Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just bought a 05 Fusion 900 and we're just wondering if 2 tanks of fuel should be using 1 tank (2 quarts) of oil?? Has anyone turned it down from factory setting and if so how far??It only has 400 miles on it. On the plus side it ran pretty much even with my RX-1, side by side, through fields from 25 til 85mph or so!!! Thanks in Advance, Jim

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My buddy just bought a 05 Fusion 900 and we're just wondering if 2 tanks of fuel should be using 1 tank (2 quarts) of oil?? Has anyone turned it down from factory setting and if so how far??It only has 400 miles on it. On the plus side it ran pretty much even with my RX-1, side by side, through fields from 25 til 85mph or so!!! Thanks in Advance, Jim[/b]
Mine used 2 gallons to 70 gallons of 93 octane. Plugs are always dark brown. Only use VES gold.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I rode yesterday and put on 130 miles 10.5 gallons of gas and 3/4 of a quart of oil.
runs great! Thats about 50:1 and a little over 12 MPG no complaints here.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B/A900, Thats a 35:1 Ratio!! Kinda rich on the oil!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that about normal?? 35:1?? Anyone turned it back from factory setting?? If so how far??

·
Registered
113 Posts
My buddy just bought a 05 Fusion 900 and we're just wondering if 2 tanks of fuel should be using 1 tank (2 quarts) of oil?? Has anyone turned it down from factory setting and if so how far??It only has 400 miles on it. On the plus side it ran pretty much even with my RX-1, side by side, through fields from 25 til 85mph or so!!! Thanks in Advance, Jim[/b]
Check the oil pump lever. Alot of people have trouble with it sticking open and not returnign to the stop at an idle. You can either clean it all the time or put a spring on it to help it return. I found mine was stuck open half way even at an idle. A friend borrowed my sled and went through a whole tank of oil on 1 tank of gas. Sled still ran good, but plugs were black. If your friends is stuck check the exhaust valves. When you pull the cover they will be full of oil. When I pulled mine the oil ran out on to the exhaust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check the oil pump lever. Alot of people have trouble with it sticking open and not returnign to the stop at an idle. You can either clean it all the time or put a spring on it to help it return. I found mine was stuck open half way even at an idle. A friend borrowed my sled and went through a whole tank of oil on 1 tank of gas. Sled still ran good, but plugs were black. If your friends is stuck check the exhaust valves. When you pull the cover they will be full of oil. When I pulled mine the oil ran out on to the exhaust.[/b]
i just got my 900 back together from a broken oil cable,looked like when the factor installed the cable they tighten the bellows and it turned the cable makin it on a bind and broke the top bellow.So from there i found a broken left frt motor mount bolt so i had to pull the motor which made it easy to replace and adjust the oil cable.lots of fun

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
Also make sure that your throttle on the handlebar only has .01 to .03 inch freeplay. If this gap is off, it affects the oil pump. I could see the marks on my oil pump weren't matching up and once I got rid of the excess freeplay in the throttle, it was dead on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts