Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new 06 rtx I have 0 miles, sitting in the garage haven't had a chance to ride it yet..I ve been reading these forums and I get a little worried about some things I hear... bent a arms, some chain case problems hand warmers...but the power and ride are great. Talked with dealer and the parts are suppose to be the same as the 07 rtx except rear suspension maybe gearing.. Should I be conerned..please advise, I love the look and sound but don't want major problems, anyone have a lot of miles on stock 06 rtx with no problems or upgrades??? :dunno:

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I just got my new 06 rtx I have 0 miles, sitting in the garage haven't had a chance to ride it yet..I ve been reading these forums and I get a little worried about some things I hear... bent a arms, some chain case problems hand warmers...but the power and ride are great. Talked with dealer and the parts are suppose to be the same as the 07 rtx except rear suspension maybe gearing.. Should I be conerned..please advise, I love the look and sound but don't want major problems, anyone have a lot of miles on stock 06 rtx with no problems or upgrades??? :dunno:[/b]
chaincase problems happen but are rare. watch for leaks. if it doesnt leak, then its fine. a-arms get bent from hitting stuff. i bottomed the crap out of my attak a couple times jumping it like i shouldnt have. nothing bent or broke. ride it. nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just got my new 06 rtx I have 0 miles, sitting in the garage haven't had a chance to ride it yet..I ve been reading these forums and I get a little worried about some things I hear... bent a arms, some chain case problems hand warmers...but the power and ride are great. Talked with dealer and the parts are suppose to be the same as the 07 rtx except rear suspension maybe gearing.. Should I be conerned..please advise, I love the look and sound but don't want major problems, anyone have a lot of miles on stock 06 rtx with no problems or upgrades??? :dunno:[/b]
You definitly need the handwarmer upgrade which should cost 29.99$ installed and my dealer changed the six wheels in suspension which was fully covered. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Bar upgrade, Polaris or Doo idler wheels, SLP wear pads '07 snowflap, Bergstrom skegs with shims (for darting) and all will be good Also pull your dipstick and cut a SMALL channel between the factory channel cutouts allready molded in the rubber and that will alow the chaincase to vent properly. This is why some people had problems, (prolong high speeds, lots of pressure in the case). Run a loose track, 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of sag, then adjust tighter if it ratchets. The factory spec is way too tight. With this and wear pads, hyfax will last a long time. Stock idlers suck. Poo and Doo wheels fit right on, ( 5 3/8" with 6205 bearings) pop out the plastic insert.

There are lots of little things you can do, but that will take care of the issues. Runn 55psi in the front shocks and run the rear shock up close tomax preload (the spring is soft). If you weigh more than 200, get a big boy rear spring.

2,329 Posts
Bar upgrade, Polaris or Doo idler wheels, SLP wear pads '07 snowflap, Bergstrom skegs with shims (for darting) and all will be good Also pull your dipstick and cut a SMALL channel between the factory channel cutouts allready molded in the rubber and that will alow the chaincase to vent properly. This is why some people had problems, (prolong high speeds, lots of pressure in the case). Run a loose track, 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of sag, then adjust tighter if it ratchets. The factory spec is way too tight. With this and wear pads, hyfax will last a long time. Stock idlers suck. Poo and Doo wheels fit right on, ( 5 3/8" with 6205 bearings) pop out the plastic insert.

There are lots of little things you can do, but that will take care of the issues. Runn 55psi in the front shocks and run the rear shock up close tomax preload (the spring is soft). If you weigh more than 200, get a big boy rear spring.[/b]
this is the first time i've heard about the chain case prob? any pics on how & where to cut?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Thanks for the information. I'm in the same situation as Tripleboy. I bought an '06 RTX ER last spring. I've owned the Sled almost 9 months and don't have any miles on it yet. (other than the 4 km's around the house before the couple inches of snow melted)...

The dealer changed the idler wheels before I got the machine. He also added the rear spring. I have changed the bars. They work great sitting on a Stand in my garage in plus temperatures.....

The "big boy rear Spring" that was mentioned. Is this a part from Yamaha. The Dealer change the spring but I'm exactly sure what it was changed to. Anybody have a part number for the heavier spring? Just for curiosity more than anything...

We need some snow!!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
ride it before tossing a pile of money into parts you probably wont need. all my original wheels are still perfect and i rode mile after mile of logging roads at high speed last march with no snow, just dirt and mud.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got some miles on my Apex ER over the weekend and this is what i have found.

20 miles in the two inside idler wheels were shot,
Sled overheated 3 times on me
After 225 miles logged on the slides are now junk
Handwarmers suck
Its to loud at cruising speeds.
Darts like my 05 Rev did.

Other than that i love this sled, Motor is unbelievable. Plain and simple kills my brothers 04 F7 and my buds 06 800 Rev. Opened it up on the lake and saw 114 out of it with only 100 miles on it. Ride is smooth and rear suspension is so easy to adjust. I was alittle leary about the dial actually working but it does. Milage is good, averaged between 15 and 17 mpg all weekend, better than anybody in our group. And my favorite thing about the sled is get in a foot of snow, stand up, gun it, pull back and hang on, this thing wheelies something fierce. I love it !!!!!

