Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size bolt makes the clutch puller ? and how far in untill the threads start ? what thread is it? thanks

i got alot oh hard bolts laying around with a huge metal lathe and i am going to try making my own.....any measurements and thread sizes would be appreciated! thanks - Art

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Ok, I have some info for you. The puller I have is smooth tapered bolt. The end of the puller wich goes into the primary is rounded.Starts out about 1/4" diameter then tapers to the thread size. The threads start 7 3/8" from the end of the bolt,and are about 2" long. Looks like only about 1" of the threads get used. Not sure what size thread it is though. Take out your bolt to the primary and thethread will be the same as the bolt. Hope this gets you a start. :beerchug:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have AutoCad drawing (dwg) + pdf for puller!
I can E-mail it for you...
Send address.

·
Banned
12,547 Posts
Metric 14 by 1.5mm.Kind of a weird size as I was told 14 by 1.25 is fine thread and 14 by 1.75 coarse thread.Had machinist at work lathe a copy out of grade 8 bolt and he said it took a long time to cut to shape and then had a heck of a time cutting threads as he used a die I bought and the bolt is just too hard.He cut threads crooked.If you can set up your lathe to cut threads go that route.Easier yrt is go buy one like I did after all that Don't trust the crooked threads if a clutch was a little tuff to get off.
Steve

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I don't know what value you put on your time, but even at $10 an hour you would have more into making one than buying one. And a properly hardened puller would work a lot better.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah , i said the hell with it and ordered one from my polaris dealer ...thanks for all your help and information anyways guys , it was worth a try tho !

·
Banned
12,547 Posts
BTW I was wrong on the thread size anyway,that was for 97-99 twins I think 3/4 fine is for 00-06 twins :doh: :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts