook-up. I have not picked either track on my XF's and don't intend to. They suite my riding style and conditions in stock form.

06's had recalls for a steering issue, make sure that's rectified prior to leaving the showroom.

My 700 has quite a fuel appetite,.... moreso than the '06 F5, and the '07 XF 1000. Anybody else notice higher fuel consumption on the 700's?

About 2300 miles and counting on the '06 XF 700 with no problems. Have always used the Arctic Cat APV, and made the switch to the synthetic APV when they put it on the shelves.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought an 06 700 from RV Sports in Thief River Falls, MN for $5799. I've only put 200 mi. on so far but I love it. I also know a guy who just bought an 08 800. Personally I like the looks of the 08 better but I don't think that I would be willing to spend the extra cash for not much other than looks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is the sled your looking at a sno pro. Cause if it is thats not a bad deal. You might be able to do better on a non sno pro but for 6700 for a brand new sno pro that ain't bad. Do shop around cause there are a lot of 06 leftovers out there. Overall its a good sled not as good on gas as the new 800 but its almost as fast and is a proven motor. If you really want reverse pay that extra money. But remember how much these sleds depreciate. I bought mine for just under 9000 that year and I don't wanna think about what its worth now. No regrets though as its a great sled.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is the sled your looking at a sno pro. Cause if it is thats not a bad deal. You might be able to do better on a non sno pro but for 6700 for a brand new sno pro that ain't bad. Do shop around cause there are a lot of 06 leftovers out there. Overall its a good sled not as good on gas as the new 800 but its almost as fast and is a proven motor. If you really want reverse pay that extra money. But remember how much these sleds depreciate. I bought mine for just under 9000 that year and I don't wanna think about what its worth now. No regrets though as its a great sled.[/b]
If anyone is interested in the current retail or trade value of their sled, or something they're considering to purchase, they can go to Kelley Blue Book - Snowmobiles

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/Snowmobiles/Default.aspx

Retail Value on an '06 XF 700 is $ 5710, and $6070 for the XF 700 SP

You're spot on,..... they're are plenty of left overs out there for those willing to shop around. Great point on the SP! Wish my '06 was an SP like my '07. Definitely a difference in the ride quality.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
ok...i need an honest opion from you guys...i want to buy the new xf 800 sno-pro i demo rode it and loved it, but at $10,500 its steep...i have the opurtunity to buy a '06 xf 700 for $6,700 no reverse no electric start still in the box!...my question is should i bite the bullett and go w/ the '08 or get a deal and put the extra money in the sled in the off season...were there any issues w/ the 06 xf model or w/ the 700 motor......and will any idea if any big changes in the '09 xf?...thanks[/b]
If Std it seems high..but they may becoming rare out of the crate so the price could be justified. I picked one up, same dealer as Hawkeye for $5499 + tax in Mn. This was on Dec 27.

May want to check Ebay etc.

·
Banned
3,219 Posts
05 M6 EFI 141" Green -$4999
06 CF700 EFI Black -$6299
06 CF700 EFI Sno Pro Green -$6999
06 CF600 EFI Orange -$5499
06CF 600 EFI Sno Pro Orange or Black -$5999

Those are out the door prices since you are a HCS member and are not a Maine resident.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Shop around some more...Bought my '06 Black XF7 SP with 229 miles for $5,750 last July. :rockernana:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I vote x-fire 700, don't pay more than 6k though, the dealership here has a brand new one for 6k here...

I did a in-line fuel reducer on my 06 x-fire 700 and that made a world of difference, and I only did a 300 jet in it, most do 290, but I felt like being safe...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts