Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends 04 xc600 runs like crap on the regular fuel setting. It will pop a lot and back fire right off of idle. It seems to run fine on the top end. The sled was filled with 91 octane. When you switch it to the premium setting it runs perfectly. The carbs were out and everything cleaned, all setting are factory, but I am not sure if a 440 main was stock. When on the regular setting holding the choke open a little seems to help it run better. I am thinking that it must be an electrical issue

·
Registered
468 Posts
sounds like it could be lacking fuel on the bottom end. is the machine fully warmed up when its acting like this?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
My friends 04 xc600 runs like crap on the regular fuel setting. It will pop a lot and back fire right off of idle. It seems to run fine on the top end. The sled was filled with 91 octane. When you switch it to the premium setting it runs perfectly. The carbs were out and everything cleaned, all setting are factory, but I am not sure if a 440 main was stock. When on the regular setting holding the choke open a little seems to help it run better. I am thinking that it must be an electrical issue[/b]
Sounds to me like fuel screws. What are the fuel screw setting at??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds to me like fuel screws. What are the fuel screw setting at??[/b]
I believe the screws are at 2.25 which is factory. Yes it does this when fully warmed up. It is really bad when motors cold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe the screws are at 2.25 which is factory. Yes it does this when fully warmed up. It is really bad when motors cold.[/b]
i knew of a problem like that with my sled. i change the air jets infront of the carb and fixed that problem, and i also changed my airbox cones. but i always run it on the prem switch anyways. so thats my advise. i just had major elec problem went through every thing, i do not think its elctrical. bad gas maybe? well thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's popping & / or backfiring,it's lean,turn the fuel screws out 1/4-1/2 turn.[/b]

I have had the screws out an additional 1 1/2 turns but it doesn't seem to benefit. I cannot understand why it runs well when the key is at premium. I didn't think that the timing was changed on the bottom end between the regular and premium setting. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have had the screws out an additional 1 1/2 turns but it doesn't seem to benefit. I cannot understand why it runs well when the key is at premium. I didn't think that the timing was changed on the bottom end between the regular and premium setting. Any other thoughts?[/b]
check for air leak, carb to reed boot, loose or leeking, tore or cracked, its lean so its getting more air then fuel, if you pull the choke up a little its better right ? at idle try spraying a little starting fluid around the carbs, if it revs up ,you have a air leek.

·
Registered
44,356 Posts
Sounds to me like fuel screws. What are the fuel screw setting at??[/b]
He claims it runs perfectly in the premimum mode....would think that would rule out anything wrong with the carbs...got be electrical... or maybe something affecting the tps circut when switched to regular.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
He claims it runs perfectly in the premimum mode....would think that would rule out anything wrong with the carbs...got be electrical... or maybe something affecting the tps circut when switched to regular.[/b]
i agree, but the more you rule out , the better. is it perfect in prem. or good enought not to back fire. i would try everything i could before replacing expensive electrical parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts