Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have every bolt out of the thing on every side , the heliex will move straight up and down , but the sides won't come apart , is there something i am missing ? .........i wanna get it all apart? please help

04 xc 800

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Sep 5 2005, 02:11 PM
i have every bolt out of the thing on every side , the heliex will move straight up and down , but the sides won't come apart , is there something i am missing ? .........i wanna get it all apart? please help

04 xc 800
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=861644
[/quote]
you need to be able to compress the spyder/spring to remove the snap ring. I made my own compress tool, SLP,EPI, and others sell them

http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/new/SLED-polaris.php

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Don't try to take that snap ring off without holding it with a compression tool ! It's about 8" long with a lot of tension behind it !

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Sep 5 2005, 02:11 PM

04 xc 800
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=861644
[/quote]
You can take the helix out. When you are pulling it up you need to rotate it at the same time to get it out. Like already mentioned don't try taking out the spring unless you have a compression tool.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i honestly think the thing is stuck , i can move the helix up and down , and when i pull it up i see no spring. the clutch is compressed all the way closed , and even when i put it in a press it doesn't close any more ! .....the snap ring seems to be lodged in there pretty damn good cause i try and try and try and the thing won't come off..... i stll can't get it apart, does anyone have an exploded view of it apart , pics ? how do you get the snap ring off , cause mine has no pressure on it.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Sep 8 2005, 10:33 AM
the snap ring seems to be lodged in there pretty damn good cause i try and try and try and the thing won't come off..... i stll can't get it apart,                                                       

cause mine has no pressure on it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=865609
[/quote]
2 issues here, FIRST, there IS MASSIVE PRESSURE ON YOUR SNAPRING!!!!

SECOND, the spring is under the cap with 2 rollers on it that the snap ring is retaining!! once the helix is removed(look for burrs/mushroomed ends on inner post of clutch closest to air box) especially if you are not the original owner(previous owner may have damaged this and causing helix non-removal :dunno: ), but above all, BEWARE OF SPRING UNDER PRESSURE,,,,,,, :augen41:

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Thats as far as you can get the helix out? Where it's at right there is it stuck or will it move? You need to get the helix out before you can get to the spring.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got it out , i am getting a new clutch under warranty because the belt remover hole stripped out, i just wanted to take this one apart. there was a big bur edge on the helix preventing it from comming out all the way easily.

how do you tell the difference a normal black/ red spring and a CCW Black/Red ?

and what should i get for a new clutch set up for next year ?

2004 xc sp 800 , v force 3 reeds , 144 woody studs , canister , slp air horn , slp boost bottle , jetted down 2 sizes , gutted air box.

last year i had stock helix , silver EPI spring , black /red secondary spring 68 gram weights , stock gearing.

I mostly do agressive trail riding , but i also do full field / lake blasts alot too.

i want a big improvement over last year :div20: .....and it was fast last year as it was . :banana:

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Sep 8 2005, 05:25 PM
how do you tell the difference a normal black/ red spring and a CCW Black/Red ? :banana:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866239
[/quote]
Stand the spring up vertical. Look down at it and look to see wich way the coils are running. They will run either cw or ccw. :div20:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey nickels , given all the information i gave , what do you recommend for a clutch set up for this year ? give polaris springs too cause that is where i will get them. thank you

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Sep 8 2005, 05:41 PM
hey nickels , given all the information i gave , what do you recommend for a clutch set up for this year ?  give polaris springs too cause that is where i will get them.  thank you
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866261
[/quote]
Primary I'd use almond/red or a almond spring, 68 or 70gm weights.
Secondary- red/black spring go with team # 420720 helix, or like a 70 or 66/44 66/42.
I'd add a tempaflow as well. Once you get everything dialed in it will run spot on all the time. Might want to change the gearing as well. :beerchug:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts