Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody noticed that the handlebar to ski ratio is weird on these sled's. the handlebar's turn a way's, but the ski's do not. my sled just does not turn very short at all. my pro x2 doesn't seem that bad and it turn's shorter than my 800. has anybody else noticed this with the pro xr 800's or is it just me? is there anything that you can do to make them turn shorter. i know my 440 iq will turn inside the radius of my 800!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
make the arm on the bottom on the steering post longer....could pretty easily tack something on and see how the ratio changes on the stand. If you like it weld it all together and you're set. On my xr 440 I like the ratio, but mines not quite stock. When I made the new post I positioned the draglink hole about 1/2" further out.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
well i think the xr could use a more narrow turning radius, they are not famous for turning in fast, i was thinking in the same as Squid and modifieing the steering... :frech32:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is just a pain in the ass, thank god if have reverse on the sled, because you can even turn around on a normal size trail. in the powder, it doesn't seem to bother me, but around home on the flatland's, it is a pain!

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
my 136 tracked sled turns a 3' tighter circle then a skidoo rev renagade.....both sleds are 136" and 1.25" tall tracks mine was studded the skidoo was not so Its not all that slow of turning if you have good skis and have the front end set up good.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
my 136 tracked sled turns a 3' tighter circle then a skidoo rev renagade.....both sleds are 136" and 1.25" tall tracks mine was studded the skidoo was not so Its not all that slow of turning if you have good skis and have the front end set up good.[/b]
Thats not what hes talking about though....its the ratio between the bars and skis, not the actuall turning radius.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thats not what hes talking about though....its the ratio between the bars and skis, not the actuall turning radius.[/b]
thats exactly what i meant also, the ratio between the bars/skis isn´t exactly ideal.. i think i will fab something up to adjust this... :beer4:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I went out to the garage and while standing I paid attention to that ratio. Mines looks to be real close to 1:1. Bars and skis stay at the same angle. On the 800 are the bars turning faster then the skis?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If you just want to change the ratio,its a hell of a lot easier to do at the skis.Just get a couple of the old steel steering arms,weld them up,and drill a new 3/8" hole closer to the spindle.Fool around this way untill you get what you want,then mod your billet arms to match. Beats the hell out of pulling all the steering out each time.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you just want to change the ratio,its a hell of a lot easier to do at the skis.Just get a couple of the old steel steering arms,weld them up,and drill a new 3/8" hole closer to the spindle.Fool around this way untill you get what you want,then mod your billet arms to match. Beats the hell out of pulling all the steering out each time.[/b]

exactly what i have been thinking, but i figured it was just a stupid idea, does the older steel ones work on the newer spindles?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The splined part is the same,what you will end up doing is heat and bend to get the vertical offset to match your arms. Then if yours are not indexed straight with the ski,you have to notch them,bend them in to the reqd angle,and weld.Now you can weld up the tierod end hole and put a new one where you want it. I'm not telling you to do this and then ride it forever with the welded up arms because I have no idea about your skill with a torch and mig/tig equipment.For most purposes this would be an R& D project,then when you know what works,you build new ones or correctly mod the alum ones .

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The splined part is the same,what you will end up doing is heat and bend to get the vertical offset to match your arms. Then if yours are not indexed straight with the ski,you have to notch them,bend them in to the reqd angle,and weld.Now you can weld up the tierod end hole and put a new one where you want it. I'm not telling you to do this and then ride it forever with the welded up arms because I have no idea about your skill with a torch and mig/tig equipment.For most purposes this would be an R& D project,then when you know what works,you build new ones or correctly mod the alum ones .[/b]
i think i can manage that, no probs regarding the welding equippment.. í will start to look for some steel arms aright away.. thanks for the help :beerchug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts