Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 switchback 700, very nice but very poor fuel economy. 55 miles to a tank of fuel at -10 C. The machine is stock from factory, any idea's out there? It also runs poor when you start to play in the fluff, it takes a good run on a trail to clear it up.

·
Registered
924 Posts
OMG 55 miles on a full tank of gas something is defonitly not right. I would start off with a couple small ajustments 1st check your oil pump ajustment, line up the mark on the oil pump lever with the mark on the oil pump body. 2 Swap out those 470 main jets for a set of 430s but make sure you gut the airbox, if you decide not to gut the air box install 450 main jets. I found turning the fuel screw down to 1 turn and the air screw out to a 1.25 turn made the throtle response a little better but make sure the carb slides are clearing the carb bores at WOT and that the TPS is set to 4.1 volts. For clutching try a polaris Alomnd/Blue 150/310 be sure to blance the stock 10-64 to 64grams and have the primary reshimed for 20,000 belt clearance. Run a 62/42.46 helix with a Red/Blue 140/200 secodary spring with 3 dealerin washers installed in the secondary clutch. And drop down to 22/39 from the stock 23/39. This setup is leaps and bounds better than the stock calibration hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think the spec Big Dog is referring to is for 800?

The 700 should be stock 440 mains.

420 is a safe and decent operating main jet spec for your sled @ sea level.
This will improve gas mileage and be less likely to load up at low speed and when it's warm.

The needles should be left in the stock middle clip position.

Even with stock jetting that sled shouldn't get that poor mileage.
Is the track too tight?
Is the rest of the carb settings stock?
Are you sure you're measuring your mileage right? Don't go by the float gauge of the gas cap.
When it reads empty you have lot's of gas left.
Even in stock form you should get 90 to 100 miles, you can squeeze 120 or so miles out of a tank trail riding when jetted cleanly.

The stock clutching is soft and overevs which burns gas for nothing as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the spec Big Dog is referring to is for 800?

The 700 should be stock 440 mains.

420 is a safe and decent operating main jet spec for your sled @ sea level.
This will improve gas mileage and be less likely to load up at low speed and when it's warm.

The needles should be left in the stock middle clip position.

Even with stock jetting that sled shouldn't get that poor mileage.
Is the track too tight?
Is the rest of the carb settings stock?
Are you sure you're measuring your mileage right? Don't go by the float gauge of the gas cap.
When it reads empty you have lot's of gas left.
Even in stock form you should get 90 to 100 miles, you can squeeze 120 or so miles out of a tank trail riding when jetted cleanly.

The stock clutching is soft and overevs which burns gas for nothing as well.[/b]
I will pull the mains out tonight but I think they are 470. As for the fuel mileage 33.6 litres \55 miles = 7.4 MPG. This is not on the trail, our trail system is not up and running yet, this is breaking trail, running on hard packed snow etc. Last winter on the trails I would get about 80 to 90 miles at -20 to-25. Is their a special proceedure some place out their so that I can check all the carb adjustments?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well....Sorry on the jet spec.

I consulted Polaris and the 04/05 700 does indeed spec 470 mains.

The only other difference is the slide is also a different spec using a 1.5 where the earlier sleds used 2.0.
Same needle/pilot and airbox too.

I wasn't aware they were different.
maybe a different ignition wit the DET system?

At any rate, sorry for the confusion.
My experience with 700ves setup/jetting is with 3 different 03 model year sleds, PROX/SKS/XC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts