Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. Gents,

I am rolling around the idea of trading in my 05F7efi(std), 1400miles on her and in imaculate condition. The only reason i'm at this point is that i'm not impressed with my suspension choice nor the act clutching deal. The ride is simply too soft for my weight, and the whole 05 act clutching pisses me off. In saying that, I have seen 110-114mph on hard pack but just add 2" of fresh snow and she struggles at 90mph. It just shouldn't be that way.

My future considerations are demo 05ZR9efi SP or a demo Crossfire.

What could I expect from either choice as compared to my f-cat.

I'd ask my dealer but he is originally the one that said " oh no, standard suspension will be fine for your size". Ahhh "WRONG"!!! :banghead:

Any input would be nice. I wouldn't want to make a second mistake. Like they say, "Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me".

Thanks in advance
S.C.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The zr and xfire both have act (diamond drive) clutches.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Have you thought about having your shocks revalved, that would help out the suspension thing. The drop down in speed from hardpack to just a fresh snow cover sound more like a secondary issue, check with bikeman and see if the secondary mod he does fixes this ($120 US). Looneytune can revalve your shocks, you would have to do all 4. Then put on the 04 SP front shock springs (0703-556 $30 each so $60 US total) and then put on the front rear shock spring from an 05 SP (0704-936 $25 US). This shock stuff will put you equal to the 03/04 SP's and even better as the revalve will set them to your riding style/weight. Total for what I mention is $205 plus what ever the revalve would cost say $400 US total and you should be all set.

Crossfire top speeds reported from late winter on hard pack where no where near what you are getting from your F7 on hardpack. ZR9 would be fine but you will take a very large $$ hit on the F7. If you are seeing 114 from the F7 sounds like you got a good one and just getting things set the way you want it would be better than getting rid of it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am a big guy and I sat on the Crossfire and it did what every other standard sled does when I sit on it and thats settle quite a bit. I sit on my Sno-Pro either one of them and it doesn't hardly move. I haven't had a chance to ride my F7 yet as I picked it up a month ago but put about 400 miles on the F5 and it was great. Never bottomed out and finally felt as though I was getting the ride on a sled that the smaller guys I ride with get. Just my $.02 - Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
I would be careful on that one. Going 90 per is probably bang on for an F7 or zr9 in 2" of fresh stuff. To be more accurate I have a zr8 that works very well and will run exceptionally well in snow and got fooled by only going 97 on my F8 but then jump on the zr8 and it would hit about 102 or so. Try it again with the gps and F8 was at 97 and the zr8 was 91. The old speedos were a tad off and can make you feel faster than you really were. Two inches of the fresh stuff will no doubt slow you down to 90 plus as it should. You are losing contact with the ground and grip. Conditions will always show this. The crossfire is without a doubt slower in all but heavy snow conditions or off trail. If you want to go faster, this is not a good choice. I would do some clutching for the secondary, get your shocks revalves for your weight and then hold on. Alot less cost and still have the top end when the lake gets long. i ran a cross fire late last year with my zr8 and was not a race on the lake once I got going. The high lug track is great on the starts, but sucks for top end. Hope this helps.

Jester

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Originally posted by mikef7@Aug 24 2005, 08:31 AM
Have you thought about having your shocks revalved, that would help out the suspension thing. The drop down in speed from hardpack to just a fresh snow cover sound more like a secondary issue, check with bikeman and see if the secondary mod he does fixes this ($120 US). Looneytune can revalve your shocks, you would have to do all 4. Then put on the 04 SP front shock springs (0703-556 $30 each so $60 US total) and then put on the front rear shock spring from an 05 SP (0704-936 $25 US). This shock stuff will put you equal to the 03/04 SP's and even better as the revalve will set them to your riding style/weight. Total for what I mention is $205 plus what ever the revalve would cost say $400 US total and you should be all set.

Crossfire top speeds reported from late winter on hard pack where no where near what you are getting from your F7 on hardpack. ZR9 would be fine but you will take a very large $$ hit on the F7. If you are seeing 114 from the F7 sounds like you got a good one and just getting things set the way you want it would be better than getting rid of it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=845775
[/quote]

I'm sure the X-Fire is an awesome sled, but if I were you. I'd take Mike's advice. :div20:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure how to fix your DD, mine does the same. But for cheap! you can change all your shock oil to 7.5 wt. and install sno-pro rear springs. That's what I did and it's a whole different sled.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Originally posted by Stray Cat@Aug 24 2005, 01:35 AM
O.K. Gents,

I am rolling around the idea of trading in my 05F7efi(std), 1400miles on her and in imaculate condition. The only reason i'm at this point is that i'm not impressed with my suspension choice nor the act clutching deal. The ride is simply too soft for my weight, and the whole 05 act clutching pisses me off. In saying that, I have seen 110-114mph on hard pack but just add 2" of fresh snow and she struggles at 90mph. It just shouldn't be that way.

I'd ask my dealer but he is originally the one that said " oh no, standard suspension will be fine for your size". Ahhh "WRONG"!!!  :banghead:

Any input would be nice. I wouldn't want to make a second mistake. Like they say, "Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me".

Thanks in advance
S.C.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=845617
[/quote]
Another website(Maximum sled)is reporting the latest release from Cat-a Crossfire sno-pro with the same set up as a regular sno-pro. :banana:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Originally posted by Stray Cat@Aug 24 2005, 01:35 AM
O.K. Gents,

I'd ask my dealer but he is originally the one that said " oh no, standard suspension will be fine for your size". Ahhh "WRONG"!!!  :banghead:

Thanks in advance
S.C.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=845617
[/quote]

theres a misconception out there... people think that because of your body weight then you should or shouldnt need a sno pro... THATS BULL!

what determines if you need a sno pro is how agressive you ride!

sorry to hear your dealer was blowin smoke... :flush:

aside from that... the standard shock package is way too soft anyway and it is a good idea to rebuild/revalve the shocks to make a big difference from stock...
sno pro rear springs too...

fox shox should be rebuilt soon after new anyway

before getting another sled i think you should make these changes, ride it, and then decide... :div20:

as far as the clutching im not saying anything about that.... :doh:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guy's,

As usual, this site shines when one needs to rely on others experiences and knowlege. I will move in the direction of a suspension rebuild. Keep the sled as I love everything else about it and hope for a clutching breakthrough i the near future. It would be nice if cat looked after there riders and fixed the problem. Why do the sell a $10,000 dollar sled that doesn't fully perform???

At any rate, I still love cats. Unless something absolutely disasterous ocurrs with their product I'll stck with them. As i will Hard Core Sledder. :beerchug:

S.C.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Stray Cat...

The easiest thing for you to do it put on some heavier springs in the back...

I'm 290# and have yet to bottom out my F7 Sno Pro (and, yes, I am an aggressive rider)

I have mixed feelings about the Fox Floats....I like them but get pissed when I have to keep putting air in them...

I am going to a crossfire for the 15" track and length (plus it more rider forward design) HOWEVER, you will NOT see the speeds on the xfire that you did on your F7.....

My fastest on the F7SP was only 99mph (just need 1 more mph to make me happy)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts