Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering guys if anyone has had any problems with theres yet ?? Just picked mine up and put 50 miles on it and love it..but wondering if i should be looking for anything out of the ordinary ?? Any recalls come out or any problems with parts failing ?? Let me know what ya got :rolleyes:

·
Registered
942 Posts
How's your gas mileage? Mine's terrible. I just got 50 miles from a tankfull this past Sunday on my new leftover 02. However, I love the ride so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine seems to be fine..think i have half a tank left..seems right..i figured about 100 miles or so out of these tanks..but seems weird your sucking that much down..anything to do with the efi ?? I'll keep my eyes open for any other posts on the gas situation but the ride deff is sweet..nothing like the smart ride suspension :D

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
No problems so far with about 400 miles. I am keeping a close eye and ear to the starter which is sounding a little strange and grease is appearing at the bendix drive.
The ride is SWEET :D :D :D
The motor is strong, Last week I had the chance to line up against a 2001 Polaris 700 XC and beat him at the 1000 ft. mark by 3 sled lengths-TWICE
This sled is perfect- Easy to ride ,easy on the eyes and easy on fuel. It can run with the big dogs for a little while but brings me home without needing the Advil or a Chiropractor :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have to agree......this sled is damn near perfect! I get 12-14 mpg all the time ('02 ZL600SS EFI). 1200 miles so far and the only problem was a handwarmer that wouldnt work on low from the factory....that is it.

I can see why big guys would need the stiffer rear springs though.....I weigh 170 and keep the rear springs on the middle setting most of the time. I cranked it up to the stiffest yesterday and it still rode great but took the big hits with ease where it would bottom more on the middle setting. I know the '03's rear springs are a different part #....dont know if they are stiffer though.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Just remember that when the gauge reads empty, it has probably at least 4 gallons in it yet. Can be decieving. I have an 02 standard zl 600 efi and Love it. Got just under 15 mpg the last time out a couple of weeks ago. Will lift the ski-s at 50 plus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cat put your springs on that way because they work better . Yes they can be a pain to adjust , but you should not have to keep adjusting them . They goofed but are not issuing a different collar . Check with your dealer he will conferm . :wub: :huh: :D :D :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by ptzrt@Jan 13 2003, 05:20 PM
Cat put your springs on that way because they work better . Yes they can be a pain to adjust , but you should not have to keep adjusting them . They goofed but are not issuing a different collar . Check with your dealer he will conferm . :wub: :huh: :D :D :D
:blink:

You lost me? What collar?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I was a little off . SS'S came with spring reversed with tit on top and adj. collar on bottom . There is no new spring that I know of with tit on opposite end . My dealer said they turned spring over because the sled rode better like that . So adj. collar is on the bottom of shock and tit on spring on top looking at shock . It can be adj. it's just harder ,but I would leave it . I have a ss800 , I am getting 16 miles a gallon . No problems except rear rode bad . I am 200lbs and tall . Seems ss's ride better with people that hug the gas tank . We took coupling blocks off and installed a lenco cross shaft . Rides great now and I have spring blocks set on one . Also dealer put heavyer oil in shocks . It also increases rear traval to 16.5" . Hope this helps .I have had no other problems . :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have my spring set to the max, and it seems to still be nice and cushy, with not much bottoming. On the gas mileage thing, the gauge drops quick, but I think on empty, you still have a good reserve. Still, seems like I'm only getting 10 or 11 mpg. Do they do better when they have more mileage on them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys..i appreciate all the feedback you gave :D This is my 1st new sled in a few years so i just wanted to get the low down on any problems that have come up so far !! Sounds like alot of people are just out there enjoying them and thats exactly what i'm doing..200 miles now and cant wait to put on more !! Thank god for this site..its the best thing since sliced bread ;) Well..have fun guys and keep up the good work !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife has a 2002 ZL600SS with 4000 miles on it and I have a 2003 ZL600 ESR SS with 600 miles. Both of these machines ride and handle almost perfectly since I installed Woody's Dooly's runners. Last year an APV cable broke and had problems with the electric starter that I had installed by the dealer. This year a bolt came off on the bracket of the flexible starter shaft; had it fix last week and since then, it's working fine even with the auto remote starter. It sure turns head when I start it from inside a restaurant.
As for mileage, I get from 15 to 15.6 miles per imperial gallon (1/5 more than a U.S. gal.). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
437 Posts
i have a 02 Z 570 SS Fan. It is my first sled, it is really nice. Does the ss really work i only ride this sled so i dont know what a snowmobile would be like with out ss. But any ways it tops out at 81 mph, thats not bad for a fan. I hope next year i can ride with the big dogs on an f6 or zl 600ss

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've got an 02 ZL SS 600 EFI and I more or less hate it. I weigh 250lbs and it bottoms non stop from 20mph to 100mph over small medium and large bumps. My spring blocks are on the highest setting. I'm ordering new springs this week, and if that doesn't solve my problem I'm ripping out the smartride shocks and replacing them with some Fox units. I also get my ass handed to me by all my buddies when we race in the fields. I've ridden some friends ZR sleds, and I never bottom them, and they don't lean nearly as much through the corners. I have to hang off the inside of my sled to keep it on the snow.

I'm also not getting nearly the same milage as most of you guys. I always get between 10 and 11 mpg. Of course, Vermont's trails are hilly, bumpy and winding, so that may have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Cat does have a spring upgrade kit for the SS to deal with the problem you mention. Previous posts on this site lead me to believe the good dealers are changing springs under warranty.
You are not going to match a ZR for it's ditch banging ability- the ZL is more trail rider type. The SS is not Super Sport- more like Super Soft in it's ability to bring home the rider in comfort.
Get a Firecat if you want to be sno-crossing every weekend and kick ass during the week.
Get a ZR for a truly great sport sled that rocks.
Get a ZL if you want to trail ride with friends and family with confidence.
Get a ZL SS if you want to ride 500 miles every weekend and have to work all week to pay for it with out feeling pain Monday, Tuesday and part of Wednsday :D :D :D

I have heard that taking the coupling blocks out will give you more suspension travel and less bottoming. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Taking them out would make the second half of the travel softer because the front and rear springs of the rear suspension are not working together. This would cause more bottoming, not less!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts