Hardcore Sledder banner

06 Spindle swap to 05

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  LUBA 
#1 ·
I still cannot get an answer out of Polaris ... nor can my dealer. I think they will fit the '05's but if any of you with an '06 who try the swap let me know ASAP

Thanks
Jeff

#5 ·
Have any of you that replied actually tried it or is this all what has been said to you from another source. Also Polaris cannot be trusted here because they would want the money for new A-Arms .... even if it didn't need them.

Jeff

#6 ·
Originally posted by liquidfast@Sep 19 2005, 01:20 PM
Have any of you that replied actually tried it or is this all what has been said to you from another source. Also Polaris cannot be trusted here because they would want the money for new A-Arms .... even if it didn't need them.

Jeff
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=881913
[/quote]
Who, CAN be trusted?

If they wanted the money, they would make it harder to bolt on, to force you to buy a 2006.

If you look at the A-Arms you can see the difference in where the spindle mounting points are.

#7 ·
Does anyone know the cost of the 06 spindles and a-arms? The change in caster on the 06 should help in tight twisty trails. I would give up a little high speed straight away stabilty on my 05 for this added benefit( as you all know SLP skis have helped the Fusion turn but not enough). Also does anyone know the measurement difference in the track cross shaft chassis holes on the 06 compared to the 05?

#8 ·
5248794 SWAY BAR
7518428 UCA ROD END BOLT (2)
7518478 LCA SPHERICAL BEARING BOLT (2)
7547180 NUT (2)
7547626 NUT (2)
7556153 WASHER(UNDER HEAD OF 7518478BOLT)(2)
1822795 SPINDLE
1822796 SPINDLE
1822697 LOWER CONTROL ARM
1822698 LOWER CONTROL ARM
1822701 UPPER CONTROL ARM
1822702 UPPER CONTROL ARM
THESE ARE THE PARTS TO CONVERT TO THE 06 FRONT END.

#9 ·
trail5sledder.

I'm glad to see you paid attention at Snowmobile Infield!

#10 ·
I have made the change on my 05 Fusion. The parts list that trail5sledder posted is correct except the part numbers for the control arms did not work at my dealer. I bought the arms as 'kits' with all of the various parts included these have a different number.

There was another post on this subject where it was suggested that the 05 and 06 upper control arms are the same. This is not the case, the 06 upper control arm moves the top spindle mount forward compared to the the 05. The same can be said for the sway bar, they are very close but the 06 is about 1/2" longer on both ends.

I made the change for 2 reasons...

I folded up the right side twice last year when the spinlde (not the ski) hooked something on the side of the trail. The 05 spindle sticks out flush with the edge of the ski and is a hazard. This is the only sled on the planet with such a design.

The 05 is going to be an orphan with all of the newer sleds having the 06 style front end. It will be much more likely that a dealer will have the 06 style parts in stock in the future. If I break it again, at least I will have a chance of finding parts someplace far from home. 05 parts will likely need to be ordered.

What I paid....

Control arms... $110 ea
Spindles... $140 ea

If you do this you will need the longer bolts as listed..... they are a couple of bucks each... should have bought them at the hardware store.

I don't have an invoice for the sway bar.

One more thing....

On another post someone suggested that the new spindles are taller and this is why Polaris moved the skid down. I measured the 05 and 06 spindles side by side. The lower ball joint mount on the 06 is maybe 3/8" higher from the ski pivot than on the 05. With suspension sag and various rider weights this does not seem to be signicant.

Hope this is helpful for anyone considering this swap.

#11 ·
I have seen w/ own eyes swap done with the o6 spindles on 05 w/ longer bolts.
w/ shocks off compressed suspension, no rubbing, so it is possible. Polaris just want's you to fork over the cash for 06 arms.
W/ the problems the 05 spindles have,polaris should be swapping out to 06 front end under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.