Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper way to adjust belt deflection on the secondary clutch with the new 10.4 secondary. I see they give you a tool that fits inside the adjuster, but is it as simple as just rotating the adjuster right or left or do you need to remove it and take out the washers behind it? Any advice would be appreciated! Also where should the belt sit in the secondary? Just flush with the top or slighty above for best performance?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You need to remove the bolt holding the aluminum end cap on if it is an 07 otherwise rotate the plastic piece clockwise if it is an 06. counterclockwise for 05. This will loosen it so you can perform the next step.
You will find shims and an o-ring. remove the o-ring and select the thickness of shim/s needed to add or remove depending on your situation. You need to remove the selected thickness of shim/s to gain for more belt deflection. Add correct thickness of shim/s to reduce belt deflection. Correct deflection is 1.250" useing a straight edge resting on top of belt spanning both clutches. Push down on belt until belt near belly pan raises up to a straight line. This is a bit tricky to tell how hard to push down on top of belt if you are unsure of your own ability. I think 1.250" is too much and set mine by raising the track off the ground. Run the motor at idle, if the secondary or track just starts to move then the deflection is just right. Probably more like an 1" to 1.125" deflection. This will make for a lower engine rpm engagement. Some might argue that it will rub too much on the belt but only if the belt to sheave clearance is too small.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is the proper way to adjust belt deflection on the secondary clutch with the new 10.4 secondary. I see they give you a tool that fits inside the adjuster, but is it as simple as just rotating the adjuster right or left or do you need to remove it and take out the washers behind it? Any advice would be appreciated! Also where should the belt sit in the secondary? Just flush with the top or slighty above for best performance?[/b]
the belt should set approximately 1/8 of an inch above the secondary,, you also need to remove that piece of plastic that threads into the secondary and add or remove shims as a necessary,, do a search on how to check your belt deflection.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm still trying to get the correct amount of deflection on my 06' F7. With all of the factory shims and the O-ring in place under the white BD adjuster my belt is still not flush with the top of the secondary after I run it on the stand. The belt is brand new. Do I just need to go pick up some more washers at the dealer and then it should raise the belt up higher ??

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
So I'm still trying to get the correct amount of deflection on my 06' F7. With all of the factory shims and the O-ring in place under the white BD adjuster my belt is still not flush with the top of the secondary after I run it on the stand. The belt is brand new. Do I just need to go pick up some more washers at the dealer and then it should raise the belt up higher ??[/b]
YES

·
Banned
995 Posts
don,t worry about how much the belt sits up above the secondary sheeves. what counts is how much belt deflection you have at 15lbs push in the middle of the belt. should have 1" to 1/1/4 . put a straight edge on top of the drive and driven clutches(on top of the belt) and measure down with a stick ruler. ...............HAWK!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to get a washer and see if that helps. My deflection seems to be more than 1 1/4. When re-installing the white BD adjuster I have been just threading it until it stops then just carefully tightening it a little more. The adjuster does have to be tightened up ...correct? Otherwise it could work loose??

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,822 Posts
I'm going to get a washer and see if that helps. My deflection seems to be more than 1 1/4. When re-installing the white BD adjuster I have been just threading it until it stops then just carefully tightening it a little more. The adjuster does have to be tightened up ...correct? Otherwise it could work loose??[/b]
The stock plastic adjuster in a POS, and the directions in the manual are misleading. You can never really tighten up the adjuster, it will always tighten more spreading the sheves appart. You should remove the adjuster and see where the deflection is w/o it in place. The belt should be sitting way high above the sheves. More shims = more deflection. What I did was through out the stock piece and got myself a nice billet aluminum piece from HPE. Here is a link to the page on HPE's website. Scrol down to the bottom and it is the last item. Here is a pic of it installed on my sled.

[attachment=285317:Clutch_w..._HPE_adj.jpg]

It works really well, and is way easer to use than the stock piece.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The stock plastic adjuster in a POS, and the directions in the manual are misleading. You can never really tighten up the adjuster, it will always tighten more spreading the sheves appart. You should remove the adjuster and see where the deflection is w/o it in place. The belt should be sitting way high above the sheves. More shims = more deflection. What I did was through out the stock piece and got myself a nice billet aluminum piece from HPE. Here is a link to the page on HPE's website. Scrol down to the bottom and it is the last item. Here is a pic of it installed on my sled.