Overall the Apex is an amazing snowmobile i will never ride a 2 stroke again. This thing makes gobs of torque, simply have to ride it to experience it. Dropped it off at the dealer on monday to have new wheels and slides replaced under warranty and there gonna check the coolant system to see if theres any problems, i'm guessing it was shipped with 100 percent antifreeze in it. I can live with the darting and i'm working on the sound thing. New bars should be here by the end of the week so that should fix the handwarmer problem. All in all i don't miss my rev at all.

Oh and weight, never felt heavy to me even after 225 miles of some bumpy ass trails.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Handwarmers suck

Other than that i love this sled, Motor is unbelievable. Plain and simple kills my brothers 04 F7 and my buds 06 800 Rev. Opened it up on the lake and saw 114 out of it with only 100 miles on it. Ride is smooth and rear suspension is so easy to adjust. I was alittle leary about the dial actually working but it does. Milage is good, averaged between 15 and 17 mpg all weekend, better than anybody in our group. And my favorite thing about the sled is get in a foot of snow, stand up, gun it, pull back and hang on, this thing wheelies something fierce. I love it !!!!!

Overall the Apex is an amazing snowmobile i will never ride a 2 stroke again. This thing makes gobs of torque, simply have to ride it to experience it. Dropped it off at the dealer on monday to have new wheels and slides replaced under warranty and there gonna check the coolant system to see if theres any problems, i'm guessing it was shipped with 100 percent antifreeze in it. I can live with the darting and i'm working on the sound thing. New bars should be here by the end of the week so that should fix the handwarmer problem. All in all i don't miss my rev at all.

Oh and weight, never felt heavy to me even after 225 miles of some bumpy ass trails.[/b]
Your sliders are shot because you lost the rubber on your wheels. The diameter of the wheels is much less and does not hold the track off of the sliders. They will wear really quickly again and then stay there for quite a while. If you take some antifreeze out and add some water, the heat light will never come on again.

2,329 Posts

Handwarmers suck

Oh and weight, never felt heavy to me even after 225 miles of some bumpy ass trails.[/b]
I'm actually surprized your dealer didnt address those problems before you bought it?, have them put in the o5 rx1 wheels on your sled,make sure track is loose(yamaha specs are to tight)add a rear heat exchanger(inexpensive) handle bar warmers are a semi warratee claim, my new bars cost me 30.00 installed . adjust your ski's with shims & or play with the front shock pressure . good luck. once you get the bugs worked out you'll love it :div20:

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts

Handwarmers suck

Other than that i love this sled, ...............the darting ........Oh and weight, never felt heavy to me even after 225 miles of some bumpy ass trails.[/b]
http://www.bergstromskegs.com/wr/wr_main.htm

My BroIn Law installed the tripedge/skin savers /shims on APEX07 Gt......like another sled. You wonder what Yamaha was thinking when they set up the front end /sterring , (they surely didnt neglect the rear susp.), after 1 mile w/ the bergstrom upgrades..
150 bucks w. delivery!
BEST $ and time for this sled.
I have them on MY zr9 and cant talk about them enuf.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input, waiting on bar upgrades I guess they are on back order, dealer up dated my idler wheels will see how that works, We test rode an rtx last year in Houghton and it did dart like crazy, I will check into shimming.
Will check the other things..Planning trip soon thanks..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Love mine, not a single issue with it in 1600 miles.

shimming the skies can do wonders, however, i just played around with the suspension setup for how i ride and my darting problems have been cut in half. It now darts no more, no less then any sled i ride with.

no chaincase issues, no idler wheel issues and still have the same hyfax on at 1600 miles. It's all in the set up. You may want to loosen your track slightly. Factory spec is WAY too tight.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm actually surprized your dealer didnt address those problems before you bought it?, have them put in the o5 rx1 wheels on your sled,make sure track is loose(yamaha specs are to tight)add a rear heat exchanger(inexpensive) handle bar warmers are a semi warratee claim, my new bars cost me 30.00 installed . adjust your ski's with shims & or play with the front shock pressure . good luck. once you get the bugs worked out you'll love it :div20:[/b]
I'm surprized too, when i bought it they assured me that all the upgrades were done. I talked to them on the phone today and they said 3 wheels were shot and will install a better quality wheel. I asked them to change all the wheels out and they said they can't do that. But they will replace the slides for free. I asked about installing the bars for me and he wanted a $40 installation fee on top of the $29.99 for the bars. So i told him i would do it myself. He said the coolant system looked fine so i'll probaly be ordering up the rear cooler.

Just gotta work the bugs out like anything else.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
How do you like your apex compared to your cats?I want a yammi but am waiting on a bigger engine.Will ride my modded 900 fusion till then.[/b]
I really like my ZR, which is why I went back to one after having the F7, but this Apex just suits for the riding we do. You really need to try one...nothing against your Fusion, but you won't be on it any longer...the Apex just feels that good!!!

I don't quite have it handling like my ZR, but I only had a couple rides on it at the end of last season, so there wasn't much time for adjustment. And not much handles like a ZR anyway!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts