Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

First of all great site. I am a central VT rider of ZRs for the past 5 years the last three on a ZR800. Love the sleds, know them, know how they ride etc. Question is what to buy next. I contemplated an RX1 Warrior but got over it as it is too heavy and slow coming out of the corners...or so I have been told. Now I have narrowed it down to the ZR9 or F7. Need some guidance from former ZR riders gone Firecat way. With the '03' issues not withstanding are you glad you made the move or do you wish you stuck with old reliable??

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Get the F7. Why buy a new sled in an old chassis. Then in a couple years you will want a new one cuz every other cat will be an F chassis sled. The firecat is lighter and has about the same power as the 900. You will be happy with either one though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
lake racer=zr900 trail racer=f7

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you like the zr800 and want a little more power then the 9 is the way to go. The ZR is a very forgiving sled to ride and has MORE power than the firecat. I find myself that the f7 you have to ride aggressively all the time to get anything out of it otherwise it beats you all over the place, where as the 900 can do both and be faster on top and much easier to work on. There is a quite a change going to the narrower seat. If I were you I'd try and get a buddies F7 for the day and put some miles on and see what you think. My next sled probably will be the zr900. <_<

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a 01 zr8 for 2 years. This year had a f7 standard. For my riding style the f is way better and the power is about the same although I like the reving and crispness of the 7 much better.

If you ride hard, in tight twisties and bumps (my guess VT has lots of this) you will immediately notice the weight loss in the f. Sure, the F likes more driver input (input is much easier to apply since the ergos are so much better and the seat is narrower) and the f really responds to imput, were as the zr chassis doesn't. Do not confuse the word input with work because it's not. The F is much more rewarding to ride, particularily when ridden hard.

F ALL THE WAY. I would never go back. ZR8 feels big, heavy and doesn't rail compared to F.

The ZR is more of a cruiser.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go with the f7, unless you got some extra pocket cash. This is the first year Cat has had the new diamond drive on any sled. There is bound to be some problems with it. Good Luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
you can't go wrong w/ either sled, but everybody is right on target with what they are saying above. But I think you will find that if you decide on an F7, you will not go back to a zr.
i had a zr8 for 2 years, went firecat, and i can't amagine riding the old chassis again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts