Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a local mechanic that the 900 fusions have a crank problem and that about 80% of them have to get replaced at about 2000-2500 miles.

I am just in the middle of that mark with 2300 something. I guess the PTO side shatters and the clutch will come flying off? anyone see or hear of this problem?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm sure it's happened just like any brand but i have had my sled since the 04/05 season and on this site since 05 and haven't read too many posts related to cranks blowing.

·
Banned
8,931 Posts
I have. A few Fuse's here but mainly RMK's. Go to Snowest.com and you'll see a few there.

Make sure you torque the clutch bolt to 96ft/lbs vs the stated 50ft/lbs. There was a Team Tip Bulletin on this. Balancing clutch may help.

Anyway, the RMK's see more loaded full throttle runs along with instant full load/ full unload/full load/etc/etc that is tough on any crank.

There may be more but this is my understanding by reading....not experiencing.

·
Banned
8,931 Posts
Here, I found the bulletin. Clicking on it will make it large enough to read.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just checked with my dealer.

He sold 48 05 Fusions

He has not had one yet.

Other than replacing my 2 pistions there were only 2 other Fusions with engine problems. 1 crank was replaced because the rod broke and damaged the crank.

He said it is most likley related to over reving clutcth kits with pipes.

·
Banned
8,931 Posts
I have. A few Fuse's here but mainly RMK's. Go to Snowest.com and you'll see a few there.

Make sure you torque the clutch bolt to 96ft/lbs vs the stated 50ft/lbs. There was a Team Tip Bulletin on this. Balancing clutch may help.

Anyway, the RMK's see more loaded full throttle runs along with instant full load/ full unload/full load/etc/etc that is tough on any crank.

There may be more but this is my understanding by reading....not experiencing.[/b]
Ooops, forgot to mention, no, there aren't enough that I've read about to consider it a problem or to even worry about especially on a Fuse and the type of riding most do.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it is good that most of you have not heard or seen these happen. I was shocked about this fact as well.

900cfi:
What where you doing when it let go? I assume a clutch coming apart at 7500rpm would shred the machine.

Mine has been good to me, not one blown belt (even the 80 series when I was running that) the GFs fuse shredded one belt, but did not grenade it so it did not destroy anything.

All and all I am happy. I am loosing top speed by the season though, I might have rubber in the valves causing this, not sure. I went from a 118mph fuse to a 96mph fuse in 2 seasons.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Mine went at about 1800 miles. Clutch ripped the crank right off. And strange thing is I was just taking off and rpm was about 5000 then shot right up. Figured the belt busted so open the hood to change it and my clutch was on the bottom.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those that had the crank failures; was the clutch factory installed or was it removed/re-installed at some point?

I have seen the TSB that CFM posted in the past and figured that was only for a re-install.

I dont think the sled would be worth the cost of a crank replacement. If this is a major issue, we might have to unload these and pick up something else next season.

I really like my fuse now that it steers correctly ( kudos to USI on the X2s :) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts