Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after my buddy was complaining that his sled wouldnt idle down after a run i thought we had left the neddles down from racing in the spring time. so after moving the clips back to the middle position it was still doing the same thing ,[idling at about 4000rpm]. so we took the carbs off to see if we had a cracked reed boot and low and be hold there was a piece of the slide from the carb that had broken off. so we were figuring that this was the cause of an air leak and the high idlebut is this normal on these carbs? ive never seen this happen before . also, the neddles seem to have a little wear on them about 1" from where you put the clips on. any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
This is a common problem on these carbs. It's apparently due to engine vibration. You must replace the slides with the lighter weight black aluminum ones. They are 2.0 cutaways. You can use the Cat part #6506-119. It's cheaper.

The needle wear is another issue. All of them seem to do it. Must be also from vibration. Haven't heard of any problems yet. Probably won't be as much problem with the black slides.

If idle is still too high after a run, you can reduce the pilot airjet at front of carbs from .9 to .7.

Phil

·
Registered
99 Posts
The green slides do break off. I think they are called piston valve assmeblies. I had this happen a couple years back. I had the exhaust off and I looked in the cylinder and saw the the piston was cracked. I started tearing it down and took the carbs off and I noticed the same thing a chunk of the slide gone and it looks like it went through the motor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for the info . like i said it was the first time i saw this and it sucks that it happened so early in the year but at least he got in about 500 miles so foar this year. will keep you posted on what the dealership thinks of this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my buddy went to the dealership to get the new slide {black} and they nailed him 99.95 can plus tax for it. they told him that black is the new one from mukuni. oh well live and learn. we finished it up today and it runs like a top. it never hurt the reeds and only left 2 little marks on top of the piston [lucky bastard] so guys a girls you may want to start checking the conditions of your flatslides every year, especially if they are green in color.

·
Registered
675 Posts
99 bucks.? damn.

This happen to be pto side? Looked and mine is worn, other two look ok... At idel with the airbox off you'll hear a little rattle almost like loose clutch wieghts. Just touch your finger on the slide and the noise will stop.

THe cat slides are the same? heard $52us I think from Roger.. Will price this week.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you still have any of the green slides, I'd replace them all! The first one that broke on mine stuck in the reed cage, the next one went through the engine! It had nearly 8,000 miles, so wasn't too major, though having that cylinder replated added to the cost of the rebuild!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes it was thePTO side.the one on the mag side has a few wear marks in too, so were going to change them all next week when he is home again from work. he got lucky this time. im just wondering if there is a cheaper place to get them here in canada. i checked royal and they dont sell them so ill look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
99 bucks.? damn.

This happen to be pto side? Looked and mine is worn, other two look ok... At idel with the airbox off you'll hear a little rattle almost like loose clutch wieghts. Just touch your finger on the slide and the noise will stop.

THe cat slides are the same? heard $52us I think from Roger.. Will price this week.[/b]
So that is what that noise is. I had a slide brake 2 years ago and had to replace the piston, thankfully the cylinder was allright! This year I have been hearing that rattle with the airbox off and I couldn't figure out what it was. I was hoping it wasn't something internal, but the engine runs great! Sounds exactly like clutch weights rattling......thank you!! So, can I use the cat black ones?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yes they are identical. I put them in beginning of this season. However, price at Cat dealer was not any better than the Polaris dealer. Might help if ya know someone that works there....might be able to get ya a deal?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Called Poo dealer..

$94.99 cdn , updated part #3131252 ,

Called local Cat Dealer

$72.29 cdn cat part #6506-119, could not tell me what is was from, but a valid part, 3 day order.

I've messaged a buddy, he runs a custom bike shop on the side. Will see if he can source and post what I find.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Called Poo dealer..

$94.99 cdn , updated part #3131252 ,

Called local Cat Dealer

$72.29 cdn cat part #6506-119, could not tell me what is was from, but a valid part, 3 day order.

I've messaged a buddy, he runs a custom bike shop on the side. Will see if he can source and post what I find.[/b]
Thats a good price. Local cat dealer could only give them to me for around $80ish......and that was with a 10% discount! I bought them cause it was better than the $95 each from Polaris. Upon removal of my old green ones, the slides were starting to get sharp. If ya got more than 3000 miles, I'd change them ASAP.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Work has kept me busy, I need to verify the Vm stamp on the carb and get the dimensions of the slide in MM to be sure. My buddy is telling me approx $60 cdn. and he can get them!.
Will post what I find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts