Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I just got 85 gram weights and a tan secondary spring and want to put it in myself. If anybody could give me some tips and pointers it would be great .do I need any special tools or a walk through on steps to put in weights and put in secondary spring.were do I start. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,503 Posts
If you have a primary puller, that is the way to go. Heat the allen screws (they are loc-tited) locking the weights to the pin before you try to loosen them. its a 2 or 2.5mm allen and you need two 1/4" drive 7/16 deepwall sockets for the pins. You can do it in the sled if you compress the clutch (prybar behind spider) and then put a clamp over the sheaves to hold it there while you swap the weights. If you go that route, watch your fingers. you should have ten. They make tools to do it this way to but a pry bar and a common clamp will work.
On the secondary. remove from sled, place 12" or so of threaded rod through it, nut each end with washers to catch each side and hold it tight. tighten the nuts just a few turns with a wrench and the clutch will start to compress. stop there and apply heat to the sides of the helix where the 6 or 9 allen or torx head bolts go.... don't heat the heads, heat the helix. AC put lots of thread locker in there too. remove helix bolts then unload your threaded rod, swap spring, reinstall rod, tighten, reinstall helix bolts with loctite. 10x harder to do than the older chain drive secondary.

·
Banned
8,664 Posts
let me know how you like it afterwards. I'm thinking of changing my 05 zr clutching, undecided between the tan sec. spring and the orange f1000 spring.

thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
let me know how you like it afterwards. I'm thinking of changing my 05 zr clutching, undecided between the tan sec. spring and the orange f1000 spring.

thanks !last year i tried the orange spring was running with a few guys playing in the 660 feet when i took the stock white spring out and replaced it whith the orange spring it was like night and day it felt like a rocket untill i tried it against the same guys i was running all along lost at least 5-8 lenghts not kidding i put the white one back in and got the lenghts back i have had the tan d&d spring now for awile will be trying it soon[/b]
o and this was with the 85 grm dolton weights stock purple primary spring and a 50/42 dalton helix

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just put in my 85 gram weights thanks to the help of stronger800 with a little info, appreciate that. I used a pri bar and a clamp worked great. Had to heat up the allen key screw that holds the weights in place because of the lock tight but all went smooth. Took the secondary clutch off and going to install the tan spring tomorow .

·
Registered
306 Posts
let us know how it works i my try my tan spring this weekend at what rpm are you turning do you have a pipe or a y pipe or is it a stock exaust

·
Premium Member
20,503 Posts
Squash that secondary until it starts to compress a bit, then stop and apply heat to the helix sides. when reinstalling make sure the helix is fully seated squarely before you tighten the bolts. If you go back a day or two in teh Fseries forum there is a topic about installing a DD f1000 clutch kit that has a link to an old thread with pictures. I will go see if I can find it and TTT it back to the top of the Fseries section. I do not know how to "link"

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so far I got the shelf off the secondary had to apply heat to the screws holding the helix but they all came out thank god. I put the threaded rod thought and tightened it up just to take the pressure it worked great. Can I use red thread locker instead of blue lock tight when I put the screws back in thanks

·
Premium Member
20,503 Posts
Red is stronger right? and regularly calls for heat to remove. I wou;d only use blue and not very much of it. just get tham all nice and even. Likley you are done already, if you did red, just use more heat next time. Visually check the helix bolts after a few miles just for safety.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I,m not sure if its stronger or not but like you said just heat it up a little longer . changed the secondary spring to the tan spring and all went well just have to put the clutch back on the sled and see the differnce with the 85 gram weights and the tan spring over stock

·
Banned
8,664 Posts
last week i ordered the tan spring and the shift assist, should get them this week.. i'll post the results when it's all in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok I installed the 85 gram weights and the tan spring in the secondary.It now engages at 4000rpms. Stock it engaged at around 3400rpms . Never got to try it out yet but that should make it have a bit more rip, we'll see.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
not sure on that one all I know is before it had 83 gram weights in the primary and a white spring in the secondard and I changed to 85gram weights and a tan spring . Was engaging around 3400rpms now it engages at 4000rpms

1 - 20 of 23 Posts