[attachment=285317:Clutch_w..._HPE_adj.jpg]

It works really well, and is way easer to use than the stock piece.[/b]

I see HPE is out of inventory for the LH thread adjuster. You can also check Fett Bros Racing.....no I don't have any vested interest in them. Simply adding that some folks on here have had good things to say about Fett's deflection adjuster. I have one, about to install, so I cannot speak from experience, just passing along what others have said.

Note, pretty sure you need the LH, not the Right Hand deflection adjuster for the 10.4 secondary.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I have the same problem with my 06 F7 Diamond drive.

The belt deflection is too loose and the belt is sitting 3/16" down from the edge of the clutch.

I'm a little confused on wether I'm suppose to turn the white plastic adjuster clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust it. (and how tight it needs to be) Or do I need to add shims behind it?

Does the white plastic adjuster actually adjust the deflection or does the shims adjust the deflection?

The belt use to be fine but is now sitting too low.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I have the same problem with my 06 F7 Diamond drive.

The belt deflection is too loose and the belt is sitting 3/16" down from the edge of the clutch.

I'm a little confused on wether I'm suppose to turn the white plastic adjuster clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust it. (and how tight it needs to be) Or do I need to add shims behind it?

Does the white plastic adjuster actually adjust the deflection or does the shims adjust the deflection?

The belt use to be fine but is now sitting too low.

Thanks.[/b]
The shims ajust it with the stock set up. YOu need to add shims to get the belt to ride higher. Tighten the stock belt till it chirps. The best way to set it if it don't make a sound is to put the rear of the sled in the air and at idle if the track wants to just creep ahead. If she is not creeping the DDrive sled is severly limp for top speed.

Don.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I got the Fett brothers adjuster, it makes seting the deflection a breeze in minutes and its all aluminum. The plastic from cat was replaced by the dealer this season on the 06's with a new bolt, shim washers and aluminum cap. But I still went with the adjuster, no need for shims.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
When I was riding this past weekend I noticed the belt riding too low on the clutch. I turned the white adjusting nut a few times clockwise till I heard a "click" in the clutch and it brought the belt back up to ~1/8" above the edge. When I finished riding for the day I checked it and it was back down. Is it possible the white adjusting nut is backing off? Would that cause it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
When I was riding this past weekend I noticed the belt riding too low on the clutch. I turned the white adjusting nut a few times clockwise till I heard a "click" in the clutch and it brought the belt back up to ~1/8" above the edge. When I finished riding for the day I checked it and it was back down. Is it possible the white adjusting nut is backing off? Would that cause it?

Thanks.[/b]
Is yours black in colour? The black one is backing out so they went to a reverce thread to keep it from spinning out. If it is white then it is right hand thread. Black dimond ajuster is the cats ass.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
White is LH thread. It works using shims, it is NOT a deflection adjuster to turn. Once the shims are on the end snug it up and thats it. If you want more or less deflection you need to add or remove shims from the end. If you dont want to spend the money on an aluminum fett brothers adjuster then see your dealer and get the updated bolt and aluminum spacer. That white adjuster is junk and cat has an update for it. The bolt goes through the adjuster and holds your clutch on with either cat setup. But the bolt is longer with the updated kit, what I don't like is you need to loosen the clutch bolt and mess with shims either way. The fett brothers allows you to use the stock small bolt to hold the clutch on while using their aluminum adjuster to get proper belt deflection, then it has an allen bolt you tighten and it locks the adjuster in place. The allen bolt is drilled for venting. It works lik you are thinking the cat adjuster does. It is fully adjustable with no use of shims. The more you tun it in, the more belt deflection. It is the best $30 I spent on the sled.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
White is LH thread. It works using shims, it is NOT a deflection adjuster to turn. Once the shims are on the end snug it up and thats it. If you want more or less deflection you need to add or remove shims from the end. If you dont want to spend the money on an aluminum fett brothers adjuster then see your dealer and get the updated bolt and aluminum spacer. That white adjuster is junk and cat has an update for it. The bolt goes through the adjuster and holds your clutch on with either cat setup. But the bolt is longer with the updated kit, what I don't like is you need to loosen the clutch bolt and mess with shims either way. The fett brothers allows you to use the stock small bolt to hold the clutch on while using their aluminum adjuster to get proper belt deflection, then it has an allen bolt you tighten and it locks the adjuster in place. The allen bolt is drilled for venting. It works lik you are thinking the cat adjuster does. It is fully adjustable with no use of shims. The more you tun it in, the more belt deflection. It is the best $30 I spent on the sled.[/b]
I agee with F250. The white and black ajuster will bend out of shape with a heavy spring and just a bit of heat. They start to cup and loose the deflection. Then you need to add shims again.

Don.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts